U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,048,076 times
Reputation: 2543

Advertisements

Instead of going back and forth between Florida and Texas, I wish I had just spent the extra money and moved to California in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 AM
 
320 posts, read 673,364 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Instead of going back and forth between Florida and Texas, I wish I had just spent the extra money and moved to California in the first place.
Why would you prefer California over Florida ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,048,076 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Why would you prefer California over Florida ?
LOL, I take it you've never been California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 AM
 
320 posts, read 673,364 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
LOL, I take it you've never been California.
Yes i'v been in California, don't get me wrong I love it but I found it too expensive, Florida is cleaner, greener and cheaper and I like the humidity.

Last edited by djmanu; 09-16-2014 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Reputation: 11136
This thread is ridiculous.
...and, yes, I have lived in both Texas and Florida. For that matter, I grew up in California (since it has now found its way into the conversation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 03:18 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,048,076 times
Reputation: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
Yes i'v been in California, don't get me wrong I love it but I found it too expensive, Florida is cleaner, greener and cheaper and I like the humidity.
Florida is cheaper than California--and much cheaper at that--for many reasons, up to and including a much smaller, less robust, less diversified economy; much lower salaries; less safe working conditions, especially for healthcare, manufacturing, and trade workers; lower union participation rates due to RTW laws and a smaller union presence, which usually translates to lower wages and fewer rights/protections of low-paid service, manufacturing, et al. workers; and so forth. That's not even taking into consideration the higher crime, less desirable weather and scenery, more dangerous drivers, etc.

Compared to the economy of California, which is the largest of any state in the US and seventh or eighth largest in the world, the economy of Florida truly leaves much to be desired. There are far fewer Fortune 1000 companies HQ'ed or with a major presence in Florida as well as fewer corporate offices, office parks, manufacturing plants, container ports, etc.

California is also home more and better prestigious institutions of higher education, which help produce a more talented, educated, capable workforce and, in turn, foster a more competitive ethos and intellectual/professional vibe in general. California is truly the most innovative and technologically-advanced state in the nation with the Silicon Valley along with the Greater Bay Area leading the way.

In addition to being far more innovative than Florida, California is much more progressive as well. California was the first state to establish minimum nurse-to-patient ratios; the first state to launch its own open health insurance exchange marketplace; and, just recently, the first state to mandate employers to provide employees with at least five paid sick days per year. In the sphere of public health, Florida is known for it's "pill-mills" (commonly referred to as "pain management clinics"), it's high rate of prescription drug/painkiller abuse, and the refusal of hospital visitation rights for gay and lesbian partners (Jackson Memorial, Miami, 2008). Something to brag about, huh?

Quite frankly, Florida isn't in the same league as other populous states such as California, Texas, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, et al. when it comes to economy and education. It's really more comparable to Arizona or Tennessee, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2014, 08:47 PM
 
9,012 posts, read 8,312,171 times
Reputation: 14429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Florida is cheaper than California--and much cheaper at that--for many reasons, up to and including a much smaller, less robust, less diversified economy; much lower salaries; less safe working conditions, especially for healthcare, manufacturing, and trade workers; lower union participation rates due to RTW laws and a smaller union presence, which usually translates to lower wages and fewer rights/protections of low-paid service, manufacturing, et al. workers; and so forth. That's not even taking into consideration the higher crime, less desirable weather and scenery, more dangerous drivers, etc.

Compared to the economy of California, which is the largest of any state in the US and seventh or eighth largest in the world, the economy of Florida truly leaves much to be desired. There are far fewer Fortune 1000 companies HQ'ed or with a major presence in Florida as well as fewer corporate offices, office parks, manufacturing plants, container ports, etc.

California is also home more and better prestigious institutions of higher education, which help produce a more talented, educated, capable workforce and, in turn, foster a more competitive ethos and intellectual/professional vibe in general. California is truly the most innovative and technologically-advanced state in the nation with the Silicon Valley along with the Greater Bay Area leading the way.

In addition to being far more innovative than Florida, California is much more progressive as well. California was the first state to establish minimum nurse-to-patient ratios; the first state to launch its own open health insurance exchange marketplace; and, just recently, the first state to mandate employers to provide employees with at least five paid sick days per year. In the sphere of public health, Florida is known for it's "pill-mills" (commonly referred to as "pain management clinics"), it's high rate of prescription drug/painkiller abuse, and the refusal of hospital visitation rights for gay and lesbian partners (Jackson Memorial, Miami, 2008). Something to brag about, huh?

Quite frankly, Florida isn't in the same league as other populous states such as California, Texas, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, et al. when it comes to economy and education. It's really more comparable to Arizona or Tennessee, IMO.
This is exactly why I have friends in California who say forget about Florida.....
Everything you posted- has been said to me, that's something to ponder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Reputation: 7709
Take it from someone from Florida, who moved to Texas in December 2014...

I pick Texas. I like the weather more. The areas I've lived in (west and north) have offered 4 seasons, with mild but existant winters, beautiful springs, hot and scorching summers and a late but still very pretty autumn display. Florida is miserably hot and humid, I'd rather a North Dakota winter than a Florida year.

Texas has lots of transplants, but unlike Florida, they haven't oversaturated the state, nor do native Texans take kindly to people trying to change their local culture.

Texas has more diversity in culture, food and geography. Desert, swamp, plains, forests, it has a lot to offer. Mexican food, Czech food, southern food, and so on. Florida has good seafood, southern food and Cuban food, but I still prefer what Texas brings, especially steaks.

Texans are friendly, though many are a bit arrogant, they're more pleasant than most people in Florida.

Florida is just too cookie-cutter now and full of rude people and aggressively awful drivers. I love the beach, the ocean and so on, but the state leaves much to be desired. If it was more like a Jimmy Buffett song, I'd like it more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 PM
 
699 posts, read 439,523 times
Reputation: 243
While it's fun to compare Texas to Florida, they attract completely different people and demographics. It's better to compare Texas to North Carolina and Florida to Arizona.

I will say if you can secure a nice living, Florida has more interesting cities (Tampa, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Miami, Key West, etc are so different to me), better climate, nicer scenery. Texas has a better economy, better ratio of COL to economy for sure, more large cities (Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2016, 01:13 PM
 
699 posts, read 439,523 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Czech food
Lol, 'Kolache's' don't count
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top