Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,509 times

Advertisements

Cost of living: I earn a slightly above average wage and have the opportunity to transfer to any branch/partner corporation for the current multinational I work for after a good few years. Job opportunities aren't a problem but I can't afford Manhattan for example but could just about get by in Brooklyn. Note: New York City is being used as an example and I can go to any state in the lower 48 as my company has branches/sister companies there.

Crime: A low crime rate would be ideal but I could put up with it if a) the crime is concentrated in one area, b) the city is so nice that people still like to live there and c) there are many safe neighborhoods.

Weather: I hate sticky weather. I spent my first 2 years of high school in Florida and hated it. I also have pretty bad allergies (hay fever) and I'm not to friendly with mosquitoes and other flying bugs. Spiders I dislike but can deal with but I hate those big skeeters.

Location: Location isn't that important. As long as the city is fairly big (500,000 +) and 3-4hrs from another city of the same size. Airport is a must.

Activities: I like sports (so much I have written more about it below) and music. I like going to indie rock gigs. I am also into fitness so jogging trails, parks and wooded areas are a nice touch.

Sports: Sports fanatic. I like football, baseball, hockey and basketball (in that order). I would prefer a city with either an NFL or MLB team, or at the very least a city in the same state as another city with one. Not too fussed about NHL or NBA team.

Politics: I am liberal but a right wing liberal. I spent some time in San Francisco and found it too liberal for my liking. I am socially liberal (on most issues) but I believe in free market capitalism and deplore pretentious liberals. I couldn't live in a really conservative place either as I am not religious and support gun control.

Vibe/feeling: I am introverted so would prefer to be in a city with people who are friendly and more likely to start the conversation with you/initiate friendship. That said I hate people who are always gossiping and nosing into your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
If you don't mind the next large city being a bit further away I'd recommend the Denver metro area. All 4 major sports (well 3.5 if you consider how lousy the Rockies are), few bugs, and very low humidity.

Some folks think people in the Denver area can be a bit standoffish. I wouldn't know as much about that aspect because I'm married with kids so I'm not trying to be a social butterfly.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:46 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
All I know is Nashville is the friendliest place I ever been to in my life and the women are so gorgeous. It is only places I ever seen where a guy can be a 3 and get a girl that looks like a supermodel. You have to love those southern belles.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times
Denver is currently the best city for a 28 year old male that fits your criteria.

You may also consider Minneapolis, Madison and San Francisco.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM

93,306 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Columbus OH may be a good fit.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:55 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
All I know is Nashville is the friendliest place I ever been to in my life and the women are so gorgeous. It is only places I ever seen where a guy can be a 3 and get a girl that looks like a supermodel. You have to love those southern belles.
Doesn't Nashville have too many fat girls?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Minneapolis, Madison, Columbus, and Nashville all lie within the humid continental climate zone. While it's not as humid as the Gulf Coast it's still rather sticky.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Minneapolis, Madison, Columbus, and Nashville all lie within the humid continental climate zone. While it's not as humid as the Gulf Coast it's still rather sticky.
To someone from an arid climate, like say perhaps Colorado...but otherwise to most of the country these cities aren't typically described as "sticky". The OP lived in Florida and can probably deal with some moderate humidity two months of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.