U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,177,967 times
Reputation: 7005

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
And this is where the issue comes from. Intentionally trying to offend people with militant comments is exactly what causes problems.
Exactly.

I have atheist and Christian friends.

BOTH have their up and down sides. BOTH can be insightful, but also very annoying and having a high-nosed attitude towards people who don't think like they do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: A Yankee in northeast TN
10,475 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Reputation: 23269
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I've never seen "OMG you believe in God?!! Why??"

But a "Oh dear, an atheist? But you're going to hell!) (nudges their kids away from you)
Come on, I'm sure you've occasionally heard an atheist say something along the lines of 'You believe in a god? How simpleminded of you!".
The disrespect and stupidity can cut both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,502,359 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Come on, I'm sure you've occasionally heard an atheist say something along the lines of 'You believe in a god? How simpleminded of you!".
The disrespect and stupidity can cut both ways.
Actually, I haven't. I hang with Atheists all of the time and am an Atheist as well. I consider myself to be pretty hardcore, but I don't call people simpleminded or question people's beliefs without provocation. Honestly I'm pretty out numbered here in the south and have pretty close to no support so yeah... plus it's just rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The disrespect and stupidity can cut both ways.
Exactly. These "I've never heard/seen this" arguments are completely pointless because everyone's experience will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,748 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Reputation: 63377
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Actually, I haven't. I hang with Atheists all of the time and am an Atheist as well. I consider myself to be pretty hardcore, but I don't call people simpleminded or question people's beliefs without provocation. Honestly I'm pretty out numbered here in the south and have pretty close to no support so yeah... plus it's just rude.
Well, actually I have. Atheists have pointedly told me, "I don't have my own personal sky daddy." That's pretty rude right there.

And it wasn't provoked either - this particular atheist I'm thinking of is hard core and absolutely HATES the church, Christianity, or really any religion (but especially Christianity). I finally had to "unfriend" her even though I love her (she is my dearest cousin in fact) because she was so inflammatory on Facebook - would want to openly debate me on anything related to religion. And for the record, I am not one of those people who regularly post pithy little "Jesus statements" on Facebook. I mean, she'd want to go to the mat with me if I posted something like, "God bless our troops." (And as the mother of three troops, I found her inflammatory comments doubly insulting.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,502,359 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, actually I have. Atheists have pointedly told me, "I don't have my own personal sky daddy." That's pretty rude right there.

And it wasn't provoked either - this particular atheist I'm thinking of is hard core and absolutely HATES the church, Christianity, or really any religion (but especially Christianity). I finally had to "unfriend" her even though I love her (she is my dearest cousin in fact) because she was so inflammatory on Facebook - would want to openly debate me on anything related to religion. And for the record, I am not one of those people who regularly post pithy little "Jesus statements" on Facebook. I mean, she'd want to go to the mat with me if I posted something like, "God bless our troops." (And as the mother of three troops, I found her inflammatory comments doubly insulting.)
It's the internet, you're going to get some rude people there. I'm referring to face-to-face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,748 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Reputation: 63377
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It's the internet, you're going to get some rude people there. I'm referring to face-to-face.
Oh no - this was face to face as well. She's very militant. As bad as any bible thumping, fire and brimstone Baptist you could ever imagine - except she's hating on Jesus.

It's very irritating.

The sad thing is - she chose to cut herself off from her family (our family) - disappeared for years without any contact. I actually found her on MySpace about ten years ago and began reaching out to her. She's had a tragic life - much of it self inflicted. I loved her when we were growing up together and love her still. However, apparently a big part of her drama is that she cannot - WILL NOT - accept or give love from anyone who doesn't agree with her, and yet all the while she claims to be so tolerant of the beliefs of others. She truly can't see how hypocritical her stance is. She thinks she is enlightened and Christians are stuck in the Middle Ages. It's irritating because it creates a superiority complex that she simply can't hide.

After visiting her (seven hour drive), re-establishing the relationship, late night phone calls, doing my best to help her through several crises, etc (and not ONE TIME preaching to her or even bringing up my faith or religion because I knew how much animosity she has toward it and I didn't want to alienate her) I finally just got sick of her ongoing assaults on my belief system. I can see why she's had such heartache and alienation in her life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,502,359 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh no - this was face to face as well. She's very militant. As bad as any bible thumping, fire and brimstone Baptist you could ever imagine - except she's hating on Jesus.

It's very irritating.

The sad thing is - she chose to cut herself off from her family (our family) - disappeared for years without any contact. I actually found her on MySpace about ten years ago and began reaching out to her. She's had a tragic life - much of it self inflicted. I loved her when we were growing up together and love her still. However, apparently a big part of her drama is that she cannot - WILL NOT - accept or give love from anyone who doesn't agree with her, and yet all the while she claims to be so tolerant of the beliefs of others. She truly can't see how hypocritical her stance is. She thinks she is enlightened and Christians are stuck in the Middle Ages. It's irritating because it creates a superiority complex that she simply can't hide.

After visiting her (seven hour drive), re-establishing the relationship, late night phone calls, doing my best to help her through several crises, etc (and not ONE TIME preaching to her or even bringing up my faith or religion because I knew how much animosity she has toward it and I didn't want to alienate her) I finally just got sick of her ongoing assaults on my belief system. I can see why she's had such heartache and alienation in her life.
While that's sad and all it's not a representation of Atheists a like. The only thing Atheists have in common inherently is the lack of belief in a God. That's the only thing we would automatically agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
135 posts, read 146,293 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The major cities of the South should be fine. The Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Charlotte areas. Memphis, Birmingham, and Nashville might be a little resistant. Those areas between 100k-500k, do research. Under 100k stay away.
Good general advice. I would add also that the further into the suburbs or "exburbs" you move into these major cities (with some exceptions), the more "evangelical" it may feel - which is probably not what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 PM
 
1,110 posts, read 908,861 times
Reputation: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
While that's sad and all it's not a representation of Atheists a like. The only thing Atheists have in common inherently is the lack of belief in a God. That's the only thing we would automatically agree on.
Exactly. An extremely militant atheist would be equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church. I have seen both Christians attack atheists and atheists attack Christians. The latter can be seen in higher frequency in younger crowds and on college campuses. I even watched a friend blame all his life troubles and every single bad event in history on religion. Atheists don't agree on everything and neither do people of any religion. But getting in someone else's face is just gonna create unnecessary and very avoidable problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top