Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Sure, but most places in areas few Italian-Americans aren't as authentic.
How so? My Italian-American grandmother's cooking in western Pennsylvania is just as "authentic" as any other Italian-American's cooking. When her brothers and their families moved from Pennsylvania to Michigan and Missouri, did that move make them any less "authentic"?

Again, you're confusing quality with quantity. Yes, in areas where there are fewer Italian-Americans, it's harder to find Italian restaurants, and since not all restaurants are good, it is also harder to find good Italian restaurants.

But just being located in one region in the United States does not make that restaurant better than a similar restaurant in another region.

Quote:
And if the quantity is fewer there's probably fewer good places.
Using this logic, then, the Northeast would have more bad Italian restaurants than any other region as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 09:57 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Chick is better IMHO. We also love the lemonade at Chick.

I will give you that Italian is probably more consistent in the NorthEast, but there are some great local places here as well we enjoy.

On another note, we normally don't eat Mexican outside of NM and TX. Therefore, , we did go to a local place in Marble Falls, TX that was absolutely horrible. I didn't know there were places in TX that could be that bad!.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's one around the corner from me (of course there is; I live in the 'burbs, after all ); maybe we should both try it and report back. Remember, they're not open Sundays.
The suburb I grew up in, Long Island, has zero Chic Fil A. There was, however, an Italian grocery store not far from my parent's house. New York City has one, inside an NYU dining hall, only one in NY State. Philly suburbs look like they lots.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
How so? My Italian-American grandmother's cooking in western Pennsylvania is just as "authentic" as any other Italian-American's cooking. When her brothers and their families moved from Pennsylvania to Michigan and Missouri, did that move make them any less "authentic"?

Again, you're confusing quality with quantity. Yes, in areas where there are fewer Italian-Americans, it's harder to find Italian restaurants, and since not all restaurants are good, it is also harder to find good Italian restaurants.
No. But not all Italian places in other parts of the country are opened by Italian-Americans, or at least with those that kept their traditions. Plenty I've seen are just by locals that want to offer Italian food, sometimes they can make it work, more often not.

Quote:
Using this logic, then, the Northeast would have more bad Italian restaurants than any other region as well.
Might be true, though I think on average an Italian place is more likely to be decent in the Northeast.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:02 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
The scale of bad vs good changes a bit when you come to the northeast. What we consider to be bad may be considered good elsewhere or acceptable. We have different standards and the food shows! The article I pointed to actually did have a few from the western side of the US. I acknowledge that there are good Italian places elsewhere, but I also say that you have a much much greater chance of running into top notch Italian in the northeast vs anywhere else in the USA.

There's likely to be a few bad ones... we can exclude the "Italian" from Olive Garden of course and other junk chains. You won't hear too many people suggesting going to these places lol

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:

But just being located in one region in the United States does not make that restaurant better than a similar restaurant in another region.

So then this goes for all types of food? Southern style foods, Mexican, Asian foods, German food, whatever else you can think of?

That is hypocritical since you just said to me earlier that I need to educate myself because there are regional differences in BBQ.

Not sure why some are having a hard time admitting that the NE does Italian better as a whole, because we have the most Italians and it is literally part of our culture and has been since the 1880s when these people started coming in large numbers to this area and changed the NE for at least the next century and a half.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
We have different standards and the food shows!
Yeah, that New York style pizza sucks; that's for sure.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
If you do your research, it doesn't really matter where you are, as long as you're in a big enough city. Your probability is greater in the Northeast but if you spend time looking, you can find some pretty damn good I-ti in any city.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
How many times have you actually had New York style pizza in NYC (or its suburbs)?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:05 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
I'm sure that's why many restaurants elsewhere try to replicate it!

Selling "New York style pizza" in Florida or Texas or California or Canada or *gasp* Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.