U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,257,939 times

Advertisements

I like Garden of the Gods, but for my money Hanging Lake is more spectacular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,454 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Meh, I think the pictures they chose for a lot of the states probably weren't the best choices.
Boring picture of the Smokies in TN, and the pic of Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI doesn't even show a glimpse of the dunes. And the Arkansas pic left something to be desired too. I'm just not impressed with the representations chosen, I think with a little more effort there could have been some truly spectacular pics.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:56 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Illinois seems particularly "meh"- and it was that way while driving through it across the country last year- the only state that didn't really stand out in any way to me.
Overall, this is true. However, there are nice areas of IL, but all are on the border/corners (if you think of IL as a triangle) outside a couple river valleys (around Peoria & Starved Rock are both very nice).

1. Southern tip is very pretty: http://www.bringfido.com/site_media/...nset_sized.jpg

2. Galena/Jo Daviess County NW IL corner of the Driftless on the WI/IA border (not to mention the bluffs of the Upper Mississippi): http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/07...iessCounty.jpg

3. NE IL Lake Michigan (the small chunk around Chicago) and the "Lake Country" (mostly Lake County) that starts near the Wisconsin border and extends up through Lake Geneva, WI and up into the rest of Wisconsin: http://www.lakecounty.org/blog/wp-co...State-Park.jpg

You won't see much of this on the interstates, however.

In Wisconsin, we call 'em flatlanders for a reason. The highest point in Illinois is a building in Chicago; the highest natural feature is right on the Wisconsin border. The bulk of IL just isn't very scenic, it's flat farmland. But there are definitely spots that are pretty - most are right on the border with other states, though. People from IL will tell you that the landscape changes pretty much immediately upon entering WI.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 AM

7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
I just went through the pictures again and I must say that some of the photos are kind of blah. I mean they are all kind of nice but some are nothing spectacular or "stunning". Vermont's picture in particular is kind of underwhelming for such a beautiful state. And Delaware and Mississippi also probably could have used better pictures.

On the other hand, the Pennsylvania picture, while I would not describe it as "stunning", is actually very beautiful.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Pennsylvania, to me, is fairly consistently pretty.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 AM

3,073 posts, read 5,447,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Meh, I think the pictures they chose for a lot of the states probably weren't the best choices.
Boring picture of the Smokies in TN, and the pic of Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI doesn't even show a glimpse of the dunes. And the Arkansas pic left something to be desired too. I'm just not impressed with the representations chosen, I think with a little more effort there could have been some truly spectacular pics.
Yes, pics are tricky. You can have underwhelming pics of an amazing place, or you can have pics that make a place look better than it is, and everything in between. I have often found that these "lists" with pictures of great places have not-so-great pictures.

Here is an example of a misleading pic. I could post this and say, "here is the most stunning natural wonder in Michigan." But in reality, it is a neat thing to see for sure, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the list for Michigan, because it is in a part of the state that isn't super exciting overall. It is just something where you say, "ok, that is nifty" and then move on.

Turnip Rock, Port Austin, MI:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jense...n/IMG_1595.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-05-2014 at 04:57 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 AM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
Nice! The person making the decisions is obviously a mountain person.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Funny as the angle of the photo is from the Canadian side. Not to say it isn't a wonder to visit on either side.

South Carolina's pick seems to be lacking. There are only a few upstate and none of them are all that spectacular. Heck, I love waterfalls, but it seems to me somewhere like Cypress Gardens' pond would have been a better selection.
I found that humorous too that the pic of Niagara Falls was the Canadian side of the falls and not the US side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Disagree on their choices with these states

Delaware - There has to be a beach on the Atlantic more impressive than wherever that gloomy picture they took was.
Hawaii - Waimea Canyon or Napali Coast > Haleakala
New Mexico - White Sands > Carlsbad Caverns
Rhode Island - Block Island > Newport Cliffwalk
Utah - Arches National Park > Monument Valley
Vermont - Lake Willoughby > Green Mountain NF
Wyoming - Grand Tetons > Old Faithful
I agree about Utah, can't really speak for the others. There are many many more beautiful places in Utah than Monument Valley. Nothing against Monument Valley as it's gorgeous, but what about Bryce Canyon? Zion? Canyonlands? Capital Reef? Dead Horse Point? Not to mention Arches as you did. I think all are much more impressive than Monument Valley.

For Arizona, I think that site they chose is pretty cool, but for my money, nothing beats Antelope Canyon.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 AM

12,642 posts, read 10,487,316 times
New Jersey's was lame - saying the whole Jersey Shore, while true, was a cop out. There are plenty of places in particular they could have chosen - Atlantic Highlands, Island Beach State Park, any of Cape May, Barnegat Bay at Barnegat Light, etc.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 AM

556 posts, read 631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Overall, this is true. However, there are nice areas of IL, but all are on the border/corners (if you think of IL as a triangle) outside a couple river valleys (around Peoria & Starved Rock are both very nice).

1. Southern tip is very pretty: http://www.bringfido.com/site_media/...nset_sized.jpg

2. Galena/Jo Daviess County NW IL corner of the Driftless on the WI/IA border (not to mention the bluffs of the Upper Mississippi): http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2010/07...iessCounty.jpg

3. NE IL Lake Michigan (the small chunk around Chicago) and the "Lake Country" (mostly Lake County) that starts near the Wisconsin border and extends up through Lake Geneva, WI and up into the rest of Wisconsin: http://www.lakecounty.org/blog/wp-co...State-Park.jpg

You won't see much of this on the interstates, however.

In Wisconsin, we call 'em flatlanders for a reason. The highest point in Illinois is a building in Chicago; the highest natural feature is right on the Wisconsin border. The bulk of IL just isn't very scenic, it's flat farmland. But there are definitely spots that are pretty - most are right on the border with other states, though. People from IL will tell you that the landscape changes pretty much immediately upon entering WI.
highest 'natural' point in Illinois is Cahokia Mound in southern Illinois. Regardless, overall the state is meh. I lived there for over 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or