U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:39 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Never seen it. Generally chains like McDonalds sell crap versions of regional food back to the region, they don't try to export it to other regions unless it's a national product. Hence "brats" at McDs here, and likely not in CA or MS or NY. "Southern-style" biscuits sold in the south but not in the north, etc. There are exceptions, but this is generally the case.
Southern chicken sandwiches were sold in NY at least, even in Canada as well. I would imagine it's different for the biscuit though, as people around here seem to go nutzoid for biscuits and biscuit sandwiches. I remember tossing out biscuits from family meals or never giving them a second look on the breakfast menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,692,527 times
McDonald's offers a green chile cheeseburger here in New Mexico, where we are somewhat infatuated with green chile and kind of obsess over green chile cheeseburgers. Their version is pretty good. Is it the best? No, but it is pretty good in its own right.

There was a mild uproar recently during our State Fair here in Albuquerque where an umpteenth green chile cheeseburger contest was held. Fuddrucker's actually won with its version of a green chile cheeseburger. All the locavore and anti-chain snobs were all in a tizzy that a national chain could possibly have the best green chile cheeseburger in New Mexico.

But the area manager for Fuddrucker's pointed out that they use only authentic New Mexico green chile in their version of the concoction and that everybody involved in making it is from New Mexico.

We even put green chile on pizza here and I think Papa John's has the absolute best version of that. Their pepperoni pizza with green chile is heaven on earth. Even better than the versions at the smaller, local pizza chains and single restaurants in town.

I shudder to think what would ever happen if we had a best green chile pizza contest and Papa John's ever won. Those snobs would absolutely flip their wigs.

As to the McDonald's Southern-style chicken sandwich, I remember a couple of years back receiving a coupon in the mail to try it out for free. I tried it and liked it well enough, but I've stuck to the spicy chicken sandwich, which is my favorite offering at McDonald's.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
McDonald's offers a green chile cheeseburger here in New Mexico, where we are somewhat infatuated with green chile and kind of obsess over green chile cheeseburgers. Their version is pretty good. Is it the best? No, but it is pretty good in its own right.

There was a mild uproar recently during our State Fair here in Albuquerque where an umpteenth green chile cheeseburger contest was held. Fuddrucker's actually won with its version of a green chile cheeseburger. All the locavore and anti-chain snobs were all in a tizzy that a national chain could possibly have the best green chile cheeseburger in New Mexico.

But the area manager for Fuddrucker's pointed out that they use only authentic New Mexico green chile in their version of the concoction and that everybody involved in making it is from New Mexico.

We even put green chile on pizza here and I think Papa John's has the absolute best version of that. Their pepperoni pizza with green chile is heaven on earth. Even better than the versions at the smaller, local pizza chains and single restaurants in town.

I shudder to think what would ever happen if we had a best green chile pizza contest and Papa John's ever won. Those snobs would absolutely flip their wigs.

As to the McDonald's Southern-style chicken sandwich, I remember a couple of years back receiving a coupon in the mail to try it out for free. I tried it and liked it well enough, but I've stuck to the spicy chicken sandwich, which is my favorite offering at McDonald's.
Great post. I'm jealous that you have the spicy chicken sandwich at McDonalds. We only had a trial run with that one in NY and there is a trial run in SC for the Jalapeno McDouble. It's fascinating all of the testing and studies they run on their food.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM

32,386 posts, read 59,868,870 times
Quote:
McDonald's offers a green chile cheeseburger here in New Mexico, where we are somewhat infatuated with green chile and kind of obsess over green chile cheeseburgers.
Oh, yum. It's worth going to Albuquerque just for a green chile cheeseburger.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,968,971 times
Quote:

Did Blakes , The Owl , The Buckhorn enter the contest? Just wondered , those are my favorites in NM.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:26 PM

1,296 posts, read 832,671 times
I don't care if Carrabbas is a chain, if there's one in town I'm headed that way.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Did Blakes , The Owl , The Buckhorn enter the contest? Just wondered , those are my favorites in NM.
I think the Frontier's is underrated. Not the best, perhaps, but certainly should be part of the conversation. I like Owl and Buckhorn better, but I like the Frontier's offering better than Blakes.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 AM

Wow, I've never heard of any of those!

Old 09-26-2014, 04:46 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,968,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Wow, I've never heard of any of those!
They are in New Mexico. However, Blakes is testing the waters in Texas. The Owl location in Socorro is my my favorite as I have many fond memories of that place. Some jerk broke in a while back and stole all the signed dollar bills on the walls. It was fun to read them. The Buckhorn is across the the highway US380 , I didn't think of the Frontier . :-)

Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
They are in New Mexico. However, Blakes is testing the waters in Texas. The Owl location in Socorro is my my favorite as I have many fond memories of that place. Some jerk broke in a while back and stole all the signed dollar bills on the walls. It was fun to read them. The Buckhorn is across the the highway US380 , I didn't think of the Frontier . :-)
I need to get out there. I've only been to San Fran on the west coast, but need to experience the SW definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or