Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 8,754 times

Advertisements

I want to know how many folks have completely uprooted themselves to a different city and state.

Did you have a job waiting for you?
Did you know anyone?
Did you go by yourself or with a partner?
Why did you decide to move there?
What city did you move to?
Would you do it again?
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move?

Thanks for your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Two years ago, I attempted to do this and failed pretty badly. I ended up blowing through $14,000 of my cash and had no job secured. I was 28 years old and had to go back and live home with parents, which really sucked.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
A few times. Originally from Riverside, CA.

Ridgecrest, CA, 2004
Did you have a job waiting for you? no
Did you know anyone? only my mom and sister
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? solo
Why did you decide to move there? I was broke, was hoping the move would provide more opportunities
What city did you move to? Ridgecrest, SE side
Would you do it again? no, but ultimately I'm glad I did it then
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? whatever scraps were in my bank account

Denver, CO, 2007
Did you know anyone? no
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? with then-girlfriend and kids
Why did you decide to move there? wanted big city/four-season climate, cheaper COL
What city did you move to? Denver suburb of Aurora
Would you do it again? yes, this move changed my life
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? $6K

Spokane, WA, 2009
Did you have a job waiting for you? yes
Did you know anyone? no
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? then-girlfriend/kids, but they didn't come until I was there 1 month
Why did you decide to move there? work transfer
What city did you move to? west side of Spokane
Would you do it again? absolutely, in the right circumstances
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? whatever it was, it wasn't enough

Denver, CO, 2009
Did you have a job waiting for you? yes
Did you know anyone? everybody I knew when I was here the first time
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? with then-girlfriend and kids
Why did you decide to move there? work transfer
What city did you move to? Denver proper (DTC), have since purchased house in Arvada
Would you do it again? yes
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? boss paid for most of it, bare minimum, sold a bunch of crap on craigslist to make this move

Old 11-12-2014, 08:28 PM

417 posts, read 445,009 times
Yes, Have done this before and will be doing it again next week. I have been researching and comparing cities on here for 7 months now, and still don't have a destination. Looks like I'll just pack what I can fit in the car and drift for a while.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 PM

127 posts, read 156,321 times
SF Bay Area to Houston, TX

Did you have a job waiting for you? Yes, I had been looking for jobs all over the country and moved to the First city that offered me what I thought was a good offer.
Did you know anyone? No one. I still only really know my coworkers.
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? Alone
Why did you decide to move there? I had lived in California my whole life and I wanted to experience living in another state before I got weighed down bu obligations like a spouse and children.
What city did you move to? Houston, Tx
Would you do it again?Without hesitation.
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? I did not save up any money specifically for the move.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:43 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I've lived in Massachusetts most of my life and made two big out of state moves.

-Seattle: 2000-2005, moved there at age 22

Did you have a job waiting for you? -No

Did you know anyone? -One good friend

Did you go by yourself or with a partner? -By myself, split up with my ex shortly before moving there and wanted to get the hell out of dodge.

Why did you decide to move there? -I visited Seattle and fell in love with the city and needed a change of scenery.

What city did you move to? -Seattle, in Capital Hill specifically. Spent the better part of my 20's having fun and sewing my wild oats. I also launched my career there, good times!

Would you do it again? -I moved back to Massachusetts for seven years and moved out west again.

And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move - LOL, $800! I'd never recommend it. I was younger, it was spontaneous (as implied earlier, getting out of dodge), and I had luck on my side as I had a place to stay for the transition and I found a job on my third day there. All my friends back home said I'd be back within six months. I was determined to prove them wrong and make it work out, and I did!

-New Mexico: 2012 - the present

Did you have a job waiting for you? Yes

Did you know anyone? No

Did you go by yourself or with a partner? With my man

Why did you decide to move there? We both wanted a change of scenery, more reasonable cost of living, more sunny days and overall better climate. That and we were intrigued with desert living, still loving it!

What city did you move to? First we landed in Santa Fe for a few months during the transition and then down to Albuquerque where I found a better job.

Would you do it again? Yes, we're looking at moving to Arizona in 2015

And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? $6,000

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-12-2014 at 08:59 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
I've made two big moves, both for career reasons.

WY---WI

WI---AL

I wouldn't just pickup and move unless there was a better job. That just isn't who I am.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:19 PM

25 posts, read 32,121 times
I haven't done it yet but probably will in the spring. I'm not sure where yet but it will be somewhere warmer for sure.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 AM

734 posts, read 920,516 times
Then-fiance-now-wife and I uprooted from DC to Tampa pretty much on a whim several years back. Weren't sure Tampa was the place we wanted to stay forever (it isn't...), but we had to get the hell out of DC before we lost our ambition to escape and started settling down.

We found jobs before we left (she's in medicine; I'm in IT)
Didn't know a soul
Went with each other
Moved to escape the insane COL, the traffic, the people, the lifestyle
Moved to Tampa
I would do it again, just probably not to Tampa. I mean.. it's alright down here, just not somewhere I want to live permanently.
I had a few months of $ saved up but it wasn't really necessary since again we both had jobs waiting

Old 11-13-2014, 03:51 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Did you know anyone? yes and no
Did you go by yourself or with a partner? yes and no
Why did you decide to move there? drifter
What city did you move to? too many to list
Would you do it again? The world has changed and it makes me sad. The economy isn't the same as it used to be and big moves like I used to make are almost impossible to do unless someone is a trust fund kid. Plus there is Obamacare so there are no options for going without healthcare and moving around.
And if it isn't too personal, how much did you save up to move? not a lot.

My advice to kids out of high school is to save up enough to buy a place and live mortgage free, skip college, and travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.