U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,267 posts, read 5,473,848 times
Reputation: 4591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
If you visited Minnesota and saw nothing but farms, then I'm afraid to say that you're a boring person. 2/3rds of the state is forest. Did you drive through on I-90 (which runs ~10 miles parallel to the Iowa border) and assume that's all there was to Minnesota?



Minnesota's education system is roughly equivalent to Massachusetts in basically every measure.
To be fair, nearly 27 million acres of MN (about half of MN) is farmland. Not to say that farms aren't pretty and important, but MN is a big farming state, so the likelihood of seeing a lot of farmland is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Reputation: 7075
I never understood why people think that MA and CT are snobby states. I mean...I lived in CT almost all my life and just don't see it, with the exception of ONE county: Fairfield County. As for MA, I have sensed snobbiness in the Boston metro area and that's pretty much it. Central CT and western MA don't seem snooty to me at all. And even in those allegedly snooty areas, it's really not a concern to begin with. It's not like they're trying to be mean or whatever.

With that said, I would think MA is better than MN, just because it's on a the coast, has mountains, lots of quaint small towns and some of the best universities in the world. Also, Boston is more world class than Minneapolis.

Also, I love Elizabeth Warren. Michelle Bachmann sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,374 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
To be fair, nearly 27 million acres of MN (about half of MN) is farmland. Not to say that farms aren't pretty and important, but MN is a big farming state, so the likelihood of seeing a lot of farmland is high.
So? Every single state has farmland. You're also just as likely to see lakes, rivers, and evergreen forests in the state of Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,267 posts, read 5,473,848 times
Reputation: 4591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
So? Every single state has farmland. You're also just as likely to see lakes, rivers, and evergreen forests in the state of Minnesota.
So...given the fact that there are 27 million acres of farm, and the fact that the population center of MN is located pretty close to a large swatch of agricultural land (most of southern MN), means it's not wholly inconceivable that someone might have seen a lot of farmland. And it is absolutely unrelated to whether a person is "boring" or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,374 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
So...given the fact that there are 27 million acres of farm, and the fact that the population center of MN is located pretty close to a large swatch of agricultural land (most of southern MN), means it's not wholly inconceivable that someone might have seen a lot of farmland. And it is absolutely unrelated to whether a person is "boring" or not.
[eyeroll]

If one's main takeaway from visiting Minnesota is "it's nothing but farms", then one has neither actually seen the state, nor have they cared to learn anything about it.

It would be like saying "New Mexico is nothing but desert", or "Florida is nothing but swampland". It's inane and ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,267 posts, read 5,473,848 times
Reputation: 4591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
[eyeroll]

If one's main takeaway from visiting Minnesota is "it's nothing but farms", then one has neither actually seen the state, nor have they cared to learn anything about it.

It would be like saying "New Mexico is nothing but desert", or "Florida is nothing but swampland". It's inane and ignorant.
Okay then. Eye roll away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,374 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Reputation: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Okay then. Eye roll away.
If my eyes could roll any harder, my ocular muscles would eject them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Minneapolis is a fantastic city, but other than that MN is boring. It's just farms.

Mass has the best education in the country thanks to it's excellent former governor.

Mass has a better climate as well for the most part, MN winters are bone chillingly humid cold and the summers are hot with LOTS of mosquitoes.

Neither state is all that diverse outside of the big cities. Minneapolis has quite a large population of Somalis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
To be fair, nearly 27 million acres of MN (about half of MN) is farmland. Not to say that farms aren't pretty and important, but MN is a big farming state, so the likelihood of seeing a lot of farmland is high.
So yes thank you for proving him or her wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 PM
 
363 posts, read 367,180 times
Reputation: 371
MA may have a leg up in the criteria the OP has listed out. But since I prefer to live in big cities, Boston's cost of living alone would be a reason I would choose MN over MA. Boston COL is not worth for what it offers IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 AM
 
6,431 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Reputation: 7974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Minnesota's education system is roughly equivalent to Massachusetts in basically every measure.
Say what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top