U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:44 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,516,044 times

Advertisements

Ok, fair enough...however I still think calling it "overpopulated" is a bit of an overstatement. There are plenty of quiet areas in Massachusetts, especially in the Western part of the state. It's not like Minnesota, which has ten times the land area and 2.2 million less people, but there are lots of quiet areas. However from an access point of view, people in Massachusetts have just as much access to rural areas as people in Minnesota...New England as a whole is 15,000 square miles smaller than the state of Minnesota, and there's no denying the vast wilderness of Northern New England/New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 01:03 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,191,568 times
If you're talking about access to unpopulated land, then you could say the same thing re a Minnesotan's access to the millions and millions of acres of forests and other rural lands in both Manitoba and Ontario. There's simply no comparison - Minnesota has much more access to wilderness and less populated land.

Full disclosure: When I lived in MA, I lived in Dorchester - which, for those who don't know, was a historic town but is now simply a very urban neighborhood of greater Boston. It was a very fun time in my life, and I enjoyed my time there, but it was a filthy and crime ridden area. While I lived there I also explored much of Massachusetts, especially the areas where I could hike. It was really depressing to me how environmentally spoiled MA was.

Since I've lived in MN, I've lived in both a very small town in a heavily (coniferous) forested area near the Boundary Waters, and a very small town in a heavily (deciduous) forested area near the Mississippi.

Face it - Massachusetts is teensy weensy, it's cities are old and interesting and decaying and crime ridden, and in most parts of the state it's roads and highways are clogged with traffic and it's coastline and rural areas are clogged with human detritus. The Atlantic coastline is lovely. Minnesota is bigger, it's cities are newer and cleaner (but more boring), and it is possible in most parts of the state to canoe, hike, bike, and drive for miles and miles without seeing sign of another human being. The shoreline of Lake Superior is wild and gorgeous, and the Mississippi Bluffs are beautiful.

I'm too lazy to look up crime statistics, but my bet is that the average Minnesotan sees much less crime than the average person living in Massachusetts. Feel free to debate this; I've lost interest.

So, as I said earlier, it depends on what ya want out of life. If you want a fascinating urban experience, I recommend Boston. If you want a comfortable daily life with easy access to wilderness, pick anywhere in the state of Minnesota except the Mpls/St.Paul metropolitan area.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:12 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,356,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Ok, fair enough...however I still think calling it "overpopulated" is a bit of an overstatement. There are plenty of quiet areas in Massachusetts, especially in the Western part of the state. It's not like Minnesota, which has ten times the land area and 2.2 million less people, but there are lots of quiet areas. However from an access point of view, people in Massachusetts have just as much access to rural areas as people in Minnesota...New England as a whole is 15,000 square miles smaller than the state of Minnesota, and there's no denying the vast wilderness of Northern New England/New York.

Think there are only 1.15 million less people in Minnesota...

Last edited by midwest1; 09-12-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,766,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
So, as I said earlier, it depends on what ya want out of life. If you want a fascinating urban experience, I recommend Boston. If you want a comfortable daily life with easy access to wilderness, pick anywhere in the state of Minnesota except the Mpls/St.Paul metropolitan area.
You have easy access to wilderness in MSP too; certainly easier than like Marshall and Pipestone. But even from the southern MSP suburbs it's only 90 minutes or so to Sandstone and all the surrounding state forests.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 PM

36 posts, read 35,402 times
Quote:
If you're talking about access to unpopulated land, then you could say the same thing re a Minnesotan's access to the millions and millions of acres of forests and other rural lands in both Manitoba and Ontario. There's simply no comparison - Minnesota has much more access to wilderness and less populated land.

Full disclosure: When I lived in MA, I lived in Dorchester - which, for those who don't know, was a historic town but is now simply a very urban neighborhood of greater Boston. It was a very fun time in my life, and I enjoyed my time there, but it was a filthy and crime ridden area. While I lived there I also explored much of Massachusetts, especially the areas where I could hike. It was really depressing to me how environmentally spoiled MA was.

Since I've lived in MN, I've lived in both a very small town in a heavily (coniferous) forested area near the Boundary Waters, and a very small town in a heavily (deciduous) forested area near the Mississippi.

Face it - Massachusetts is teensy weensy, it's cities are old and interesting and decaying and crime ridden, and in most parts of the state it's roads and highways are clogged with traffic and it's coastline and rural areas are clogged with human detritus. The Atlantic coastline is lovely. Minnesota is bigger, it's cities are newer and cleaner (but more boring), and it is possible in most parts of the state to canoe, hike, bike, and drive for miles and miles without seeing sign of another human being. The shoreline of Lake Superior is wild and gorgeous, and the Mississippi Bluffs are beautiful.

I'm too lazy to look up crime statistics, but my bet is that the average Minnesotan sees much less crime than the average person living in Massachusetts. Feel free to debate this; I've lost interest.

Very interesting perspective. When you're away from MN you realize how much you miss that pure nature feeling. I imagine places in Montana or something have that...

Old 06-15-2017, 02:24 AM

1,305 posts, read 1,256,892 times
Quote:

I just found this thread and I thought I'd do the legwork. Looks like Mass has slightly higher crime, but it's still low compared to most of the US:

State Violent crime Murder Rape Robbery Aggravated Assault

Mass. 391.4 2.0 32.3 89.5 267.6

Minn. 229.1 1.6 36.7 67.6 123.3

https://www.infoplease.com/us/crime/...ate-state-2014

Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 AM

8,771 posts, read 7,700,979 times
As a Massachusetts resident, I'd take Minnesota. Though both are kinda not my thing.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:37 PM

525 posts, read 449,039 times
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always envisioned Minnesota to be like Maine, (meant as a compliment) with Boston plopped in around the Brunswick/Bath/Topsam area of Maine (Boston=MSP, Rochester=Portland). Additionally multiple people I know who have been to both states agree with me.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always envisioned Minnesota to be like Maine, (meant as a compliment) with Boston plopped in around the Brunswick/Bath/Topsam area of Maine (Boston=MSP, Rochester=Portland). Additionally multiple people I know who have been to both states agree with me.
Not even close Maine is far more mountainous than Minnesota

Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,024,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Minnesota is very rural outside of the Twin Cities. A large part of Minnesota is similar to the plains states, and the northern part of Minnesota is woodsy. Duluth (280,000 MSA) and Rochester (190,000 MSA), the two most populated cities outside of the Twin Cities MSA, are fairly small cities, and Duluth is way north. Not a very densely populated state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or