U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 AM

485 posts, read 1,173,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You need to narrow down what you're looking for - beach, mountains, desert, snow, no snow, college town, town with an industry where you can get jobs...
Honestly, the only of these I even remotely care about is the job one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM

56,749 posts, read 81,061,259 times
What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM

485 posts, read 1,173,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What kind of job are you looking for?
Well, most of my experience is in film/tv and there's no way I'm going to get a cheap apartment in NY/LA. I also have experience doing similar stuff on events but I hate working on events. I'd rather do something clerical/office than work on events.

Last edited by simon22; 09-01-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-01-2014, 02:56 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,517,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking maybe some of the Interior Northeastern cities such as the Tipperary Hill neighborhood of Syracuse or parts of the Southeastern Quadrant of Rochester. As mentioned above, some Midwestern and even Southern cities could work. It may also depend on city size too.
I'll second this. I have some acquaintances that live there. They get smashed every night of the week and stumble home.

Some areas on Buffalo's Westside are cheap and still in walking distance of the bars in Elmwood Village. The area near Grant and Lafeyette comes to mind first. Buffalo has a thriving, vibrant underground punk scene, if that's an interest.

The Fountain Square district of Indianapolis would be a great fit. There's lot going on in terms of nightlife, it's artsy, very walkable, and it's still cheap (for now at least).

If you don't mind the cold, I'd suggest Northeast Minneapolis. There's a great dive bar scene there, and the rent was super cheap (at least it was when I was living there there ten years ago); it might be different now. Check out the area near Lowry and University.

If you can take the heat, I'd check out the 4th Avenue district in Tucson. It kind of has a little bit of a crunchy, granola, hippy vibe going on, but it's lively, urban, walkable (a rarity in Arizona), and cheap. Great burritos.

Finally, I'll suggest Lakewood, Ohio. It's a dense, first-ring suburb of Cleveland (actually, the most densely-populated city in the state). From concert venues to dive bars to craft cocktails, Lakewood's nightlife is great, and you can still get a 1-bedroom for under $500 a month.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 09-01-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Maybe you can look into this: SUNY's nanotechnology hub in DeWitt: What you need to know | syracuse.com

What you need to know about the CNY Nano Hub and the Gina Carano flick shooting in Syracuse soon | syracuse.com

The Film House Relocates Headquarters, Production, And Distribution Hub To Syracuse, New York - Area Development

NewsChannel 9 Jobs - LocalSYR.com powered by NewsChannel 9 WSYR Syracuse

https://sbgtv-openhire.silkroad.com/...=app.jobsearch

Jobs - Central NY - Time Warner Cable News

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-01-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 AM

21,210 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Finally, I'll suggest Lakewood, Ohio. It's a dense, first-ring suburb of Cleveland (actually, the most densely-populated city in the state). From concert venues to dive bars to craft cocktails, Lakewood's nightlife is great, and you can still get a 1-bedroom for under $500 a month.
I second this option. Lakewood is a nice area and besides the financial side brings easy access to Cleveland's rail system, which is top of the class of the 2nd tier transit cities below NYC, DC, Chicago, etc.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Another smaller city that came to mind: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...le.com%2F&_rdr
Varick Street Utica, NY
Night Life

NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | WKTV Employment

Utica Apartments and Rentals - Walk Score

Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,127 times
Well, considering there are more bars per capita in Wisconsin than anywhere, you're never more than a few blocks away from one in Milwaukee or Madison or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.