Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,325,755 times

Advertisements

Where do you believe the best place to live in the United States would be in order to survive financially?

larger city? smaller town? around rich people? around already poor people? north, south, east west? Does it even matter?

Just curious as to your opinion if this hypothetically happened except this time its much worse than 2008?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:52 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
It's been proven time in/time out the places that don't suffer (or as much with quick recovery) are specific cities such as Washington DC and Boston, as well as college towns and state capitals in general.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Washington D.C., SF, Boston, Seattle, Denver, Atlanta, and Texas cities would all do well whether or not the nation fell into another recession.

LA, Chicago, and Detroit would likely suffer if there was another recession.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I don't see a major financial collapse like the last one for at least 30 years.

We will have a number of "hurtful" recessions between now and then. I handled the last one very well because I didn't panic, I had a nice sum of cash on hand and cut back on buying things I didn't need.

I am a graphic designer, and freelanced through most of 2007-2011, and yes there were times when I wouldn't work for a week. But the next week would bring more work than I could handle, and there were many 15 hour days. I never turned work down.

My clients were in NY, CA and MO. I could have worked anywhere, and almost moved to Holland.

I was able to purchase two homes within 4 years (one in MO, and a Condo in CA) because people panicked and sold their homes at a loss.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:01 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
The economy is on the upward swing, and I don't see it going anywhere else.

An established major metro area NY, LA, Boston, Chicago would probably be the most stable place. Expensive? Probably, but stable. Not a major boom and bust cycle.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The economy is on the upward swing, and I don't see it going anywhere else.
What basis do you have for that statement? The Federal Reserve's policies such as quantitative easing that have created this "economy on the upswing" are unprecedented and we really have no idea what the ramifications will be.

Many at the Fed itself are now speaking out:

"In this regard, the unconventional monetary policy has reinforced the recession by stimulating the private sector’s money demand through pursuing an excessively low interest rate policy (i.e., the zero-interest rate policy)."

What Does Money Velocity Tell Us about Low Inflation in the U.S.? | St. Louis Fed On the Economy

One thing that does seem certain is that our fraudulent market corrects itself about every 7 years.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Washington D.C., SF, Boston, Seattle, Denver, Atlanta, and Texas cities would all do well whether or not the nation fell into another recession.

LA, Chicago, and Detroit would likely suffer if there was another recession.
Where were you in the early 1970s when Seattle went into a deep recession? Just wait until Boeing goes into layoff mode.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
What basis do you have for that statement? The Federal Reserve's policies such as quantitative easing that have created this "economy on the upswing" are unprecedented and we really have no idea what the ramifications will be.

Many at the Fed itself are now speaking out:

"In this regard, the unconventional monetary policy has reinforced the recession by stimulating the private sector’s money demand through pursuing an excessively low interest rate policy (i.e., the zero-interest rate policy)."

What Does Money Velocity Tell Us about Low Inflation in the U.S.? | St. Louis Fed On the Economy

One thing that does seem certain is that our fraudulent market corrects itself about every 7 years.
^I agree with all of this.

Anyone who doesn't see that this economy is built on a very thin foundation is in for a world of shock. Post 2008 the central banks around the globe have been printing free money like there is no tommorow. Never before in the history of the modern era has this happened before on such a grand scale.

On top of this, everyone with some amount of financial sense knows that stocks and real estate is being propped up by low interest rate policy, and QE 1,2,3,4 etc....

All of this is occuring when Generation X and Y are saddeled with record student debt, and income inequality keeps growing.

Not trying to be a fear monger here, but the 2008 collapse was just the beginning of something bigger. We really never left the recession. It was just masked by free money for the big banks.

In answer to the OPs original question. In the United States I would say that cities like Minneapolis, Denver, Portland, San Fran, Seattle, and Boston are pretty safe. Some of the other major NE cities will fare better.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere in the deep south, lower midwest, or places like Las Vegas or Phoneix.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,039 times
Can we get reasons/justifications for why certain cities are safer than others? I agree with most that have been posted, but it would be good to see why they are projected to survive.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Can we get reasons/justifications for why certain cities are safer than others? I agree with most that have been posted, but it would be good to see why they are projected to survive.
Higher Education and Government/Military jobs overwhelmingly stay intact during economic downturns. It's pretty much a given that when area residents maintain standard of living, so does the area's economy for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.