U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
Snow blowers and plow trucks have cause much stress and anxiety about the future in the snow shovel community.
Speaking of which how well does plow work with other vehicles? Does it necessarily need to be trucks for effective use? I found places for example (like Nordic Plow) being advertised with other vehicles. How about just regular cars for that matter.

Also, do snow blowers and plow vehicles get the job done over shoveling?

Last edited by MuseumCat; 09-05-2014 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 PM

601 posts, read 713,632 times
Depends where you live. Shovel is fine for stairs and such, and to clean up after your snow blower or plow guy. I've seen plows on small trucks and even on ATVs. Never have seen one on a car. I've cleaned 3-4" of really fine powder off my driveway with a broom before..

Old 09-06-2014, 12:03 AM

233 posts, read 281,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumCat View Post
I wouldn't know as I have lived south my whole life. But all you hear from southern weather lovers here is that how blessed we are to have "better" weather because we don't need to shovel snow like those up in north.

But do you really need to though shovel snow there? I would assume those who live in apartments are automatically free of that. But does it really matter is the rest does it or not? What purpose does it serve? Does anything of significance really happen if you don"t?
Apartment, only if you do not have a car. If you live in a high-rise in Chicago and only walk, then you are probably going to be shovel free ...

... however if you park on a street, or in an apartment parking lot, you NEED a shovel in your trunk as you will get PLOWED in. So many times in apartments, or airports was my car surrounded by 3 feet of snow that I had to shovel out because the parking lot was plowed around me... what convenience that is.

It's one of my favorite workouts. Just don't be a dweeb and under-dress! ...wear a parka that goes down to your knees, wear gloves, and at least wear a headband or stocking cap, better yet a face mask.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:29 AM

13,424 posts, read 16,998,794 times
In most cities that get considerable amounts of snow, it's a law that you must clear your front walk and sidewalk. If you want to get your car out of the driveway to get to work, that's on you.

The problem is, many of the snow plows actually push (or blow) the snow onto private property or the sidewalk / driveways, making it all the worse to dig out from under. A few inches of snow overnight can turn into a mound of snow a foot or more higher by morning, thanks to the damn plows.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:12 PM

35 posts, read 38,660 times
uh yea. Dumb question, if we don't shovel the snow will pile up...?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,740,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseumCat View Post
Speaking of which how well does plow work with other vehicles? Does it necessarily need to be trucks for effective use? I found places for example (like Nordic Plow) being advertised with other vehicles. How about just regular cars for that matter.

Also, do snow blowers and plow vehicles get the job done over shoveling?
Yes they do!

Anyone who owns a pickup truck with a snow plow are borderline celebrities where i live.

and NO a snow plow won't work on a regular car.

but most just buy a cheap snow blower

Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 PM

9,887 posts, read 21,170,268 times
I live in the upper reaches of the Mid South and I have to shovel snow occasionally and sweep the snow off my car often in the winter. It snows a good bit into Tennessee and Virginia.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:08 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,538,210 times
A lot of Jeep Wranglers and pickup trucks in my area have plows attached in the winter. When I was looking to buy a Jeep not too long ago, I found someone selling one with the plow included. They said they mainly used the Jeep for plowing their own property and others'.

My town is responsible for plowing streets and sidewalks downtown, but residents are in charge of their own properties. Plows can be annoying though. They may come infrequently, especially on quiet streets, and they often plow the snow right back into your driveway, so as it's still snowing you're always down at the end of your driveway shoveling snow away that the plow pushed back onto your property. This is of course if you want to be ahead of the snow so when it's over you have less to clean up.

Using a snow blower is definitely much easier, especially for wet, heavier snow. We've had storms, though, that have brought 6+ inches of light fluffy powder, which flies into the air like dust when you shovel it and is pretty hassle-free. I don't mind shoveling my driveway when it's that type of snow but if it's heavy, it's tough to shovel. You really do feel it in your back and arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.