U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 03:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting interactive map of burger joints tweeted about per region - Northeast "wins" by a landslide!

Infographic: The United States Of Burgers | Co.Design | business + design

And wow, this is a cool map as well - and Sonic definitely dominates in the ArkLaTex, which actually surprised me. McDonalds and Burger King dominate in the Northeast.
Beefspace, Revisited – Colorful Renditions Of Burger Territory
We don't really get many other burger chains besides McDonald's / Burger King / Wendy's here, many of the other ones mentioned in CD I've never heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 03:24 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
You never hear anyone talking about how good northern food is. Look at all the cooking and food magazines from the grocery stores. They're all mostly southern foods.
In part this is because there are certain themes which run throughout the cooking of the South that can be considered to comprise a definable "Southern Cuisine". There is no single "Northern Cuisine" for comparison.

Food culture in the North is comprised of several different traditions, none of which dominate the entire region. Where I grew up, most homespun mom n pop restaurats were Italian, Jamaican, and Soul food (which rather ironically is Southern food), for example. New England has a host of its own food culture from English and Portuguese traditions, Pennsylvania has Pennsylvania Dutch (German) food traditions.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Italian-American is a very widespread cuisine in the North and while certainly not restricted to the region, It did develop there from Italian immigrants adapting to the availability of foods in the Northeast coastal cities. Also, when I think of Italian-American food in the North, I think of seafood as playing a central role. Does this hold true in the south as well? Just curious.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,401,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Italian-American is a very widespread cuisine in the North and while certainly not restricted to the region, It did develop there from Italian immigrants adapting to the availability of foods in the Northeast coastal cities. Also, when I think of Italian-American food in the North, I think of seafood as playing a central role. Does this hold true in the south as well? Just curious.
It does, but I think that might have to do with regions. When I lived in Western NY, seafood was not particularly a central role, as that area had Southern Italian roots (red sauce, sausage, beef). What you're describing is Northern Italian. Were you coastal?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:13 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,953,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Is that rutabaga on the plate in the first picture? Chain restaurants need to serve more rutabaga. Hey, I had to eat it. It wasn't bad with gravy.
Apparently so. Here is the daily menu at Mrs. Wilkes in Savannah (all of these items are placed on the table in bowls and you pass it around family style):

MEATS: Fried Chicken, Sausage, Beef Stew, Meat Loaf

VEGGIES: Cabbage, Snap Peas, Macaroni & Cheese, Butter Beans, Black-eyed Peas, Rutabega, Squash, Rice & Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Candied Yams, Pickled Beets, Red Rice, Collard Greens, Okra & Tomatoes, Brown Rice, Potato Salad, Apple Salad, Macaroni Salad, English Peas & Noodles, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw *Seasonal Menu subject to change. (Not all items available every day)

Old 09-09-2014, 08:27 PM

12,646 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
It does, but I think that might have to do with regions. When I lived in Western NY, seafood was not particularly a central role, as that area had Southern Italian roots (red sauce, sausage, beef). What you're describing is Northern Italian. Were you coastal?
Seafood is big in Southern Italy, too. When I was staying in a small town on the Amalfi Coast called Vietri-Sul-Mare, chefs at local restaurants took a lot of pride in the freshly caught fish they had displayed at the restaurant to eat. The fish were sitting there on display, freshly caught, waiting for someone to order them. Displaying freshly caught fish is a cultural thing, a sense of pride for the cooks who want to show you their fish is fresh. Seafood is a big part of coastal cuisine anywhere, I think, and Italy is a pretty small peninsula of a country. My family all come from the Naples area and Sicily and fish was always a big part of meals - especially at Christmas - feast of the seven fishes. So I'm not sure that fish is more of a northern Italian thing, unless you meant northern (in the US) Italian food.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Seafood is big in Southern Italy, too. When I was staying in a small town on the Amalfi Coast called Vietri-Sul-Mare, chefs at local restaurants took a lot of pride in the freshly caught fish they had displayed at the restaurant to eat. The fish were sitting there on display, freshly caught, waiting for someone to order them. Displaying freshly caught fish is a cultural thing, a sense of pride for the cooks who want to show you their fish is fresh. Seafood is a big part of coastal cuisine anywhere, I think, and Italy is a pretty small peninsula of a country. My family all come from the Naples area and Sicily and fish was always a big part of meals - especially at Christmas - feast of the seven fishes. So I'm not sure that fish is more of a northern Italian thing, unless you meant northern (in the US) Italian food.
Sounds like a coastal thing, which makes sense.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM

12,646 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Quote:
Sounds like a coastal thing, which makes sense.
Yes, coastal in all of Italy and probably the US too, in general. You can get seafood in Minnesota, for example, but it's not the same as getting in at a NJ restaurant that sits on the ocean. I'd trust the NJ restaurant more with the seafood to be honest. It's definitely fresher, no questions asked, if the restaurant is good. Some places catch fish to serve every single day at coastal seafood restaurants.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 AM

50 posts, read 62,115 times
I think it all comes down to White Castle vs. Krystal Burger.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 AM

14,967 posts, read 31,357,878 times
Quote:
Hipsterism aside, most people eat at fast food restaurants. A lot of people just lie about it because this country's culture believes in shaming people into desired behavior.

Nonetheless, in the South, you have more it seems. Zaxby's, Chick Fil-A, Raising Cane's, Hardee's, Fatz, Dairy Queen, Firehouse Subs

In the North you have Tim Horton's and Boston Market.

In the west, you have In and Out Burger, Tastee Freez, Whattaburger.

I'm not saying that you can't have a few of each in other areas, just where the concentration lies.
Whataburger is a Southern gulf coastal chain. They may not have made it to the Carolinas yet, but they're here in south Alabama and the FL panhandle.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Whataburger is a Southern gulf coastal chain. They may not have made it to the Carolinas yet, but they're here in south Alabama and the FL panhandle.
Yeah I noticed that when I posted the location map on the previous page yesterday. For some reason, I thought they were out in California but I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or