U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times

Advertisements

However, west of those populated areas, it feels western.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM

233 posts, read 281,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
However, west of those populated areas, it feels western.
Agreed - and I think it's safe to say that it is culturally Western once you are West of areas like Eastern Kansas, Eastern North Dakota, etc... once you get to the arid regions - because if the farming is not heavily irrigated, it is much more focused on ranching culture, which is very much not traditionally Midwestern.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

To compare with the population density map:

From the western climate center:

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/climate-maps/

Transition to west happens around the 25" precipitation line (a bit more rain needed to prevent aridity in the south, a bit less in the north). However, the western parts of the Corn Belt may be Midwestern but to some from the northeast there's not much eastern about them. Farmland to the horizon on a flat plain is different from landscapes in the east. But if I had to separate the US into east and west, I'd break it at somewhere close to that precipitation line, which also follows a drop off in rural population densities.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,319,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
But instead if they had saved more public lands in these states, for instance say a couple Adirondack type areas stretching from western Kansas north to the Dakotas, filled with free roaming buffalo, antelope, elk, and wild horses etc., patrolled by American Indian rangers, it would totally change our perception of these states.
There was a big push for this very thing in the late 80s. The concept was called the Buffalo Commons. Seems far-fetched, but when the "farmers" finally suck the Ogalalla Aquifer dry, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened in a kind of de-facto way.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:35 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,908 times
Idk how you could visit western ND/SD/NE/KS and think "this has more in common with Ohio than Wyoming." The closest major metro to Rapid City is Denver, and the Black Hills extend into Wyoming. Both the North and South Dakota Badlands are decidedly Western terrain, unlike anything you would ever find east of the Missouri River.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:55 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Idk how you could visit western ND/SD/NE/KS and think "this has more in common with Ohio than Wyoming." The closest major metro to Rapid City is Denver, and the Black Hills extend into Wyoming. Both the North and South Dakota Badlands are decidedly Western terrain, unlike anything you would ever find east of the Missouri River.
Nobody who has actually visited this area would make that comment. Rapid City has more in common with Wyoming than it does Sioux Falls, even.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,639,162 times
I would say St Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis feel mostly eastern, the farther you go west, the more western it feels. I grew up splitting time between Topeka and Hays Ks and they both have different vibes. Hays is nearly as western as any city in Wyoming or Montana. Topeka starts to feel eastern, but I'd say is in the transition area. Lots of western cultural influence and some eastern influence. I think if you asked most people in the Ks, ne, Dakota regions they would call themselves western before eastern. But we get influence from everywhere, west, east, south, and north.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:45 PM

233 posts, read 281,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I don't think anyone visits those touristy western, ranch influenced parts of those states and says that.

However, I think the majority of residents that reside in those states, reside in the Eastern third, or even QUARTER of those states - and are culturally more inclined to the "Eastern Half" of the country, moreso the greater Midwest - without forgetting the empty swath of dry that brings the tourists to the western part of their states.

Here are some photos of the lush populated areas with the Midwestern (Midwestern being considered eastern half of the country...)
Lawrence, KS

Notre Dame Convent, Omaha, NE

Sioux Falls, SD

Home in Fargo, ND Northside Neighborhood

Here are some photos of the Western parts of the Great Plains states, which have less of a cultural influence on the everyday people in said states population majority, but seem to be more influential on the nation's perception of these places as a whole..

Rapid City Area

Meade KS

Scottsbluff, NE

Old 09-07-2014, 03:01 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,908 times
I don't disagree, I'm just saying there's nothing eastern about the western halves of any of these states.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM

It's hard to think of those spots in the eastern parts of the states as Eastern coming from the Northeast. I know people are using eastern to mean "not western" but they're rather different from places typically referred to as eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.