U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
If you visited Minnesota and saw nothing but farms, then I'm afraid to say that you're a boring person. 2/3rds of the state is forest.
Actually, he's a known troll. There are beautiful northwoods and some of the Driftless in MN. It obviously isn't "all farms," and he knows it.

However, MN is only about a quarter forested: Forest cover by state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By comparison, Michigan (over) and Wisconsin (under) are around half forested, Illinois is 11% and Iowa is 5.4%. Massachusetts is around half, 1% over Michigan.

People are underrating MN and overrating MA here, but what's new? Overall by what was given by the OP, you do have to give the nod to MA, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 AM

7,592 posts, read 9,444,553 times
MA resident here, and I think that I just might take MN in this one, especially when one considers the cost of housing here---absolutely disgusting.

Minnesota, and the Twin Cities, are an undiscovered diamond.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,461,251 times
I've lived in both. At the state level, overall I'd lean towards Mass., but they both have strong selling points and cons.

For geography in particular I think Mass comes out ahead, but there are certainly some beautiful areas in MN as well (Boundary Waters, Miss. river valley) - but there are more prarie flatlands as well that really don't do it for me.

As for MSP vs. Bos, I'd actually choose MSP overall I think, COL being a key consideration, but also pace, traffic, etc.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
I thought MSP was a fast paced area in general and heard there's lots of traffic, although not quite as bad as Boston metro.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Say what?
Yea....Minnesota has a good educational system, but Massachusetts' system is arguably the best in the country.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,461,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea....Minnesota has a good educational system, but Massachusetts' system is arguably the best in the country.
Could be wrong but my sense is that's largely a function of how many wealthy towns MA has. Sure, there's Wellesley/Concord/Bedford, etc. but you're not buying/renting there if you're middle class.

There are plenty of underwhelming school districts in MA (no one raves about Springfield or Lawrence), and while there are some "middle-class" cities in the metro with good schools like Reading, middle-class is relative - there's still not much available to buy in that town under $350k. In MN you can potentially buy into Edina for that kind of cash.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,502,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Actually, he's a known troll. There are beautiful northwoods and some of the Driftless in MN. It obviously isn't "all farms," and he knows it.

However, MN is only about a quarter forested: Forest cover by state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By comparison, Michigan (over) and Wisconsin (under) are around half forested, Illinois is 11% and Iowa is 5.4%. Massachusetts is around half, 1% over Michigan.

People are underrating MN and overrating MA here, but what's new? Overall by what was given by the OP, you do have to give the nod to MA, however.
As noted on the top of that list, though, the percentages only include timberland. I have a hard time imagining that only 28% of Minnesota is forested. I don't have a hard time imagining that 28% of Minnesota is timberland, however.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM

308 posts, read 402,432 times
Mass still winning

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
As noted on the top of that list, though, the percentages only include timberland. I have a hard time imagining that only 28% of Minnesota is forested. I don't have a hard time imagining that 28% of Minnesota is timberland, however.
It's definitely way more than 28% forested. A large portion of the state is woodland with the occasional clearing for farmland. The entire Twin Cities metro area could be considered an urban forest.

Eerie Minneapolis skyline by bergy680, on Flickr

Sunset by bergy680, on Flickr

Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 6 days ago)

2,027 posts, read 1,987,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
As for MA, I have sensed snobbiness in the Boston metro area and that's pretty much it. Central CT and western MA don't seem snooty to me at all.

Because to most people MA = Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or