U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 PM

13,421 posts, read 16,977,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Are there Red Lobsters in the South? I don't know much about quantity of chains in my area simply because I don't really go to chains, especially seafood ones (to be honest they gross me out - I'd much rather head to a beach town and get seafood at a local place on/near the water) but it seems Red Lobster is one of the more prevalent seafood ones where I live. The only one I recognize that others have mentioned so far is Long John Silver's. I've vaguely heard of Arthur Treacher's, it sounds familiar, but I don't think I've ever seen one.
LOL ... Seriously? Red Lobster was started in Florida and is headquartered in Orlando. Until recently, it was owned by the same company that owns Olive Garden, Longhorn Steaks, Bahama Breeze and several other national brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,522,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL ... Seriously? Red Lobster was started in Florida and is headquartered in Orlando. Until recently, it was owned by the same company that owns Olive Garden, Longhorn Steaks, Bahama Breeze and several other national brands.
I don't really go to chains and don't know much about them, let alone where they are based and headquartered - so yes, seriously.

I was only asking because this thread compares northern and southern chains and I didn't recognize 2 of the 3 seafood ones mentioned so far, so I was trying to connect one I DO recognize. I don't think I've ever been to Red Lobster. There are a lot of commercials for it around here, though, and as I said it seems to me to be the most common seafood chain around my general region. It seems, that as this thread goes on, there are more chains that appear in both the north and south but fewer chains that do appear in the north but don't appear in the south. I may get crucified for saying this, but it does seem that chains are both more popular and more common in the south than the northeast, at least maybe major metro regions of the NE. It's not a bad thing but it is interesting. There are a lot of chains you guys are talking about that I don't recognize, yet many "northern" ones (ones we have in the north and ask if they also appear in the south) mentioned so far also appear elsewhere in the country.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,406,012 times
Quote:
I may get crucified for saying this, but it does seem that chains are both more popular and more common in the south than the northeast, at least maybe major metro regions of the NE. It's not a bad thing but it is interesting.
I've been saying this for the entire thread! That was my original point; if you like chains, the selection seems to be better than the south.

I'd like to say that more started in the south, but that's not really true, at least from a short gathering of origin data.

Subway - CT
Boston Market - MA
Dunkin Donuts - MA
Jersey Mike's - NJ
TGI Fridays - NY
Sbarro - NY

Dairy Queen - IL
Tastee Freez - IL
Jimmy John's - IL
Papa John's - IN
Pizza Hut - KS
White Castle - KS
Little Caesars - MI
Dominoes - MI
Hardees - MO
Panera - MO
Wendy's - OH
Arby's - OH
Culver's - WI

Checkers - AL
Burger King - FL
Outback - FL
Chick Fil A - GA
Krystal - GA
Zaxby's - GA
Applebees - GA
Waffle House - GA
Moe's - GA
KFC - KY
Long John Silvers - KY
Popeyes - LA
Raising Cane's - LA
Krispy Kreme - NC
Captain D's - TN
Five Guys - VA

Sonic - OK
Church's - TX
Whataburger - TX

McDonalds - CA
In and Out - CA
Carls Jr - CA
Jack in the Box - CA
IHOP - CA
Denny's - CA
Panda Express - CA
Taco Bell - CA
Fatburger - CA
Johnny Rockets - CA
Chipotle - CO
Quiznos - CO
Qdoba - CO
Starbucks - WA

Tim Horton's - ON
Pita Pit - ON

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 09-11-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 08:09 AM

5,233 posts, read 3,642,696 times
Quote:
Are there Red Lobsters in the South? I don't know much about quantity of chains in my area simply because I don't really go to chains, especially seafood ones (to be honest they gross me out - I'd much rather head to a beach town and get seafood at a local place on/near the water) but it seems Red Lobster is one of the more prevalent seafood ones where I live. The only one I recognize that others have mentioned so far is Long John Silver's. I've vaguely heard of Arthur Treacher's, it sounds familiar, but I don't think I've ever seen one.
You may need to get out more.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:11 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,505,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wow, was that really necessary?

I spent the first 20 years of my life never even seeing a Red Lobster as well. Not all chains are everywhere.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM

56,156 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Hipsterism aside, most people eat at fast food restaurants. A lot of people just lie about it because this country's culture believes in shaming people into desired behavior.

Nonetheless, in the South, you have more it seems. Zaxby's, Chick Fil-A, Raising Cane's, Hardee's, Fatz, Dairy Queen, Firehouse Subs

In the North you have Tim Horton's and Boston Market.

In the west, you have In and Out Burger, Tastee Freez, Whattaburger.

I'm not saying that you can't have a few of each in other areas, just where the concentration lies.
We've had Dairy Queens in NJ since I was a kid in the Sixties, but I've never heard of "Tim Horton's". I think there's a Chick-Fil-A at our mall. I remember seeing a sign.

I live near a highway that has gathered a lot of development over the years. As you drive down, you pass Houlihan's, Olive Garden, Five Guys, Outback, Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Chili's, Chipotle, Ruby Tuesday, etc...and then a few miles later you pass them all again. LOL.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM

56,156 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
LOL, my friend asked me if I wanted to go with her to a Red Lobster (in Ocean Township of all places!). I had never been to one, but she had a coupon so we went. It was OK. But another friend of mine said, "I can't believe you live at the Jersey shore and went to a friggin' RED LOBSTER!"

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM

The other thing to remember is don't assume that your local shrimp shack on the coast is going to really have local seafood. As the number of fisherman get smaller, supplies go to the highest bidder and that shack can't compete with the fancier restaurants looking to pay a premium for local stock for their "EAT LOCAL" meals.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 AM

56,682 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I've been saying this for the entire thread! That was my original point; if you like chains, the selection seems to be better than the south.

I'd like to say that more started in the south, but that's not really true, at least from a short gathering of origin data.

Subway - CT
Boston Market - MA
Dunkin Donuts - MA
Jersey Mike's - NJ
TGI Fridays - NY
Sbarro - NY

Dairy Queen - IL
Tastee Freez - IL
Jimmy John's - IL
Papa John's - IN
Pizza Hut - KS
White Castle - KS
Little Caesars - MI
Dominoes - MI
Hardees - MO
Panera - MO
Wendy's - OH
Arby's - OH
Culver's - WI

Checkers - AL
Burger King - FL
Outback - FL
Chick Fil A - GA
Krystal - GA
Zaxby's - GA
Applebees - GA
Waffle House - GA
Moe's - GA
KFC - KY
Long John Silvers - KY
Popeyes - LA
Raising Cane's - LA
Krispy Kreme - NC
Captain D's - TN
Five Guys - VA

Sonic - OK
Church's - TX
Whataburger - TX

McDonalds - CA
In and Out - CA
Carls Jr - CA
Jack in the Box - CA
IHOP - CA
Denny's - CA
Panda Express - CA
Taco Bell - CA
Fatburger - CA
Johnny Rockets - CA
Chipotle - CO
Quiznos - CO
Qdoba - CO
Starbucks - WA

Tim Horton's - ON
Pita Pit - ON
A&W - CA

Rally's - KY

Bojangle's - NC

Hungry Howie's - MI

Buffalo Wild Wings - OH

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-11-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 09:22 AM

I'm sure there's a ton more, if someone wants to contribute, we can make a grand list. A better one would be which chain dominates each state, minus the national ones (McD's, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, Starbucks, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or