U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is why I would never fit in, in the South. I'm a hardcore, devout, militant in-your-face atheist. A GAY one, at that.

I see your in CT now, and that part of the nation is likely very comfortable for you. Another area that a "hardcore militant in your face atheist" may feel comfortable in is the PNW. I hear that is the liberal shangra la. (I know I butchered that one lol) It is always easier to live among people who have at least some shared values with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM

308 posts, read 402,432 times
Militant in your face atheist wtf chill man

Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,796,650 times
HelloThere2 = "there are lots of liberals in the south aren't there?"

Assuming you're not trolling, no, there are not lots of liberals in the South.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The major cities of the South should be fine. The Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Charlotte areas. Memphis, Birmingham, and Nashville might be a little resistant. Those areas between 100k-500k, do research. Under 100k stay away.
That's stretching it. I distinctly remember being in a barbershop in Marshall, Texas (pop. 23523) where a group of men were openly discussing all their problems with religion/the bible and why they no longer attend church. No one said a word in protest.

What people fail to realize or either don't want to admit is that most southerners under the age of 60 can hardly be called devout Christians. Many are lapsed Protestants who would rather sit home and watch football than be bothered with church on Sunday. And even within the church you have a slew of people who aren't very Christian like 6 days out of the week.

Personally I am a man of faith but I'm not giving any atheists a hard time about their beliefs, nor will I support the ridiculous idea that they are unwelcome in the south or that they're only safe in the large cities.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM

601 posts, read 791,821 times
Stick to the major cities and college towns, and you'll do okay. Matter of fact, you could apply this to most places in the US, as rural areas usually tend to be more religious, and urban areas are more secular.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:02 PM

308 posts, read 402,432 times
Isn't atlanta wicked gay? That's in the south. Go there.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
HelloThere2 = "there are lots of liberals in the south aren't there?"

Assuming you're not trolling, no, there are not lots of liberals in the South.
What? Yes there are. Almost every major southern city is predominantly Democrat/liberal.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,024 times
Also, as long as you're not a militant anything, you should get along fine anywhere. A lot of people just don't wanna be bothered with what others believe in. I knew people of all beliefs (or lack of belief) growing up, and everyone got along and was treated fine. If anything, it was worse to be a Muslim then anything else (due to the terrorist attacks and stereotypes portrayed by the media).

Old 09-03-2014, 06:59 PM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
I live in northeast Texas in a smallish metro area of about 225,000 people or so. Though there are plenty of churches, people aren't going to chase you down in the street trying to evangelize to you - nor are they going to burn a cross in your yard. They're most likely to be polite about it and maybe a bit caught off guard if YOU bring up the fact that you're an atheist, but that's about it.

Our city manager is a rather outspoken atheist and somehow or another he's managed to get along with just about everyone, so I think it's safe to say you'd be just fine around here.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:04 PM

18,642 posts, read 23,224,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere2 View Post
Dear readers,

While l was looking for another place to live I was mostly looking at Colorado, New England and California. I was also looking at the south for a bit - I love the south. One problem is the following: I do not believe in God. I'm not a hardcore atheist that bashes religious people - I get that it's nice to believe in something. I honestly don't care if people believe in God but I'm afraid that a lot of people in the bible belt will judge someone who doesn't believe in faith.

Kind regards

In my experience, yes. More than say in LA or NYC.

It would be an odd choice for a move for someone who is not at least somewhat religious. Especially Christian. Most of my family members and friends who have relocated to the south were attracted to that region because they were already rather religious and conventional, if not conservative. They are even more religious now and seem to have assimilated well.

The ones who did not fare so well, moved entirely to escape cold weather or for a lower cost of living, have moved back or are unhappy.

If you are from the South and happen to be an atheist - or light on religious roots, it will be easier for you.

In the same way, I would not suggest that a Fundamentalist Christian move to certain areas of the country were religion is more private and not so deeply woven into the fabric of society.

One is not better than the other. It's what suits you best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or