U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times

Advertisements

It can snow heavily in both Greenville and Asheville. The summers will be miserable. Less so in the mountains but still can be miserable and humid.

There are a couple lakes in SC to kayak on in the NW corner. As far as the mountains, most of the nearby lakes will be private. The mountain kayaking is mostly whitewater. The water is freezing so the seasons can be short like in the North. In either city it will be a drive for either good kayaking or a hike.

It is the south so even though there are a ton of transplants, there maybe be a culture shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 AM

2,642 posts, read 4,818,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2NY2HI2 View Post
4. After moving to New York we realized hiking is a must. Waterfall hiking is our absolute favorite past time. This usually means we need to be close to mountains. By close I mean we are willing to drive an hour and a half on the weekends to waterfall hike but aside from waterfalls it would be great to have nice trails nearby to use during the week. If we had five places in the woods to walk a couple of miles each night after work we would be in heaven in that aspect. We appreciate places that invest in nature.
5. We like historical cities and plan to buy a big old beat up Victorian house to renovate over the next few years. We would rather rent a luxury apartment than buy a home built beyond 1930ish.
6. We are looking southeast because of the climate. Florida will not work for us because we are over the tropical thing. We want somewhere that doesn't really freeze in the winter. We miss fall colors. An average low of 38 would be totally fine as we enjoy winter clothes, fireplaces, camp fires and warm drinks. Summer months can be hot. We have no issue with the warm weather. Humidity sucks but after living in Michigan we've come to appreciate the heat since there is such a lack of summer months there.
7. We would like to find a place that is safe of course. We ruled out Atlanta because the crime appears to be so bad as per city-data's map. I'm not sure just how much attention we should pay to those. It seems you can find warnings of gangs for just about any city on the map while surfing the web.
You should not rule out Atlanta because of crime. The crime issues are minimal on the north side and most people will never see the high crime areas of south Atlanta. You might want to rule out Atlanta because of the size of the city though. Atlanta also has the best weather of the southeast due to its elevation and position south of of the Great Smoky mountains.

I recommend looking in the northern cities of the Atlanta metro. Check out small towns like Dawsonville or Dahlonega. Maybe check out far northern suburbs like Woodstock or Canton for more housing options.

Hiking Trails of North Georgia

https://www.google.com/search?q=amic...w=1366&bih=663

http://dahlonega.org/images/Files/Da...king-Guide.pdf

Blankets Creek

https://www.google.com/search?q=autu...w=1366&bih=663

http://dahlonega.org/outdoor-adventu...e-kayak-tubing

Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Greenville has some great lakes nearby. It has a booming economy. I am shocked at the 4% unemployment figure for Asheville - a recurring theme is the difficulty of obtaining jobs - but perhaps that is among the younger crowd.

With more experience you might luck out and land a position. No reason not to try.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Greenville has some great lakes nearby. It has a booming economy. I am shocked at the 4% unemployment figure for Asheville - a recurring theme is the difficulty of obtaining jobs - but perhaps that is among the younger crowd.

With more experience you might luck out and land a position. No reason not to try.
That 4% could be due to people giving up in terms of looking for work or may be underemployed.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
The more we look into Asheville the more we are falling slightly in love. It obvious it has all the beauty and hiking we could possibly ask for. Unemployment rate is merely 4.1 percent. That's a big plus. We both have BA in Business MGT and Marketing so we should be able to find something. Rent looks extremely affordable. Can anybody give me feedback on drawbacks of this particular city? How are the people? The food? If I should post someplace else to ask this question please just say so.

Thanks again everyone!
Asheville is as wonderful as you think. The people are very friendly and welcoming to all types of people which is a refreshing change from much of the Southeast. The quality/quantity of it's food and restaurant scene is more indicative of a major Northeast city than one of just 85K. The history and architecture in particular is pretty impressive for a city of it's size as well, and features the largest collection of preserved Art Deco buildings outside of Miami's South Beach. And then of course you have the city's surroundings which are unmatched by most US cities of any size.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,957 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the suggestions folks. Can anybody give me any particular advice on Greenville, SC VS Asheville, NC? Or should I post in a separate forum? It looks like Greenville may be slightly more historical and affordable. Can anybody elaborate on this?

