Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times

Advertisements

Connecticut HAS to be the unfriendliest state in the entire country--I grew up in neighboring Rhode Island.

People there are so incredibly cold and aloof that it borders on frightening--and talk about rude!

The only towns in Connecticut in which I've had generally friendly encounters with locals are Putnam and Cornwall--small towns on the outskirts of the state--and that's it, really.

After growing up in RI and living in states like CA and TX with lots of state/local pride and strong state/local cultures, it's immediately noticeable that state pride is virtually non-existent in CT. Aside from maybe New Haven, there's not much local culture in CT, either--certainly no unifying state culture at large.

To say CT suffers from an identity crisis is an understatement--it's not really New England, but it's not Mid-Atlantic, either. Most of it wouldn't exist without NYC, anyway.

Overall, CT is just a very bland state with divided loyalties (NYC and Boston/New England), lots of snooty ex-New Yorkers who couldn't afford LI or NJ, generally bad roads, very corrupt politics, bone-chilling weather from Oct - May, a rapidly aging population, and an economy/economic policies that cannot and will not sustain the astronomical COL. Talk about bright future. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Connecticut HAS to be the unfriendliest state in the entire country--I grew up in neighboring Rhode Island.

People there are so incredibly cold and aloof that it borders on frightening--and talk about rude!

The only towns in Connecticut in which I've had generally friendly encounters with locals are Putnam and Cornwall--small towns on the outskirts of the state--and that's it, really.

After growing up in RI and living in states like CA and TX with lots of state/local pride and strong state/local cultures, it's immediately noticeable that state pride is virtually non-existent in CT. Aside from maybe New Haven, there's not much local culture in CT, either--certainly no unifying state culture at large.

To say CT suffers from an identity crisis is an understatement--it's not really New England, but it's not Mid-Atlantic, either. Most of it wouldn't exist without NYC, anyway.

Overall, CT is just a very bland state with divided loyalties (NYC and Boston/New England), lots of snooty ex-New Yorkers who couldn't afford LI or NJ, generally bad roads, very corrupt politics, bone-chilling weather from Oct - May, a rapidly aging population, and an economy/economic policies that cannot and will not sustain the astronomical COL. Talk about bright future. Please.
It is not a very bland state at all. It has interesting topography, forests, and coast line. And numerous town centers loaded with charm and positive energy. The people aren't nearly as bad as you make it out to be. Certainly not as bad as people in metro Boston, that's for sure. In Fairfield County, yes....the people suck.

The only area that suffers from identity crisis is southwestern CT. The rest of the state is totally quintessential New England. The housing style can attest to this. And the old, historic vibe as well. Things are compact and the roads are very curvy and hilly. There are almost no divided U.S. highways, which is another hallmark of New England.

Virtually all of the interstate and state highways have been repaved over the past 2 years and are in excellent shape now. It's just the local roads that are in bad shape.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You must have missed out on the last three winters:>)
Ice storms happened in Texas during the abnormally cold winter this past 2014, but they did not happen the previous two winters before , the years of 2012, and 2013. Therefore, they did not happen "last three winters."

Ice storms are a rare event in the entire Southern half of Texas, and AT MOST, they are events that occur a couple times a generation only. They are by no means "common" in any sense of the word meaning.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Ice storms happened in Texas during the abnormally cold winter this past 2014, but they did not happen the previous two winters before , the years of 2012, and 2013. Therefore, they did not happen "last three winters."

Ice storms are a rare event in the entire Southern half of Texas, and AT MOST, they are events that occur a couple times a generation only. They are by no means "common" in any sense of the word meaning.
Christmas 2012 we had a white Christmas in northeast Texas.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Texas is overall better because of affordable housing and good job prospects, but naturally I think FL is prettier. . . . pretty however doesn't pay the bills.
Yeah it's prettier as long as you're right on the coast, but once you're inland I'm not seeing how Florida offers much that Texas doesn't. If flat and verdant subtropical suburbia is your cup of tea, Houston's got it!

On second thought I will admit that there are some places in inland Florida that are generally better planned and more attractive than your typical Texan city. Orlando comes to mind.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 08-29-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
^^^ But Orlando has some bad areas doesn't it?

Also Orlando is filled w/ tourists-- no thanks.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
^^^ But Orlando has some bad areas doesn't it?
Yes but so does every Texas city.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM

605 posts, read 669,143 times
If I was starting over career wise I would most definitely go with Texas over Florida, especially considering how much job growth is taking place in oil/gas not to mention a sizable IT/technology field in places such as DFW, Austin, and San Antonio. Florida by comparison does not have much going for it outside of low paying service jobs.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:06 AM

287 posts, read 549,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Christmas 2012 we had a white Christmas in northeast Texas.
I remember that. We got 3 inches here in Texarkana.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softasapuppyfart View Post
You just need to open your eye's and your mind, plus you may need to make it to a higher tax bracket to see the good things CT has to offer. TX is always trying to convince everyone their friendly and then when the economy goes in the toilet Texans tell you move on, yall ant from here. FL is for old people and vagrants and the people that rebuild the state every time a hurricane blows through.
I'm not from Texas but I moved here in the 1990s. When the bottom dropped out of the economy in 2008, no one told me, "Y'all ain't from Texas, move on."

Once you move to Texas, I swear, you can live here about six months, love the state, respect it's values, and bingo - YOU'RE A TEXAN. That's one of the many things I love about Texas - how welcoming and generous hearted the people are.

The thing about Texans you have to understand is this - They're very friendly and helpful...as long as you're doing the best you can and are polite yourself. They have very little patience for slackers, lazy whiners, etc. They'll get right down in that ditch with you, in their Sunday clothes, to push your car out...but you better be down there pushing with them, or have a darn good excuse not to be.

Very low tolerance level for anyone's sense of entitlement or self importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.