Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,804,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I TOTALLY don't get the Whataburger love! I'm a DQ girl myself if I want a fast food burger, which is pretty rare.
Well, Kathyrn, we normally agree but I will give you that one. I really never cared for DQ except their soft ice cream and Blizzards. Anything with their soft ice cream. I would suspect there are more DQs than WBs in Texas though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,292,669 times
This thread makes me hungry on a daily basis.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:20 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,825,181 times
The South did give us Chick-fil and fancy restaurants like Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill, both which are delicious. Didn't TGI Friday start in Orlando? You also have Outback which started in Tampa and then the good old southern food at Cracker Barrel,, which originated in Tennessee. There's Waffle House (Georgia) and Dunkin' Donuts from North Carolina! There's an awesome restaurant in Pigeon Forge, TN called the Apple Barn and they have great food. We also gave birth to Church's Chicken, Popeye and KFC.

The south also gave us Morrison's Cafeteria which was bought out by Picadilly about 10 or so years ago. They have also great food. Unfortunately, all the Picadillys seem to be shutting down.

I think us Southerners have the best foods. We know how to cook and eat. Northern food is kind of plain, no offense to y'all.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
The South did give us Chick-fil and fancy restaurants like Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill, both which are delicious. Didn't TGI Friday start in Orlando? You also have Outback which started in Tampa and then the good old southern food at Cracker Barrel,, which originated in Tennessee. There's Waffle House (Georgia) and Dunkin' Donuts from North Carolina! There's an awesome restaurant in Pigeon Forge, TN called the Apple Barn and they have great food.

The south also gave us Morrison's Cafeteria which was bought out by Picadilly about 10 or so years ago. They have also great food. Unfortunately, all the Picadillys seem to be shutting down.

I think us Southerners have the best foods. We know how to cook and eat. Northern food is kind of plain, no offense to y'all.
I agree with this post and I definitely miss Morrisons. So glad you mentioned it...the memories!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,888,856 times
Quote:
The South did give us Chick-fil and fancy restaurants like Olive Garden and Macaroni Grill, both which are delicious. Didn't TGI Friday start in Orlando? You also have Outback which started in Tampa and then the good old southern food at Cracker Barrel,, which originated in Tennessee. There's Waffle House (Georgia) and Dunkin' Donuts from North Carolina! There's an awesome restaurant in Pigeon Forge, TN called the Apple Barn and they have great food. We also gave birth to Church's Chicken, Popeye and KFC.

You think Olive Garden is good, then claim the south has the best food while northern food is "plain." What exactly about northern food is plain? What do you have in mind? From Italian food in the NYC metro to seafood in coastal New England, not sure how we're labeled as plain. Is it because all those chains you mentioned (minus DD) didn't start in the north? I'm not much for chains, they don't impress me.

Sorry, can't take that comment seriously.

Also, Dunkin Donuts is a MA chain, unless I misunderstood you made it sound like it comes from NC. The original Dunkin in Quincy, MA is very cool looking.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Dunkin' location map

Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 AM

15,964 posts, read 20,923,733 times
I've never considered Italian dishes to be northern, they're just Italian and not really tied to any one region. I don't think a lot of people in the south or midwest would consider it to be 'northern'.
I think it's harder to put a label on what food qualifies as northern cooking, whereas it's easier to recognize many southern types of dishes.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,888,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I've never considered Italian dishes to be northern, they're just Italian and not really tied to any one region. I don't think a lot of people in the south or midwest would consider it to be 'northern'.
I think it's harder to put a label on what food qualifies as northern cooking, whereas it's easier to recognize many southern types of dishes.
Why not? The NYC area has by far the most Italians and the best Italian food overall, consistently.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:19 AM

15,964 posts, read 20,923,733 times
I guess because good Italian has never been the type of food you have to go to the north to find. You can find it in a lot of places, all over the country for the most part. Unlike good sweet tea or shrimp and grits, or clam chowder, or barbeque, other things that have more of a regional association.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:23 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,013 times
Quote:

I really hope you're joking. Not making The South look good.

Also, Dunkin isn't from NC. Krispy Kreme is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.