U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 AM

9,012 posts, read 8,314,677 times

Advertisements

So this is the criteria:

*Cost of living
*Job opportunities (for actual good jobs)
*Nice people/educated people/normal people
*Ease of living there
*Beautiful places to go visit & explore (btw, I'm already aware of the beaches, lol)
*Mild Winters-- I'm sure both are great --but which has a more tolerable Summer??
*Not too busy or congested
*Low crime

I was originally leaning towards Florida, but Texas has always felt like it's where I should be....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,312,159 times
Texas is overall better because of affordable housing and good job prospects, but naturally I think FL is prettier. . . . pretty however doesn't pay the bills.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 AM

9,012 posts, read 8,314,677 times
^^^^^Lol I hear ya' on that....
Pretty can only take you so far, then reality kicks in
I'm wondering now with renting in a desirable area (in either state)
Which is more affordable.....

Old 08-28-2014, 09:45 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
So this is the criteria:

*Cost of living: There's a reason why Florida is more expensive. If you're educated and gainfully employed in Florida--which is hard to come by, don't get me wrong--then it's a wash.
*Job opportunities (for actual good jobs): Texas, especially if you're uneducated/unskilled.
*Nice people/educated people/normal people : Although there are lots of weirdos in Florida, people in Florida are more similar to people in the rest of the country, at least on the surface, since most are from the Northeast and Midwest.
*Ease of living there: Texas feels a lot more crowded than Florida, especially in the major cities. It's also a lot more conservative and religious than Florida, too--I'm not comfortable around that element at all.
*Beautiful places to go visit & explore (btw, I'm already aware of the beaches, lol): Florida, no question about it--far more things to do and places to visit for all tastes and preferences in Florida vs. Texas. Florida's a lot more beautiful than Texas, too. Don't get me started on day trips in Texas! From Dallas, you could make a nice day trip to, er, Oklahoma City...
*Mild Winters-- I'm sure both are great --but which has a more tolerable Summer?? WRONG--Texas has much colder winters than Florida. Ice storms are common winter occurrences in all major Texas cities, save, perhaps, Houston, which regularly sees frost, however. Texas doesn't have a body of water such as the Gulf of Mexico to temper/shelter it from arctic air masses like Florida. Summers are a lot cooler and easier in Florida, too--more breaks from the heat and humidity than in Texas (clouds, rain, sea breezes, passing "systems").
*Not too busy or congested: Again, most of the major cities in Florida, save, perhaps, Miami, feel a lot less congested than most of the major cities in Texas--less traffic, less pollution.
*Low crime: Austin is one of the safest major cities in the US, and there's no Florida equivalent.

I was originally leaning towards Florida, but Texas has always felt like it's where I should be....

I've lived in both Florida and Texas, and I vastly prefer Florida--prettier scenery, warmer winters, cooler summers, more to do within in reasonable driving distance and just in general, less polarizing culture, less redneck/conservative/religious, better roads, more laid back, less congested, less polluted, fewer hidden fees.

For me personally, Texas is just too Southern. Even though people say Texas is where a bunch of people from California and Chicago go for bigger, newer, cheaper housing, I disagree. Texas, especially in the smaller towns and rural communities, is very backwards.
There's still too much "Bubba talk" and too many "Bible thumpers" for me to truly like it there.
My responses in bold.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
My responses in bold.
I agree 100%. The only disadvantage FL has over TX seems to be job market and wages. But the southern/redneck mentality completely spoils everything about TX, for me. And the whole Texas "theme" I find to be annoying.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:47 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,821,608 times
If you decide to go for Florida, focus on the Tampa-St. Pete metro area. If you decide to go with Texas, look into the Dallas-Fort Worth or Austin metros.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,916,791 times
Texas is way better for high paying jobs than Florida but thats none of my business lol.. I like Texas better as a state as well but then again just my opinion. I like the friendly easy going nature of Texans and the women are insanely gorgeous in Texas.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,493,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree 100%. The only disadvantage FL has over TX seems to be job market and wages. But the southern/redneck mentality completely spoils everything about TX, for me. And the whole Texas "theme" I find to be annoying.
Do you possess any view that isn't towing the line for a stereotype?

Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Do you possess any view that isn't towing the line for a stereotype?
As if Texas *doesn't* have a polarizing state culture and *isn't* redneck/conservative/fundamentalist...

Please.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:09 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,493,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
As if Texas *doesn't* have a polarizing state culture and *isn't* redneck/conservative/fundamentalist...

Please.
If it were just Texas I wouldn't have posed the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or