U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:15 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and amen.

I travel a lot. When I'm home in East Texas, I know the local dives and locally owned businesses, and they are my personal choice when eating out. However, when I'm on the road, even with the help of "Urban Spoon" or "Trip Advisor" I still have had inferior dining experiences in locally owned establishments, even though I would, in theory, prefer to support those. So...now when I'm traveling, I'm defaulting to the Cracker Barrel or Applebees or Macaroni Grill. So hate me, I guess. I'm devastated.
I've never been so underwhelmed with food at a local eatery out of town. I'd rather have decent food there than crappy food at a chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Oh come on! Chilli's is good. Edible. Decent.
You can also eat Georgia Pacific paper, doesn't mean it's a good choice.

At least eat local paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Oh come on! Chilli's is good. Edible. Decent.

I see no difference between chains in the North or the South.

Isn't that the point?

Other Chains can be fine. Not fantastic but if you are traveling? It beats fast food with a big stick
I'm starting to think it's all relative. I moved from Rochester, NY to Charleston, SC.

I don't have: Tim Hortons, Boston Market, Bill Grays

I have: Chick Fil-A, Zaxbys, Steak N Shake, Fatz, Hardees, Eggs Up Grill, Kicken Chicken, Wild Wings, Mellow Mushroom, Tastee Freez, Waffle/Huddle House, Firehouse Subs, Jet's Pizza

I'm sure there is more, but LOOK at that list. Even includes regional chains...

Old 08-29-2014, 12:51 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,287,493 times
When I think of Southern chains I think of all those places selling only fried chicken strips such as Zaxby's & Raising Cane's. They must really love chicken fingers there because I can't imagine something like that here on the West Coast although I wish that isn't the case as I adore fried chicken/ tenders!

Old 08-29-2014, 02:12 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,426,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Hipsterism aside, most people eat at fast food restaurants. A lot of people just lie about it because this country's culture believes in shaming people into desired behavior.

Nonetheless, in the South, you have more it seems. Zaxby's, Chick Fil-A, Raising Cane's, Hardee's, Fatz, Dairy Queen, Firehouse Subs

In the North you have Tim Horton's and Boston Market.

In the west, you have In and Out Burger, Tastee Freez, Whattaburger.

I'm not saying that you can't have a few of each in other areas, just where the concentration lies.
Are you saying that Dairy Queen has a southern origin?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,030 times
I'd say the south for chains. I've never seen so many chains until I moved to the south. Being from Chicago where the food is amazing and you have a lot of local options, I never really ate at chains until I moved to the south outside of the occasional fast food visit. In Chicago, there's no need to eat at chains as far as sit-down restaurants go. Too many local mom n' pop and ethnic restaurants to choose from. In Chicago you'd have to go into the burbs to eat at places like Red Lobster or Olive Garden--something that was EXTREMELY rare for me.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I'd say the south for chains. I've never seen so many chains until I moved to the south. Being from Chicago where the food is amazing and you have a lot of local options, I never really ate at chains until I moved to the south outside of the occasional fast food visit. In Chicago, there's no need to eat at chains as far as sit-down restaurants go. Too many local mom n' pop and ethnic restaurants to choose from. In Chicago you'd have to go into the burbs to eat at places like Red Lobster or Olive Garden--something that was EXTREMELY rare for me.
I never got the common phrase burbs are for chains. I grew up on Long Island, the restaurant scene is a mix of cheaper and pricier places but chain restaurants aren't a big part of the scene. I counted maybe four or five Red Lobster and Olive Garden's each for Long Island; New York City has roughly the same (2.5 times the number of people but less area). Maybe six Chili's on Long Island. New York City looks like it has more Applebee's than Long Island.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:55 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I usually try to search for independent places while traveling. Even though there's a risk of getting something subpar it makes traveling more interesting.

I noticed on this thread people are mentioning fast food places together with chain restaurants. Don't have as strong of an opinion of fast food places, but when I eat out at a sit down restaurant I'd rather some a bit more interesting than a chain.
To clarify, when I said I eat at chain restaurants sometimes when traveling, I meant when actually TRAVELING -like in an airport or during the driving part of a road trip. Once I reach my destination, I seek out locally owned places - the last thing I want to do is eat at some place "like" the places in my own home town when I'm on a trip with the intent of experiencing new things.

That being said, I'm not going to pretend that I never eat at a chain restaurant at home. For instance, my husband and I really like Texas Roadhouse. We also love eating breakfast for supper at IHOP. And though I have my favorite locally owned Italian restaurants, I unabashedly admit that I really like the salad and breadsticks at the Olive Garden, as well as several of their entrees, so we eat there a couple of times a year as well.

And when my husband and I have been working in the yard all day, there's just something really satisfying about a BLT, tater tots and a cherry limeade from Sonic. WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

Chain restaurants are successful because lots and lots of people enjoy eating at them. For the life of me, I can't see why some people feel the need to put people down over it. I feel like telling them, "Oh come on - don't tell me you don't ever order a pizza from a chain restaurant, or run through the drive through at (fill in the blank with a chain burger joint)." I call BS on that!

Sorta reminds me of my mother, who will stand in my kitchen reading the ingredients on something, tell me "Sorry, I won't eat that because it's got high fructose corn syrup in it," and then later I catch her drinking a Coke.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 AM

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTfEhChgw

Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Chain restaurants are crappy no matter where you are. However, the effect is MUCH worse in the South, as they are far more prevalent all over the place. Look at Charlotte. Look at Atlanta. The worst I've seen is DFW, which has iHOps all over the damn place. Phoenix is bad too. Basically every sunbelt city suffers from this problem.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 AM

I hate when people post without reading the conversation preceding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or