Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times

Advertisements

TX is WAY better. FL is just full of old geezers waiting to die.

Not to mention everything weird on the news happens in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:39 AM

88 posts, read 107,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

Actually the population of "old Geezers" as you call them are rapidly declining in Florida since it is becoming expensive to live here. As for your weirdness look at Texas politicians.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 PM

734 posts, read 920,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post

I wish more people believed this crap so they'd stay out of FL.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:48 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Those are two very large states with some very different cities and areas.

The question invites misinterpretation and unfair stereotyping of both states.

Why don't you narrow it down a bit? As in Gainville FL or Austin TX? Or Tampa/St Pete or Dallas/Ft. Worth?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Texas has a much better job market. And cost of living in both states is quite cheap. Outside of the expensive waterfront areas Florida is very affordable. Orlando has one of the cheapest housing markets in the nation.

You WILL meet backwards Southern types in Texas (in the major metros too, not just the small town areas), where as in Florida those kinds are a rarity.

Florida has way sexier people. Texas is a fat person's state, and they won't deny it. Everything IS bigger in Texas! lol.

Florida has more natural beauty, especially the Southern parts of the state, but even the central part of the state with the abundance of small hills and lakes is pretty as well. Texas has mountains in the west part of the state though.

I vote Texas, strictly on the job market issue. One of the things that pushed me out of Florida was the states terrible economy, especially for young college graduates. My heart aches for my family everyday but I was seriously looking at a life of squalor if I stayed there. And I would be a bum on the street before I ever served another snow bird a plate of food again. lol.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,280,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Texas has a much better job market. And cost of living in both states is quite cheap. Outside of the expensive waterfront areas Florida is very affordable. Orlando has one of the cheapest housing markets in the nation.

You WILL meet backwards Southern types in Texas (in the major metros too, not just the small town areas), where as in Florida those kinds are a rarity.

Florida has way sexier people. Texas is a fat person's state, and they won't deny it. Everything IS bigger in Texas! lol.

Florida has more natural beauty, especially the Southern parts of the state, but even the central part of the state with the abundance of small hills and lakes is pretty as well. Texas has mountains in the west part of the state though.

I vote Texas, strictly on the job market issue. One of the things that pushed me out of Florida was the states terrible economy, especially for young college graduates. My heart aches for my family everyday but I was seriously looking at a life of squalor if I stayed there. And I would be a bum on the street before I ever served another snow bird a plate of food again. lol.
A lot of this bolded stuff isn't correct.

1. I lived in Dallas for 18 years. Hardly ever met backwards Southern types. Met about the same amount in Texas that I did when I lived in Florida. Florida isn't just Miami Beach.

2. Overall, people in Miami are better looking than people in Texas. Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville...eh, pretty debatable. I would rank North Dallas and Austin pretty highly.

3. Extremely debatable. Have you been to Texas? There are deserts and mountains in the west, plains in the north, beaches in the south, and forests in the east. Florida pretty much has beaches, swamps, and forests. No discernible elevation changes at all. Texas has all of that stuff and more. The beaches aren't as pretty as Florida, but the variation in landscape alone puts it above Florida.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
A lot of this bolded stuff isn't correct.

1. I lived in Dallas for 18 years. Hardly ever met backwards Southern types. Met about the same amount in Texas that I did when I lived in Florida. Florida isn't just Miami Beach.

2. Overall, people in Miami are better looking than people in Texas. Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville...eh, pretty debatable. I would rank North Dallas and Austin pretty highly.

3. Extremely debatable. Have you been to Texas? There are deserts and mountains in the west, plains in the north, beaches in the south, and forests in the east. Florida pretty much has beaches, swamps, and forests. No discernible elevation changes at all. Texas has all of that stuff and more. The beaches aren't as pretty as Florida, but the variation in landscape alone puts it above Florida.
Agree with all points here, and I would rank Houston and San Antonio equally high on point #2.

There is a LOT of excessive stereotyping going on in this thread, coming from both sides. It's a bit much, even for C-D. It almost reads like a grudge match in parts. Personally, I prefer Texas... but I don't think either state far outshines the other when all is said and done.

Miami aside, I think Texas is a bit more diverse. Florida has much nicer beaches, and Texas has a greater range of weather, elevation, and vegetation. Economically, I would say Texas has the lead, but it's not by some landslide margin.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,421 times
Texas and Florida are the two biggest states in the South and Florida is catching up in terms of population, so I'm not surprised there's going to be some boosting and stereotyping from both sides.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:46 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Texas and Florida are the two biggest states in the South and Florida is catching up in terms of population, so I'm not surprised there's going to be some boosting and stereotyping from both sides.
I wouldn't say Florida is catching up with Texas in terms of population. Both states are growing like crazy, but Texas is still roughly 7 or 8 million heads above Florida, and it has a slightly higher rate of growth, from what I have researched. I think Florida may have overtaken New York, but it still has a long way to go before it catches up with Texas.

Either way, it doesn't make much sense to me that there would be this much hate between the two. Then again, this is C-D.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:50 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Lol I've never compared those particular cities-

Honestly Orlando & Miami......are 2 places that are filled w/ tourists-
& that totally turns me off....I have no interest in either place, actually.
If I was going to move to Florida, I'd have to research where the best job opportunities are,
the least amount of tourists, & I wouldn't want to be in a college area (no kids acting stupid, lol)

I would love Dallas, though.....or Austin
You don't want to be around college kids, but would move to Austin???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.