Edit: I take that back. Asheville looks a little more historical but Greenville still more affordable. The more we look into Asheville the more we are falling slightly in love. It obvious it has all the beauty and hiking we could possibly ask for. Unemployment rate is merely 4.1 percent. That's a big plus. We both have BA in Business MGT and Marketing so we should be able to find something. Rent looks extremely affordable. Can anybody give me feedback on drawbacks of this particular city? How are the people? The food? If I should post someplace else to ask this question please just say so.

Thanks again everyone!
I would start in the Western North Carolina forum here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/

My brother lives in Asheville and loves it. You will get dustings of snow in the wintertime, but it is generally warmer there than in the North. There are some great restaurants and some neat places to visit, especially for hiking. It's a bit of a hippie haven as well (drum circles, etc.). I loved their Bele Chere festival but that was discontinued after last year.

Taking a taxi back to the hotel, I asked the driver what was up with the economy there and he said it was dying. That's the only negative thing I have heard and I'm not sure that it would effect you much, considering that's just an opinion.

Check out the Western NC forum and good luck!

View from Skybar in Asheville:

Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
My husband and I visit Asheville often and love that area. You may also want to check out Knoxville, TN as well as Greenville, SC and Huntsville, AL (yes, Alabama - Huntsville is in the Appalachian foothills). I also second the motion that you may want to consider some bedroom communities north of Atlanta, GA.

Not sure if you've considered the Ouachita and Ozark mountains of central and NW Arkansas, but you may want to take a trip down to Hot Springs, AR (and Little Rock) and check them out as well. Crime rates are a little alarming for both those cities, but like Atlanta, they're deceiving - crime is largely isolated in several high crime areas, not really widespread.

Arkansas is often overlooked but it's mountain regions are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Winters can be a bit harsh in the Ozarks (not so much the Ouachitas).

Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM

46 posts, read 46,937 times
Wow, I woke up (Hawaii is 6 hours behind the east) and not to my surprise there is so much to read and investigate. Tons of great information here. It actually kind of excited me to hear Asheville is somewhat hippie. I'm 30 and my girl is 50 so we are open minded and actually enjoy that sort of culture, and no I don't mean that we smoke weed

The job market is something we really need to be careful of since we are moving with no extra money once again. Statistics can be deceiving at times so I'm glad to be warned of that repeatedly. I agree, it seems to be a concern with a lot of people that move there. We really need to make $40,000 each to survive and be happy, but we also have great experience.

I have been told many times to check out northern AK but we have a hard time getting over the "country bumpkin" thought in our minds. It's one of the reasons we are leaving Hawaii. It's left a really bad taste in our mouths and would really like to get back to some "classier" areas. Please don't be offended by that comment. I wasn't sure how else to word it. I'm not judging or saying the stereotypes are true, we've just never been there so it's tough to make a judgement call. We want to at least fit in better than we do here. I'll just leave it at that without elaborating further as I don't want to talk poorly of Hawai'i.

I've looked many times in Northern GA and it's beautiful. I'm glad you guys pointed out northern Atlanta is an option. I will need to look further into that.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Asheville is nice but its economy leaves a LOT to be desired. There are lots of low-wage service jobs and not much industry outside of that, and housing costs are steadily rising. If a decent-paying job can be had then go for it, but that won't exactly be easy.

Why are decent pay, decent housing elusive in Asheville?
Out in the cold: Asheville sees spike in young-adult homeless population | Mountain Xpress

Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 PM

46 posts, read 46,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Asheville is nice but its economy leaves a LOT to be desired. There are lots of low-wage service jobs and not much industry outside of that, and housing costs are steadily rising. If a decent-paying job can be had then go for it, but that won't exactly be easy.

Why are decent pay, decent housing elusive in Asheville?
Out in the cold: Asheville sees spike in young-adult homeless population | Mountain Xpress
What a shame for such a nice location. I'm now thinking I will look closer at Knoxville. Crime is also apparently higher than normal there according this site, but again I'm not sure I should trust it. I'm sure there are good and bad areas like everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or