U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your FAVORITE city?
Round Rock, Texas 4 6.90%
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 6 10.34%
Temple, Texas 1 1.72%
Lincoln, Neb. 4 6.90%
Norman, Okla. 2 3.45%
Durham, N.C. 14 24.14%
Denton, Texas 1 1.72%
St. George, Utah 4 6.90%
Corpus Christi, Texas 3 5.17%
None 15 25.86%
Don't know 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:06 AM

233 posts, read 281,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Agreed. Denton is the hidden gem of the DFW metroplex. Kind of a mini-Austin, minus the high COL, elitist mentality, and uber-pretentiousness. Sort of like how Austin was before it got overhyped, but also it's own thing. Definitely my favorite part of the metroplex.

I doubt too many people outside of Texas even know about Denton.
I always enjoyed the area too. Call me crazy but I also really like that area between Forth Worth and Denton (West of I-35W, much less developed than East of I-35W) ... that ranch within the city feeling you can only get in Texas. However, I think that area North of town is still growing very rapidly - it was the perfect size around ten years ago. (I have close friends right in that area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,938 times
I have lots of friends in/from Denton - it's got a bit of culture due to the great music program at the university, but most people I know moved eventually to DFW or Austin. It seems to be a good place to go to college or be young, but there isn't much to do there ultimately. It's a small town!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,200 times
Default Naturally, the better living is in Red states!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
All Red States? Seems just a bit skewed.
OH Jeeze Edith.....
Don'tcha have the cognitive skills to comprehend that Republican/Conservative states and cities have a more restrained sensibility with regards to their taxpayer's hard earned money? OPEN YOUR MIND.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Just a short list of other cities that would fit this list:

Pittsburgh, PA
Buffalo, NY
Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
I have family in N. Ky, across the Ohio R. from Cinci (what they call it) and they WILL NOT be in that city after 5:00 P.M. That should tell you plenty.

But I have to mention, we went to the most incredible late summer Blues/R&B music festival in Cinci one August - Just an incredible line-up of talent, plus delicious food booths and artisan beers....the city also has some amazing historical buildings and areas like the oldest continuous outdoor Market in the U.S.

Back to the cost of living thing, it is NOT inexpensive to live in that area. On either side of the river. Everything is high there, especially property tax. For the condition of the streets, etc. I am highly suspicious of just where the people's taxes go back there.....

Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Default Very well put

Not trying to digress but, LOL. "...elitist mentality, and uber-pretentiousness..." You really made me smile with that. Very good description of, um, certain lost voters in our country today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or