U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,267,763 times

Advertisements

In the United States, there are countless cities with wonderful skylines, some with unrivaled beauty. But for most of us, cities go beyond a nice skyline. What I'm referring to is the true nature of a city's aesthetic, while traveling over a bridge, albeit, ranging from one that is well known or just from an ordinary overpass.

One such example is Baltimore, Maryland. This city boasts great views from the bridges that cross its waterways; but take a closer look. If you've ever had the opportunity to travel through this city while not driving, you would see such unique characteristics such as rows and rows of row-houses, industrial sites, railroad tracks, other non-central business district buildings and other idiosyncrasies that make up a city.

Another city, that I now consider, to have great panoramic views from more than one bridge is North Carolina's third largest city, Greensboro. Yes, there are other cities in North Carolina that have larger, more prominent skylines, however, like all cities this one has its charms too. For instance, if a person is driving or traveling north over the un-named bridges of Freeman Mill Road or Eugene Street, they would see, of course, downtown Greensboro, again there are other things to be seen. One can see not only the tree canopy that blankets the city, but other cell phone and other towers in the horizon, the city street lights and communities in close-reaching distance.

So, I hope this gives you some examples of what is meant by a city with great panoramic views from bridges, that are not just limited to a city's downtown core. Further, if you would like to express any city or cities you believe fits this best, please present them to us, as well as a description alongside the city or cities name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:04 PM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Arriving into Boston going southbound on US Hwy 1 over the Tobin Bridge. I love this approach. After the tolls the entire panorama of the Boston skyline opens as you pass by the Bunker Hill Monument, then through a tunnel around a corkscrew ramp merging with I-93 south, then over the Zakam Bridge into the city and into the O'Neil tunnel.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-28-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 06:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 6,367,489 times
NYC has got to be up there, and I guess the Bay Area. Newark and Jersey City can be seen from Pulaski skyway. Oh and Montreal, but that is in Canada.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 PM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
NYC has got to be up there, and I guess the Bay Area. Newark and Jersey City can be seen from Pulaski skyway. Oh and Montreal, but that is in Canada.
Yeah I do like that view of Montreal with the little mountain behind the city when crossing over the Champlain Bridge, very nice! Vancouver also has some amazing views from its bridges as well.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,437,888 times
Chicago's downtown bridges are interesting, because there are places on the Chicago River where you can see 6 or even more bridges at once, while you look at the skyline towards Lake Michigan.

Chicago holds the world's record for the number of movable bridges, too, at 37.

File:Chicago river with bridges.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,645,631 times
I agree with the OP about the views from Baltimore's bridges. Another good one is the Platt Bridge carrying PA 291 into Philadelphia from the international airport. When you crest the bridge, behold, there's Center City spread out before you in the distance. (In the foreground, there's a junked-car lot, or at least there was when I lived there. Try to ignore it.) Coming over the Ben Franklin Bridge from Camden, NJ also gives a great view.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
NYC definitely has great panoramic views from bridges. I would particularly like to mention the George Washington Bridge which connects NYC to NJ which has great views from all sides.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
The Miami skyline views from the Julia Tuttle Causeway bridge is pretty stunning.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Charleston SC

Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,181 times
Driving north on the Chicago Skyway, looking at the Lake Shore and the Loop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or