U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 04:41 PM

15,541 posts, read 17,773,692 times

Advertisements

In culinary jargon, 'seafood' is distinguished from freshwater fish and other aquatic foods. It is bound to a culinary definition, not a geographical one.

In terms of geographic vocabulary, a large, inland freshwater body such as the Great Lakes, can legitimately be called a sea. The distinction between seas and lakes in English a relatively recent one. Even today in most Germanic languages the word 'See' or 'Zee' are used to refer to what English speakers would call lakes, and many large lakes are still referred to in English as 'Seas'.

Had the middle of North America been explored by the English even one hundred years earlier when 'Sea' was still in vogue for inland seas, the Great Lakes may well have been called Superior Sea, Michigan Sea, Erie Sea, Huron, Sea, and Ontario Sea.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:59 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,408,518 times
Although I think the argument is extremely hilarious, no one really hears "seafood" and clamors for the depths of our dirty Great Lakes. I'm sure there are some great catches, but come on, let's not be blind here.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Although I think the argument is extremely hilarious, no one really hears "seafood" and clamors for the depths of our dirty Great Lakes. I'm sure there are some great catches, but come on, let's not be blind here.
You continually add depth to your ignorance profile - nice work

Absolutely true about seas, as again - there are definitions for which the Great Lakes would qualify, and it's largely semantics (as disussed above) that resulted in them being named "lakes" and not "seas."

Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You continually add depth to your ignorance profile - nice work
You really should read up on pollution in the Great Lakes...

Anywho, anyone have a favorite chain?

I think one chain that I've been to in which every single thing on the table was fantastic was McCormick & Schmicks, although I've been to the McCormick & Kuleto's version in SanFran. Peter Fleming's Steakhouse was pretty good, too.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
You really should read up on pollution in the Great Lakes...
Well, since I live in a state that borders 2 of them, I am quite well-read and more importantly, have the hands-on life-long experience with them that you lack.

Lake Superior is much cleaner than the Black Sea or Caspian Sea or Mediterranean, all of which are saltwater or brackish and qualify as seafood under your own personal definition. But you knew that already because you're so well-read, correct?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Well, since I live in a state that borders 2 of them, I am quite well-read and more importantly, have the hands-on life-long experience with them that you lack.

Lake Superior is much cleaner than the Black Sea or Caspian Sea or Mediterranean, all of which are saltwater or brackish and qualify as seafood under your own personal definition. But you knew that already because you're so well-read, correct?
Re-read up. Not sure where you were getting information, but there is a wealth out there. I agree with Lake Superior. This I am aware of. But as someone that has fished Lake Ontario. Blech! Also, 30 years in Rochester, NY. Glad to be outta there.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Re-read up. Not sure where you were getting information, but there is a wealth out there. I agree with Lake Superior. This I am aware of. But as someone that has fished Lake Ontario. Blech! Also, 30 years in Rochester, NY. Glad to be outta there.
Yes, I am quite aware of your anti-Great Lakes bias, so thanks for the history lesson explaining it

You said "the Great Lakes," not "Lake Ontario." I grew up on the northern end of Lake Michigan and spend a lot of time around Lake Superior. The fishing there and in the tens of thousands of cool inland lakes in the region is spectacular. Minnesota (to bring this back around) is on Lake SUPERIOR. It also has a good 10-15,000 inland lakes where people catch and eat their own year-round.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am quite aware of your anti-Great Lakes bias, so thanks for the history lesson explaining it

You said "the Great Lakes," not "Lake Ontario." I grew up on the northern end of Lake Michigan and spend a lot of time around Lake Superior. The fishing there and in the tens of thousands of cool inland lakes in the region is spectacular. Minnesota (to bring this back around) is on Lake SUPERIOR. It also has a good 10-15,000 inland lakes where people catch and eat their own year-round.
Allow me to supply your next 100 bitter posts...

Which do you prefer? "Seafood" from the Great Lakes? Or seafood from the oceans?

Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM

56,755 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:

This goes way back....

Anyway, many people actually fish in Lake Ontario as well and the fishing experience is similar from what I've heard. Many fish in the salmon River about 35 north of me and it flows into Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario Fishing Charters: Fishing for Salmon, Trout and Bass with Fantasy Charters

Salmon River - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 09-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Anyone else have any favorite chains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or