U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 AM

13,407 posts, read 17,925,493 times

Advertisements

Their problem. Not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,423,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
When I told a few of my friends in SoCal I was moving to Seattle, they said "I'm sorry". Why would you be sorry for a choice that I'm making? It may be because I look young for my age so they assumed I was being dragged here by my parents.
I also got people saying things "but it's rainy and cold", yeah, maybe that's why I like it. Ever think of that?
Well, that's SoCal for ya.

I worked for years with an Orange County company, and spent a lot of time from the border through Santa Barbara. I was constantly asked why I lived in Wisconsin. I mean, all the time. Every single visit, this would come up. "You don't belong there. Move here." "I couldn't live anywhere else, I'd miss The Liiiifestyle." Just gross. It got to the point where people would push to hire me away and departments would try moving assets so they could pay me enough to make it worthwhile for me to move and "get me out of there." Even though I'd repeatedly stated that I loved Wisconsin and wasn't moving.

The same thing happened a few years earlier during the dot.com boom, people thought everyone in the state would move there at the drop of a hat. This is the only time I've ever experienced this, outside of cold weather comments from pretty much everywhere. NYC believes it's the center of the universe, too, but doesn't feel that everyone else in the world would move there if they "could."

Old 09-04-2014, 09:42 AM

5,307 posts, read 3,684,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I was "that damn Yankee" when I moved to the South as a teenager, and I wasn't even the stereotypical overbearing person from the North either. It didn't help that I was from a city that the United States basically threw away during my childhood.
I spent a little time in NJ and I heard the same thing, except it was Southern hick, red neck, etc.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:48 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,056,487 times
I've been made fun of for wanting to stay where I'm from.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 AM

6,028 posts, read 6,418,981 times
I grew up in Northwest Indiana and when people found out I was moving to SoCal some of the negative things people said were "please don't turn into a pretentious d-bag" and "good luck with those earthquakes."

When I moved from SoCal to Kansas City I heard things like "say hi to Dorothy and Toto" and "why on earth would you move THERE?" The most irritating thing though was that a ton of people thought Kansas City was in Kansas.

But most people were supportive of my decisions.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM

10,656 posts, read 14,444,179 times
Get a better class of 'friends', hopefully some that are less ignorant.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:07 AM

10,570 posts, read 13,193,937 times
Definitely not.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:30 AM

11,149 posts, read 14,205,701 times
When I moved back to CT from NYC, some of my friends looked down upon me for choosing a more suburban lifestyle over urbanity. As if it's WRONG to prefer a suburban lifestyle in your 20's.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM

173 posts, read 198,457 times
Yup. I'm planning on moving from the south due to heart/fainting issues i'm having from the heat. When I mentioned Washington my dad said "good luck with those damn liberals." When I mentioned Minneapolis, everyone says "it's too damn cold"....um, ok but they have one of the lowest costs of living and highest salaries for a major U.S. city. Midwest is "still too hot" according to my dad. Ok, where am I supposed to live then?!?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:42 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,422,975 times
People from NYC, Boston, and a few other places used to make fun of the fact that I lived in Rochester, NY; but I was already plotting to get out of there years before that, so I joined in on the mocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or