U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM

46 posts, read 46,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Here in Knoxville they've started putting down brine instead of salt. I think this is becoming a trend in cities with mild freezes. You still need to rinse the underside of your car at some point - but I don't think it does as much damage as rock salt.
How is the crime in Knoxville? Are there any specific areas we should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,760,259 times
There are some places you wouldn't want to be around after dark, but I deliver charity food in some of the poorest neighborhoods in town and have never encountered a problem.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,138,116 times
You might look at Chattanooga, TN. Mountains and boating there, with more mountains and lakes a short drive to the NE.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 PM

I just reread the OP - we've been focusing on water and hiking - overlooked the desire to fix up a run down Victorian.

I could point you to an up and coming neighborhood in Knoxville that still has Victorians in need of TLC - but would the crime issues bother you? The more gentrified neighborhoods have beautiful homes but they have just about all been fixed up.

Now if you are from Detroit this might not be a problem.

How about the St Elmo neighborhood in Chattanooga, spikett? is it considered safe these days? are there still affordable Victorians that need fixing?

A small town with wonderful Victorians is Harriman TN. Though it is not as well rounded as Knoxville or suited to the whole foods/ healthy eating mindset - if the house is the priority it may be worth looking into. You might get good paying jobs in Oak Ridge and there is lots of hiking and waterfalls nearby.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 AM

I thought of another town near Knoxville where you might find a Victorian to fix up. Lenoir city is close enough to commute to the corporate jobs in west Knoxville - also not far from a big suburban shopping center that includes an Earth fare supermarket.

Still the small town ambience and not a hotbed for fine dining, but you are not too far from Knoxville's upscale suburb of Farragut. Via a curvy road if you prefer that to the interstate.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
If, IF they can find jobs the tri-cities might work. I looked at some lovely, affordable Victorians, farmhouses and bungalows when I moved here and it certainly offers plenty of the outdoor activities they want. And it's close enough to Ashville to make day trips.

handy landform map for waterfalls etc. Tennessee Landforms -- Waterfalls
elevation map http://geology.com/state-map/maps/te...-state-map.gif

Examples of what is on the market atm
1125 Shelby Street,
908 Pennsylvania Ave,
601 Pennsylavania, Bristol,

Old 09-04-2014, 11:40 AM

Default I think we've got a plan.

It looks like we need to let go of a few things. The Victorian dream will need to wait until our debt is further paid off and that's fine. The more we talk here at home, the more we realize we really just want to find a place with a great job market, more mild winters than we have been used to in the north, and affordable cost of living with the ability to hike the mountains on the weekend if we'd like. We have been looking very closely at Greenville, SC. It seems to have an awesome job market, low crime rate, it looks pretty and apartments are very affordable compared to what we were used to in Rochester, NY and here in Hawai'i. They seem to have good culture, plenty to do in the city and also plenty of parks nearby. After much of talk last night we are fairly sure this is a direction we are heading simply because it offers everything we really NEED at this point with a good job market and low cost of living, unless somebody can tell me some bad things about Greenville, SC that we need to watch out for.

Man, it sure would be nice to find an employer willing to hire and pay for relocation so we don't have to wait to build up our savings again (LOL I KNOW WISHFUL THINKING!). We REALLY don't like it here in Hawai'i.

P.S. - To the above poster, we are not from Detroit. We are from the Tri-City area (Saginaw, Midland, Bay City).

Last edited by MI2NY2HI2; 09-04-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 AM

Greenville is a wonderful city and I'm sure you've discovered there is a waterfall right in the middle of downtown.

People may say it is too conservative but it is very easy to visit Asheville on the weekend to get your hippie groove on :-).

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Greenville is a wonderful city and I'm sure you've discovered there is a waterfall right in the middle of downtown.

People may say it is too conservative but it is very easy to visit Asheville on the weekend to get your hippie groove on :-).
Yes, we noticed the waterfall and it appears to be within an hour and a half to northern falls that are scattered all over Georgia and the falls around Asheville. That pretty much gives us a hundred or so waterfall hikes I can only assume. That should keep up busy for three years or so. As for the conservative thing, we tend to keep somewhat to ourselves but are easily able to blend in to the crowd as long as folks are friendly and welcoming. Overall the City seems like a great central location also with access to many places with a short drive on the weekend.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:43 PM

And there are great falls in the upstate. I have a guide to about a dozen falls near lake Jocasee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or