Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's the Bible Belt. My own state is about 54% Protestant. Last time I checked, Gallup ranked it the 6th most religious state in the US.

If OP were inquiring about relocating as a vegetarian, I would not advise him to move to a "beef belt."

I would keep looking.
Southern states are slowly but surely turning around especially in some areas. But of course, the south resists change and is slower than any other region so you pick your battles.

If you want to live in the south, pick city or just outside city areas or nearby suburbs... you're much more likely to be accepted there.

Good example, don't move to Lakeland, FL...Move to Clearwater, FL. Don't move to Catawba, NC -- Move to Charlotte, NC

Safe-ish zones can be found. But you'll have greater success outside of the south of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 22,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Yes, atheism is generally looked down upon in the South.

Most people (and institutions) in the South are religious. Be prepared to see churches everywhere and people being very public about their faith.

Most people will have a live and let live attitude. Some people will invite you to their church (because helping to save your soul is the kindest act they can offer). Militant atheism is despised, for example atheists who complain about prayers at football games or public meetings are regarded as intolerant interlopers.

The manner in which you posed your question and the manner in which you responded to Wmsn4life (who is a great resource for info) leads me to believe that you would be fine here.
Couldn't hope for a better answer. Thank you very much. My fear is indeed not that I'll be chased through town by an angry mob, but more that people will try to save my soul (just like you responded). While I do appreciate the gesture of people trying to do something nice for me- Maybe if I were born in the US I'd be religious myself, but where I come from religion is quickly dying out.

I do not know what militant atheism is, but by how you say it it sounds like an extreme form of atheism. Like I said, I could not care less if somebody is religious or not. I like to see churches and the culture associated with it, I just hope people will allow me to make my own choice.

Once again, thanks for the kind answer.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:26 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
I will chime in with Wmsn4Life and say that the south is very religious. I live in Tennessee and an atheist would be treated with respect and kindness here, but they still will be at odds with the values of the majority of people. What can an atheist expect here, IMO they would be questioned about it, invited to church, some would engage in debates, and of course Christian references and culture are everywhere. The atheist would have to tolerate this. While atheist would be treated well in most cases, this would not be the case if they attempt to force others to change. The kind of person who files lawsuits, protests the presence of Christianity would likely be made to feel uncomfortable very quickly. There is a great resentment of people who come here from somewhere else only to challenge the culture here. If an atheist chooses to move here they need to do it with the knowledge that their neighbors will be believing Christians, and that this fact will be evident everywhere. If the atheist is tolerant of this fact, and tolerates the questions and invites to church then they will do OK. This is a live and let live state. If the atheist is looking for a lot of like minded folks then I again agree with Wms4life, better to keep looking.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
This is why I would never fit in, in the South. I'm a hardcore, devout, militant in-your-face atheist. A GAY one, at that.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:48 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is why I would never fit in, in the South. I'm a hardcore, devout, militant in-your-face atheist. A GAY one, at that.
I resist the temptation to call people out on lots of stuff including religious claims. Just the other day a woman at work spoke of random conspiracies and I just love to talk to conspiracy theorists LOL

More power to ya brother.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:38 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If an atheist chooses to move here they need to do it with the knowledge that their neighbors will be believing Christians, and that this fact will be evident everywhere. If the atheist is tolerant of this fact, and tolerates the questions and invites to church then they will do OK. This is a live and let live state.
Very much this. I'm atheist, sometimes the social events I'm invited to are held at a church or church sponsored in some way. Sometimes there are prayers. I don't mind, they don't force me to participate nor make me feel awkward for not doing so. They do their thing, I do mine, it's all good.
I've had exactly one visiting group invite me to church since I've moved here, I run into the occasional believer who feels it's their duty to leave religious tracts everywhere they go, you know the ones who leave a Bible verse instead of a tip! (but hey, we had those in the midwest too). And sometimes I hear "have a blessed day". instead of "have a good day" It's not a big deal, nor particularly offensive unless you decide to view it that way.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:40 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
The major cities of the South should be fine. The Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Charlotte areas. Memphis, Birmingham, and Nashville might be a little resistant. Those areas between 100k-500k, do research. Under 100k stay away.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,558 times
If you want a conservative yet irreligious atmosphere, perhaps Arizona would work.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If you want a conservative yet irreligious atmosphere, perhaps Arizona would work.
Arizona is not a Southern state.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:00 PM

11 posts, read 22,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Isn't Arizona south-west?

I've been in Arizona before. I liked it, however the dessert isn't something where I like to live. You see, I love green. Also, I think it is way too hot there (100F for 4 months straight) and cities like Phoenix are very destructive to the earth.

Tennessee seems great to me because it's a beautiful state. When I was there the people were also so friendly. Kindness is something that brightens my day. Also, please note that I am not conservative. Far from it, actually. I come from where health care is required by law & marijuana is completely legal. But there are lots of liberals in the south aren't there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.