U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:44 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,462,157 times

Advertisements

Picked on, no. But when I was moving to Minnesota from another part of the country people kept asking why I would possibly want to move to Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Minneapolis seems like a nice place to live, but when I'm there, I just feel so....short. Everyone is so damn tall there!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:12 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Oh yes, by the people who, when I told them I was relocating from Portland, OR to Cleveland couldn't figure out why I wasn't willing to live like a pauper for the privilege of residing in Portland as opposed to living very comfortably and happy in Cleveland Heights. There is nothing I can't find here I had when I was living there and I can afford a lot more. Add to that the medical care I am receiving for a rare illness is so much better.

Now I have to say that most of my Portland friends and acquaintances understood my purpose in relocation and were very supportive of my reasons for moving. It was mostly the ignoramuses who had never either been to either Portland or Cleveland and knew them only by reputation who couldn't believe I was leaving the much touted "City of Nirvana" to move to "The City of Doom and Gloom."

Likewise, when I moved to Portland from Chicago back in the late 70's before all the lemmings began flocking there, everyone told me I was crazy. How times change.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh yes, by the people who, when I told them I was relocating from Portland, OR to Cleveland couldn't figure out why I wasn't willing to live like a pauper for the privilege of residing in Portland as opposed to living very comfortably and happy in Cleveland Heights. There is nothing I can't find here I had when I was living there and I can afford a lot more. Add to that the medical care I am receiving for a rare illness is so much better.

Now I have to say that most of my Portland friends and acquaintances understood my purpose in relocation and were very supportive of my reasons for moving. It was mostly the ignoramuses who had never either been to either Portland or Cleveland and knew them only by reputation who couldn't believe I was leaving the much touted "City of Nirvana" to move to "The City of Doom and Gloom."

Likewise, when I moved to Portland from Chicago back in the late 70's before all the lemmings began flocking there, everyone told me I was crazy. How times change.
I don't like places with a large hipster or pretentious liberal prevalence. Not that I'm conservative either, but I just find pretentious liberalism annoying. Places like Portland OR, Austin TX, Burlington VT, San Francisco CA, etc.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,870,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
When I told a few of my friends in SoCal I was moving to Seattle, they said "I'm sorry". Why would you be sorry for a choice that I'm making? It may be because I look young for my age so they assumed I was being dragged here by my parents.
I also got people saying things "but it's rainy and cold", yeah, maybe that's why I like it. Ever think of that?
Weird. When I tell people here in Seattle that I want to move to SoCal, they roll their eyes and assume I'm trying to be a party girl. "But everyone down there is superficial and dumb, why would you?"

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,831,308 times
When I told friends in WI I was moving to AL, the first reaction was always and incredulous "Why?". Some of them were the types who had never lived anywhere else.

WI wasn't for me. I like spicy food and winters where it isn't -70F with windchill. It was also strangely liberal (yuck).

Sweet Home Alabama.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
When I said I was moving to Arizona I heard it all! I heard things like "why would you want to live amongst retirees" and "arent you afraid of scorpions" and "watch out for rattlesnakes under your home" and "why would you want to live somewhere where its over 100 degrees for 5 months of the year?" Didnt affect my decision to move here, not in the slightest bit.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 AM

3,957 posts, read 3,489,082 times
I've moved different places for different reasons, but i'm that type of person who knows what I want to do and I like what I like. If anyone ever questioned my decision to move to Kentucky per say, I turn into a kind of cocky sales person because where ever I live is friggen fantastic! They are crazy for not wanting to go to there

The truth of the answer was work. But it turns out Louisville is cool as hell anyway, and since my fabulous ass is now here well....bonus!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Some of us are also picked on for not choosing where we live. For example, I live in CT, which is a place that almost no one likes or cares about. But I never chose to grow up here...it just happened that way and I'm still rooted here at the age of 30. People have repeatedly made fun of me for still living here, especially on these forums. It's probably the most hated state on City-Data forums.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Friends in VA picked on my decision to move to "Joyzee." NJ has an image problem for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or