U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,148 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Reputation: 63907

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Whataburger is a Southern gulf coastal chain. They may not have made it to the Carolinas yet, but they're here in south Alabama and the FL panhandle.
Whataburger has expanded to more states, but it's a Texas based chain (based out of San Antonio).

Whataburger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally don't care for Whataburger but then I'm not a huge burger fan anyway so they're not losing much business from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You can get seafood in Minnesota, for example, but it's not the same as getting in at a NJ restaurant that sits on the ocean. I'd trust the NJ restaurant more with the seafood to be honest. It's definitely fresher, no questions asked, if the restaurant is good. Some places catch fish to serve every single day at coastal seafood restaurants.
Right, because Minnesota doesn't border the largest freshwater lake in the world in a region that contains 85% of the country's fresh water as well as the largest river on the continent and a good 15,000 inland lakes (plus thousands more in WI/MI). GTFO with your home state provincialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,410,019 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, because Minnesota doesn't border the largest freshwater lake in the world in a region that contains 85% of the country's fresh water as well as the largest river on the continent and a good 15,000 inland lakes (plus thousands more in WI/MI). GTFO with your home state provincialism.
LOL

Chill down man. Half of your posts are extremely jumpy. Replace Minnesota with South Dakota and you wouldn't be upset. Not sure the poster was really after Minnesota in particular.

For me, I heavily prefer the red sauce, meatballs, chicken parm Southern Italian stylings because that's what I was raised on. When someone tells me they had "WHOLE ROASTED SNAPPER, cucumber & argula salad, coppa-lentil vinaigrette, calabrian chili, grilled lemon" at an Italian restaurant, I instinctively go "THAT'S NOT ITALIAN!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,173,154 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, because Minnesota doesn't border the largest freshwater lake in the world in a region that contains 85% of the country's fresh water as well as the largest river on the continent and a good 15,000 inland lakes (plus thousands more in WI/MI). GTFO with your home state provincialism.
When most people think of seafood they're thinking of saltwater animals. Also Lake Superior is only the largest by surface area but not volume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times
Reputation: 17611
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, because Minnesota doesn't border the largest freshwater lake in the world in a region that contains 85% of the country's fresh water as well as the largest river on the continent and a good 15,000 inland lakes (plus thousands more in WI/MI). GTFO with your home state provincialism.
SEAfood. I didn't know you could get crab and lobster and shrimp and clams from a freshwater lake?

Learn to read. I did not say "fish" I said "seafood." Meaning from the sea - the oceans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:13 AM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times
Reputation: 17611
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
LOL

Chill down man. Half of your posts are extremely jumpy. Replace Minnesota with South Dakota and you wouldn't be upset. Not sure the poster was really after Minnesota in particular.

For me, I heavily prefer the red sauce, meatballs, chicken parm Southern Italian stylings because that's what I was raised on. When someone tells me they had "WHOLE ROASTED SNAPPER, cucumber & argula salad, coppa-lentil vinaigrette, calabrian chili, grilled lemon" at an Italian restaurant, I instinctively go "THAT'S NOT ITALIAN!"
I could have picked any state that is inland, away from the ocean, and my argument would have been the same. For some reason MN came to mind first.

Kansas. Happy now cheese plate? And since you seem to think I'm just repping my home state, let me pick a different coastal state that will have fresh seafood, and this is a really well known example. Would you rather eat a Maine lobster freshly caught straight from Maine waters in a restaurant in coastal Maine or would you rather order it at some "seafood" restaurant in Kansas after the lobster was sent halfway across the country? I like my seafood fresh, but then again I also despise nearly all chains so maybe I'm just a different eater than some people, if you will.

I'm sure MN serves very great, fresh freshwater fish.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 09-10-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
SEAfood. I didn't know you could get crab and lobster and shrimp and clams from a freshwater lake?

Learn to read. I did not say "fish" I said "seafood." Meaning from the sea - the oceans.
There are many meanings of the word, and the one I'm familiar with includes freshwater; Webster seems to agree: "Edible aquatic animals excluding mammals, but including both freshwater and ocean creatures." Seafood - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

But then you would know more than Merriam-Webster I suppose.

Your point regarding freshness at the source vs food trucked in is quite obviously true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:38 AM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,541,927 times
Reputation: 17611
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There are many meanings of the word, and the one I'm familiar with includes freshwater; Webster seems to agree: "Edible aquatic animals excluding mammals, but including both freshwater and ocean creatures." Seafood - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

But then you would know more than Merriam-Webster I suppose.

Your point regarding freshness at the source vs food trucked in is quite obviously true.
Of course you are - you're from the Midwest, you live nowhere near the ocean. I've been living 30 miles from the ocean my whole life so I'm more familiar with the term relating to the ocean.

Seafood on the coasts means "from the ocean," not "from the lakes." I would simply call fish from lakes, well, "fish" because it doesn't come from the sea. But that's just my view, and probably the view of other "coasters" as well.

Now this is just semantics. Given the fact that my point was not about MN or lakes, but about freshness of food caught from the ocean, as you acknowledged, I don't think your initial response to me was necessary. Don't take everything as an attack on the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,509,650 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Of course you are - you're from the Midwest, you live nowhere near the ocean. I've been living 30 miles from the ocean my whole life so I'm more familiar with the term relating to the ocean.

Seafood on the coasts means "from the ocean," not "from the lakes." I would simply call fish from lakes, well, "fish" because it doesn't come from the sea. But that's just my view, and probably the view of other "coasters" as well.

Now this is just semantics. Given the fact that my point was not about MN or lakes, but about freshness of food caught from the ocean, as you acknowledged, I don't think your initial response to me was necessary. Don't take everything as an attack on the Midwest.
Sea: the expanse of salt water that covers most of the earth's surface and surrounds its landmasses.
Seafood = Food from the Sea

I don't think there's any reason for anyone to include fresh water food so I definitely agree with JerseyGirl here (though I'm pretty sure it's not up for debate lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
 
3,971 posts, read 3,507,178 times
Reputation: 6402
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top