U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumCat View Post
I wouldn't know as I have lived south my whole life. But all you hear from southern weather lovers here is that how blessed we are to have "better" weather because we don't need to shovel snow like those up in north.

But do you really need to though shovel snow there? I would assume those who live in apartments are automatically free of that. But does it really matter is the rest does it or not? What purpose does it serve? Does anything of significance really happen if you don"t?
you can pick up a second-hand wheel chair at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for about $15, Bring it outside and sit down in it with a cheap snow shovel (and a bottle of schnapps hidden under your blanket) and make a few pitiful stabs at the snow while you wait for the neighbors to come rushing over to dig you out. Sneak out the back later when you want to go somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM

44 posts, read 66,873 times
lets say you dont shovel the walkway to your front door, you keep walking over the snow and it compacts. then the weather warms slightly through the day, but drops back down over night and stays down. youre then left with an ice walkway and its not fun...ask me how i know.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM

766 posts, read 1,158,031 times
If I don't shovel the snow, after every snowfall, then eventually it's going to get deeper and deeper, and deeper.... and how the heck am I going to open the front door, back door, or garage door?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:30 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Everyone I know in all different areas of the state uses salt - why am I the only one to mention this?

If your walk ices up, which happens even if you clear it immediately due to freezing/unfreezing, you salt and use your shovel (if it's not too cold) or chopper/chipper to clear it again.
True-I salt the sidewalk and of course the steps up to my porch. It does work well but can damage the pavement and soil.

Another thing not mentioned-and this may just be a Philly thing-but people often block the parking spots they dig out with chairs and cones. It can be quite difficult to get a parking spot if you don't have one saved-pretty illegal but done regardless.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:19 PM

5,950 posts, read 7,318,149 times
You can get cited in my city if you don't clear the snow from your sidewalk and I the garbage pickup will not pick up your garbage if your sidewalks are in bad condition.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,193,619 times
I live in an apartment and haven't had to shovel snow in the five years I've lived there.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
I wouldn't know as I have lived south my whole life. But all you hear from southern weather lovers here is that how blessed we are to have "better" weather because we don't need to shovel snow like those up in north.

But do you really need to though shovel snow there? I would assume those who live in apartments are automatically free of that. But does it really matter is the rest does it or not? What purpose does it serve? Does anything of significance really happen if you don"t?

If you want to get around easier yes you do, especially if there is ice under the snow.
If you want to drive to work the days it snows yes it needs to be moved out of the way.
If you want a place to actually park at the grocery, yes it needs to be moved out of the way.

Also, don't assume that all rentals or apartment complexes have the snow removed for the tenants, not all of them do and some of those that do have a terrible company doing the removal and it isn't done properly or completely.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 PM

5,654 posts, read 4,877,099 times
First of all learn how to drive in snow and learn to respect it .It does not respect any one.
Have learn to mount and use tire chains .
They go on the "drive wheels"
If you are parking your car out side ,put a tarp over it . I use a tarp and a portable light using a rough service bulb and mount it in the engine area so it doesn't interfere with the engine or steering. I have an extension cord that reaches it from the house and can see if the light is on at night . I stuff some of the tarp in the door jamb so the wind doesn't blow it away or get stolen.
The windows stay frost free and all the locks work . it also keeps people from snooping in the car while it's parked in public.
The tarp can also be used to lay on while installing the chains ,unless you like laying in slush , it's your choice.
In the event your stranded the tarp can go over the car preserving the little heat you may have left. Never cover up the exhaust pipe area at any time. nor let snow build up over it.
Carbon monoxide will kill you.
The great thing about using the tarp is clearing the snow off .
Once the tarp is freed from the door jambs it will slide right off .
I usually pull it to the side so I'm not having to drive over it. or re shovel . I then fold it and put it under the seat or i the trunk and off I go, while every one else is still shoveling off their car, and scraping off their windshields.
Keep a shovel in the car. as well as emergency gear in the event you must walk or are stranded . food liquids that don't easily freeze Gatorade comes to mind .preparations for melting snow, for water ,
Do not eat snow for water, during a survival event ,
It will drop your core temperature and you suffer hypothermia .
Extra boots and sox and clothing, mittens and gloves and blankets or sleeping bag and first aid kit, and learn how to use it . Waiting till after the accident is not time to read the book.
Tow rope is also great asset both for your self and others .
I know this is a lot of stuff, but that's the kind a guy I am.
This is not just a list; this is gear I actually used regularly during the winter living in the mountains.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,411,925 times
Removing snow is like lawn mowing. It has to be done, but if you can afford it, you pay to have someone else do it.

When I lived in the KC area, the neighborhood kids would go down the street and ask to pay to shovel the driveways. For $5 they would clean it up, that's not too bad.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:03 PM

12,642 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:

Does anything of significance really happen if you don't?

Well, at the least you'll have a giant ice skating rink on all surfaces you haven't shoveled after the first night... then during the day, when the sun's out, it'll slowly start to drip and melt, then once night comes it freezes over again...

So yeah I suggest to avoid that alone that you shovel. I shovel my stairs, front and back, and dig out my cars a bit then use a snow blower for my driveway. I actually don't mind shoveling. If there's only a couple inches of snow I'll shovel the whole driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.