U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You missed my point, but what I said is fairly true.
I've never seen "OMG you believe in God?!! Why??"

But a "Oh dear, an atheist? But you're going to hell!) (nudges their kids away from you)
I have definitely seen both, enough to believe that neither side is better than the other. I've heard lots of "sky daddy", "fairy", "imaginary" stuff from atheists, and general dismissal of any idea the believer may have simply because of that one trait. From Christians, I've seen similar: "heathen", "hellbound", etc. and some tendency to push that individual out of their social circles. This is definitely not a common occurrence for either side, though; just enough loudmouth people for it to be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:17 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,756,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Come on, I'm sure you've occasionally heard an atheist say something along the lines of 'You believe in a god? How simpleminded of you!".
The disrespect and stupidity can cut both ways.
I can honestly say I haven't. But I grew up in the south. Many Catholics and Baptists here.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 AM

14,976 posts, read 31,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post

What people fail to realize or either don't want to admit is that most southerners under the age of 60 can hardly be called devout Christians. Many are lapsed Protestants who would rather sit home and watch football than be bothered with church on Sunday. And even within the church you have a slew of people who aren't very Christian like 6 days out of the week.
This is exactly the way it is.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:47 AM

44,713 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
While that's sad and all it's not a representation of Atheists a like. The only thing Atheists have in common inherently is the lack of belief in a God. That's the only thing we would automatically agree on.
Oh, I know and I can say the same about Christians in general - we have many, many differing beliefs but the one thing we do agree on is a belief in Jesus Christ.

I gave that example as an example of how militant behavior can come from either end of the spectrum and how destructive and counter productive it is regardless of the source.

I think either extreme is sad and is not a representation of most atheists, or Christians.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM

14,976 posts, read 31,366,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
This is exactly the way it is.
Just to add to my earlier comment, if you were to go into any of the churches in my town on a Sunday morning you'd find mostly elderly people. The church right next door to my home was forced to close because there weren't enough younger people attending. I think in the next 10 or 15 years you'll see a lot of empty church buildings in the South.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:41 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
I don't beleive in any god and I'm not religious at all. I would say 90% of my friends are non-religious, as well as my family and most of my neighborhood growing up. It's just a non-issue.

There are athiests who are totally AGAINST religion and militant about it, but a vast majority of the non-religious are just that....not interested in religion. I don't care if anyone is religious, just don't tell me about it. To me it's like someone who's really into horse breeding or gardening. That's groovy that you love it - but you don't need to talk about it all the time or waste your time trying to get me involved. It's not my cup of tea. There's no right or wrong answer on religion, if you are into it or if you're not is everyone's personal choice. Believing or not doesn't make anyone "better".

I do feel like religious people are a bit more intense and damning to atheists in their comments and views, whereas atheists are basically just laughing at religious people cause to them it all seems so silly. They normally don't seem so intense or "angry" about it as the backtalk from deeply religious people. Religious people also tend to seem more personally offended by the backtalk.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 24 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,138,014 times
Religion in America is mostly cultural. If you say you don't believe in God that raises eyebrows, but if you actually follow the Bible strictly then you're viewed as a goody two shoes, even in the Bible belt.

Did you know lawsuits, speeding, mini skirts, excessive wealth, and getting drunk are forbidden in the New Testament? Still think America is a true Christian nation? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or