U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,158,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I dunno -my average southern meal includes fresh squash, vine ripened tomatoes, collard greens and black eyed peas...or okra, potatoes, cabbage, sweet corn, turnips and turnip greens, etc etc. Growing up in the south, we always had plenty of fresh veggies. Oh and I nearly forgot - peaches, blackberries, watermelons, cantalopes, muscadines, plums, pears, strawberries, pomegranates, persimmons, etc. Oh, and sassafrass tea.
I should have specified but I mean that Jamaican meals often feature uncooked fruits and vegetables. Lots of southerners tend to cook their veggies with fat with much of the fiber and nutrients cooked out of them.

But I do agree about southerners still having access to fresh fruits and veggies. Growing up we had relatives that would bring us peaches, muscadines and Texas oranges from the country. My grandma also grows her own hot peppers and squash.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,396,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, the irony.
First of all, I don't believe you understand the definition of the word "irony."

Second, at no point did I ever say anything in my region was intrinsically superior to anything in any other. I've talked about how good southern BBQ is, and how good NYC-area Italian food is, without once saying my region is in any way superior. So explain yourself here. Be accountable.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 AM

18,659 posts, read 23,235,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are.
I see no difference in chain restaurants in the South from the rest of the country. There may be slightly more of them in certain areas such as Orlando FL, or Myrtle Beach SC, because of the sheer volume of tourists who want to eat at a place that is a known quantity.

Chain restaurants are not better or worse in any region of the US. Sometimes they may serve some regional specialties, but other than that a chain restaurant is the same anywhere.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:24 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,301 times
I think we've demonstrated several examples of the opposite in this thread.

Chick Fil A Location Map

Zaxby's location map

Boston Market location map

Whattaburger location map

In-And-Out Burger location map

Friendly's location map

Popeyes location map

Jack in the Box location map

Carls Jr location map

Hardees location map (same company as Carls Jr)

Dunkin Donuts location map

Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM

44,728 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I should have specified but I mean that Jamaican meals often feature uncooked fruits and vegetables. Lots of southerners tend to cook their veggies with fat with much of the fiber and nutrients cooked out of them.

But I do agree about southerners still having access to fresh fruits and veggies. Growing up we had relatives that would bring us peaches, muscadines and Texas oranges from the country. My grandma also grows her own hot peppers and squash.
YUM. Love me some muscadines.

We're having some peaches for dinner tonight, with a souffle I'm making.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,745,849 times
Shoney's locations-
Attached Thumbnails
Chain restaurants in the South vs. Chain restaurants in the North-shoneys.png  

Old 09-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Interesting interactive map of burger joints tweeted about per region - Northeast "wins" by a landslide!

Infographic: The United States Of Burgers | Co.Design | business + design

And wow, this is a cool map as well - and Sonic definitely dominates in the ArkLaTex, which actually surprised me. McDonalds and Burger King dominate in the Northeast.
http://www.datapointed.net/2012/08/b...ger-territory/

Old 09-09-2014, 02:41 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,301 times
Quote:
Interesting interactive map of burger joints tweeted about per region - Northeast "wins" by a landslide!

Infographic: The United States Of Burgers | Co.Design | business + design
Nice find. Here's the original, interactive one: http://www.statsocial.com/burgerjoints/

Please note, folks, this is not location, but Tweeting interest.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,964,013 times
Quote:
YUM. Love me some muscadines.

We're having some peaches for dinner tonight, with a souffle I'm making.
What time is dinner, Kathryn??? Yummmm...........

Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
What time is dinner, Kathryn??? Yummmm...........
LOL - no chain restaurant eating around here tonight!

We did, however, eat at Chuy's for lunch, so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or