Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,791,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Wow, was that really necessary?

I spent the first 20 years of my life never even seeing a Red Lobster as well. Not all chains are everywhere.
Is what really necessary? I thought her question was funny, since Red Lobster isn't just located ALL OVER the South, but is in fact a Southern restaurant from the very beginning.

I do sometimes wonder, like someone else implied, if some people on this thread travel much. If you did, you'd at least recognize the names of most of these brands even if don't eat at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,293,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Is what really necessary? I thought her question was funny, since Red Lobster isn't just located ALL OVER the South, but is in fact a Southern restaurant from the very beginning.

I do sometimes wonder, like someone else implied, if some people on this thread travel much. If you did, you'd at least recognize the names of most of these brands even if don't eat at them.
Well, to be fair, I know and maybe travel enough but when I was a bit younger, I didn't know the difference between Sonic Drive In and Sonic Car Washes in Western NY. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Fish out of a freshwater lake is NOT "seafood." It's fish. Seafood is fish PLUS shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, clams, oysters, etc. Huge difference. Anybody who's been to the Coastal South knows what "real" seafood is. Nobody in the country does it better.
First of all, definitions include both fresh and saltwater (this is from WEBSTER), as I already posted and you already skipped over:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There are many meanings of the word, and the one I'm familiar with includes freshwater; Webster seems to agree: "Edible aquatic animals excluding mammals, but including both freshwater and ocean creatures." Seafood - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Second, you just proved every point I brought up. Maine lobster, Bay Area crab, NOLA crawfish, and so on - I've travelled extensively and agree that the best fish is local fish. But even after happily sampling local specialties all over the country and walking away impressed, the best fish I've ever eatern is still walleye caught in cool waters and cooked right away over an open fire. Perch fry, trout from streams that only run in the spring in the Driftless, there are many great northern lake and river seafood that you, Newsboy, have no experience with and no knowledge, yet you still proclaim your local foods superior. I think the person who hasn't travelled around is in actuality you - why else would you accuse everyone else of it, and jump on someone who didn't know Red Lobster was a southern chain when it's absolutely ubiquitous in many regions, like my own. If you'd been around the country, you would know that. You also would have tried great local fish in the Midwest and other regions that you are currently absolutely ignorant of.

When it comes to fast food fish, well, to me it's the worst kind of fast food, partially due to the above. Seafood needs to be fresh more than any other kind of protein, and fast food needs to be convenient and low margin. I've never had chain fish that comes anywhere near what I catch myself or any local shop with local product across the country can whip up. Red Lobster biscuits are tasty chain products, but it's hard to go wrong when you bathe something in that much cheese, butter and garlic.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:43 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,065,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So Ruth Chris, Morton's, Cheesecake Factory, TGIFridays, Applebee's, and Chili's are garbage? I do see the just of your point though.
To answer your question - no, no, yes, yes, yes, yes.
IMO only extremely high end chains are even remotely good.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
First of all, definitions include both fresh and saltwater (this is from WEBSTER), as I already posted and you already skipped over:

Second, you just proved every point I brought up. Maine lobster, Bay Area crab, NOLA crawfish, and so on - I've travelled extensively and agree that the best fish is local fish. But even after happily sampling local specialties all over the country and walking away impressed, the best fish I've ever eatern is still walleye caught in cool waters and cooked right away over an open fire. Perch fry, trout from streams that only run in the spring in the Driftless, there are many great northern lake and river seafood that you, Newsboy, have no experience with and no knowledge, yet you still proclaim your local foods superior. I think the person who hasn't travelled around is in actuality you - why else would you accuse everyone else of it, and jump on someone who didn't know Red Lobster was a southern chain when it's absolutely ubiquitous in many regions, like my own. If you'd been around the country, you would know that. You also would have tried great local fish in the Midwest and other regions that you are currently absolutely ignorant of.

When it comes to fast food fish, well, to me it's the worst kind of fast food, partially due to the above. Seafood needs to be fresh more than any other kind of protein, and fast food needs to be convenient and low margin. I've never had chain fish that comes anywhere near what I catch myself or any local shop with local product across the country can whip up. Red Lobster biscuits are tasty chain products, but it's hard to go wrong when you bathe something in that much cheese, butter and garlic.
Many people claim that their own food is the best. You accuse them of it, yet you just did it in your own post. Take a chill pill.

And yet again, we go down the pathway of chain vs. non-chain types of foods. I think everyone in the thread already knows the difference. I'm glad you were able to at least compliment Red Lobster's biscuits!

Can you share with us anything else you have liked at a chain restaurant in terms of seafood?

I think I must have had 3 plates full of popcorn shrimp from Golden Corral, the last time I went. Disgusting, frozen, processed, sure, but oh so delicious!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,890,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You may need to get out more.
*sigh*

Because I don't care for chain restaurants, so I don't care for where they are or aren't?

The fact that I go to local family owned places or simply places that are not chains wherever I go proves that I DO get out more, I think.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:51 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,805,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Many people claim that their own food is the best. You accuse them of it, yet you just did it in your own post. Take a chill pill.

And yet again, we go down the pathway of chain vs. non-chain types of foods. I think everyone in the thread already knows the difference. I'm glad you were able to at least compliment Red Lobster's biscuits!

Can you share with us anything else you have liked at a chain restaurant in terms of seafood?

I think I must have had 3 plates full of popcorn shrimp from Golden Corral, the last time I went. Disgusting, frozen, processed, sure, but oh so delicious!
I do like the cheese biscuits! However, we call Golden Coral "Golden Trough"

Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I do like the cheese biscuits! However, we call Golden Coral "Golden Trough"
Yeah, you'll get the same time of people at each one, but they blatantly offer military discounts and that's cool. Better than Old Country Buffet, though. That place is just sticky.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:55 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,190,140 times
Quote:
Yeah, you'll get the same time of people at each one, but they blatantly offer military discounts and that's cool. Better than Old Country Buffet, though. That place is just sticky.
They also offer a free meal on Veterans day to any veteran.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,791,771 times
Quote:
We have a chain here in South Georgia / North Florida called Ole Times Country Buffet that's probably the best all-you-can-eat (ie "trough") buffet restaurant I've ever eaten at. Their food is truly EXCELLENT "home cooking." They actually cook their veggies fresh -- nothing is frozen. They even scrape the corn themselves to make creamed corn. The fried okra and country steak is some of the best I've ever had, anywhere. And it's amazingly cheap. It's practically put Golden Corral out of biz in Savannah.

Ole Times Country Buffet Savannah, Ga Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.