U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 AM

13 posts, read 12,952 times

Advertisements

So here's the dealio. I've lived in the same area for 34 years. It's a lovely, low crime, family friendly area, but I am tired of seeing the same streets and buildings my whole existence. I have an online job and can work anywhere in the U.S. with an Internet connection. My husband has an MBA from a top-tier university, but was unlucky enough to graduate in 2009 when no one was hiring, and so has never been able to secure a job he likes or that pays decently. (Every company around here seems to either want someone with lots of experience or a new graduate.) He currently works in retail management.

I'd like to relocate to a place with a low cost of living where I could be the only breadwinner, and my husband would be free to search for a job that he would like. We've got three young kids, so good schools and low crime are necessities. Also, warm weather, amusement parks, aquariums, museums, historical sites, et cetera, within an hour or two would be nice. Back East or the South would be my top options. We'd need to rent, and would like a 3-bedroom for around $1200/mo. or less.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 05:52 AM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
I'd recommend the Jacksonville, FL area and specifically the suburb of Orange Park. It has one of the better school districts in the state (#15 out of 67) with several top tier schools to choose from and many nice housing options in those areas within your budget. The NW side off of Argyle Forest Blvd (south side) has a lot of nice choices for rental homes. Jacksonville was the first city in Florida to recover from the recession/housing crash and has a diverse, somewhat healthy job market which should offer some decent options for your husband. The climate while not tropical is fairly warm most of the year, though can get chilly in January and February with a few freezes. There is plenty to do in the area for recreation beginning with the obvious beach activities as well as a very nice zoo, museums, parks, etc and about a two hour drive to Disney, Universal Studios and Sea World for day trips or overnights.

http://www.realtor.com/apartments/Or...luxury?pgsz=50
Places To Go | Jax4Kids

Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 PM

That does sound pretty great. I was thinking Florida might be a nice option, but didn't know where to start. Thank you!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM

56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
I'd say that cities within a reasonable drive to the coast would work too(i.e.-Charleston SC, Raleigh NC, Richmond and the Tidewater area in VA, Savannah GA, etc.).

Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 PM

We are thinking of just taking a week off work soon and getting and the car and driving to look at potential places to live. We like Florida, South and North Carolina, maybe Louisiana or Texas? Any other ideas of specific cities with lower costs of living, low crime, and economically stable where a inexperienced MBA could get a job?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 AM

Besides Jacksonville, I would add Charlotte to your list. The city is beginning to boom again after the Recession and will in my opinion offer many job options for your husband as well as yourself. Charlotte has a ton to offer in terms of activities in close proximity and is an easy 45 minute drive to beautiful Lake Norman which has swimming areas and water sports, as well as the NC mountains which are just under two hours away. It's a three hour drive to the nearest beach, Myrtle Beach SC. For places to live, check out the south side (just north of the SC border) and neighborhoods like Ballantyne, Pineville and Matthews which have excellent public schools and a safe/family-friendly environment.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loca...th-rise/njLsM/

Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,051,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK488 View Post
We are thinking of just taking a week off work soon and getting and the car and driving to look at potential places to live. We like Florida, South and North Carolina, maybe Louisiana or Texas? Any other ideas of specific cities with lower costs of living, low crime, and economically stable where a inexperienced MBA could get a job?
If your husband wants to be a gainfully employed MBA, you should probably scratch Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina off your list. If not, your husband will most likely be stuck in a predicament similar to the one he's in where you're currently living (e.g., retail or hospitality management). All of those states have service-oriented economies with a very limited corporate presence -- they're definitely NOT places for upwardly mobile MBA's.

Remember, a lower COL is almost invariably accompanied by a generally lackluster economy, high crime, bad weather, under-performing K-12 schools, a poorly educated populace, lowbrow culture, or all of the above.

If North Carolina and Texas are on your radar, I'd look into Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, and Raleigh, for starters.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If your husband wants to be a gainfully employed MBA, you should probably scratch Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina off your list. If not, your husband will most likely be stuck in a predicament similar to the one he's in where you're currently living (e.g., retail or hospitality management). All of those states have service-oriented economies with a very limited corporate presence -- they're definitely NOT places for upwardly mobile MBA's.
Actually that's incorrect. Jacksonville has a very diverse economy with much less tourism focus than other cities in Florida. There are three Fortune 500 companies based in Jacksonville ( CSX, Fidelity National Financial and Fidelity National Information Services), umpteen other large companies are based in Jacksonville as well (EverBank, Florida Blue Cross-Blue Shield, Gate Petroleum, Nemours Foundation, Rayonier, Saft Group, Vistakon (Acuvue products), Tree of Life (health food products), Associated Tennis Professionals (ATP), Professional Golf Association (PGA) as well as major offices for CB Richard Ellis, Citibank, Convergys, DeutscheBank, Norfolk Southern and Wells Fargo to name a few.

Forbes: Jacksonville #2 for tech job growth - Florida Technology Journal

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 AM

645 posts, read 611,763 times
You might want to look into DFW area. But where are you moving from?? It might well be... where you currently live is the best option!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:57 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,397,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

Remember, a lower COL is almost invariably accompanied by a generally lackluster economy, high crime, bad weather, under-performing K-12 schools, a poorly educated populace, lowbrow culture, or all of the above.

If North Carolina and Texas are on your radar, I'd look into Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, and Raleigh, for starters.

^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself. Texas and North Carolina are WINNING nowadays! tons of postitives and very little negatives. Visit both perhaps, and reach out to family and college friends who might be there and get the scoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.