U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,988,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Friends in VA picked on my decision to move to "Joyzee." NJ has an image problem for sure.
People who say "Joyzee" deserve slapped.

Reminds me of that awful commercial by a fast-food chain that combined a Philly cheesesteak and a hamburger together, and the cooks put on some God-awful and completely inaccurate imitation of a Philadelphia accent: "This giye wants a cheesesteak and a boyguh!"

Not everybody in the coastal Mid-Atlantic speaks like Bugs Bunny. For that matter, not everybody in the South speaks like Foghorn Leghorn, or that rural sheriff on Meet The Fockers, for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Some of us are also picked on for not choosing where we live. For example, I live in CT, which is a place that almost no one likes or cares about. But I never chose to grow up here...it just happened that way and I'm still rooted here at the age of 30. People have repeatedly made fun of me for still living here, especially on these forums. It's probably the most hated state on City-Data forums.
Yeah right. There are any number of "what's your least favorite state?" threads to sample here. I see very little CT-bashing compared to say, Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Jersey, or even California. Connecticut is hardly ever even brought up in these forums, and when it is, it's usually 50-50 positive/negative from what I've seen. Please.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM

98 posts, read 87,846 times
im originally from new york and went to high school in texas.

the people in new york when i left, " Good luck with those rednecks and cowboys."

the people in texas when i got there. "welcome to the best state in the country yankee, texas is awesome, did i mention how great texas is"

okay i made up that texas part, but seriously ive never seen so much state pride as they have in texas.

but in reality most of texas cities are just like any other cities.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Lately my friends are basically making fun of me for virtually any place that I consider living in. Whether it's Philly, CT, or the Midwest, or whatever. They all have reasons such as "it's ghetto," or "it's boring," or "it's culture shock."

Have YOU ever been made fun of by others based on your desired place of choice to live in? How do you cope with this?
You should try saying you'd be interested in living in Detroit. Like the actual city.

If people understand that you mean the Downtown/Midtown area, they're often okay with that. But a lot of people will look at you like you're nuts.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,505,281 times
Why worry about what ignorant people say about where you choose to live? It is filled with wonderful places. North, South, East, and West. Ignorant people need to get an education on what this country is about. I am sick and tired of the stupid stereotypes of certain areas.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Do internet trolls or ignorants who frequently bash your state count?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,408,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notaproblem39 View Post
im originally from new york and went to high school in texas.

the people in new york when i left, " Good luck with those rednecks and cowboys."

the people in texas when i got there. "welcome to the best state in the country yankee, texas is awesome, did i mention how great texas is"

okay i made up that texas part, but seriously ive never seen so much state pride as they have in texas.

but in reality most of texas cities are just like any other cities.
I noticed the same thing in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or