U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,933,114 times

Advertisements

I think they could have found some better pictures for a few of the states. but pretty interesting nonetheless.

Most Stunning Natural Wonder in Every State (PHOTOS) - weather.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 AM

375 posts, read 346,167 times
New York State:

Rikers Island - by a mile.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
Apostle Islands are nice, but I don't know that they're head and shoulders above Door County or many spots in the northwoods...let alone the Driftless area on the other side of the state, especially the Upper Mississippi or Devil's Lake. I suppose most states don't have one clear "winner" here.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
New York State:

Rikers Island - by a mile.
Bah Rikers Island? You can be our guest.

Its Niagara Falls for New York.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Apostle Islands are nice, but I don't know that they're head and shoulders above Door County or many spots in the northwoods...let alone the Driftless area on the other side of the state, especially the Upper Mississippi or Devil's Lake. I suppose most states don't have one clear "winner" here.
Maybe because the Apostle Islands are more remote and hard to get to?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,382 times
The Loess Hills are pretty and everything but the Driftless and Effigy Mounds are a lot nicer...

Old 09-02-2014, 03:38 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,484,228 times
I would have picked either Lake Michigan, something in the Shawnee Nat'l Forest, or the area near Galena for Illinois.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
The Loess Hills are pretty and everything but the Driftless and Effigy Mounds are a lot nicer...
Agreed. Upper Mississippi or rolling Driftless inland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I would have picked either Lake Michigan, something in the Shawnee Nat'l Forest, or the area near Galena for Illinois.
That or Starved Rock maybe? Cahokia is an extremely interesting place, historically (biggest native city/civilization in North America outside Mexico), but I wouldn't consider it a "stunning natural wonder," since it isn't "natural" and all.

Speaking of border states, I can get with Sleeping Bear for MI, though there are many other places (Pictured Rocks, Tahquamenon Falls, Lake of the Clouds) in the UP just as or more beautiful. Makes more sense than the IL/IA picks. For MN, there are also a good number of choices and I think they did OK with the Boundary Waters. Could have also done North Shore or Sawtooth (or any Iron Range hills) or Driftless "Bluff Country." Indiana isn't quite a border state, but I think the Dunes work.

Something I've pulled out of this is while there's now a tiny bit of a profile for the Driftless, nationally it has little to no recognition factor if quite possibly the most beautiful area of the Midwest doesn't show up on any of the states containing it (WI/MN/IA/IL).

Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Bah Rikers Island? You can be our guest.

Its Niagara Falls for New York.
Funny as the angle of the photo is from the Canadian side. Not to say it isn't a wonder to visit on either side.

South Carolina's pick seems to be lacking. There are only a few upstate and none of them are all that spectacular. Heck, I love waterfalls, but it seems to me somewhere like Cypress Gardens' pond would have been a better selection.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,391,718 times
Nice-seems they could have found a picture for Delaware though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or