U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:34 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times

Advertisements

Are there certain regions, cities or any places within the U.S. that you feel like you simply fit in naturally and best? Likewise, are there certain places where you feel like you just don't fit in at all?

I had a friend who was born and raised in Indianapolis and he moved to central CT for work, after college. After about 7 years, he moved back to Indianapolis and told me that he "felt like he never fit in, in CT." This is just an example.

For me, I would say that I feel comfortable with almost anywhere in the BosWash Corridor, Florida (other than the panhandle), and certain places out West, such as Albuquerque, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Maybe parts of CA. But that's it. Everywhere else would require some substantial adjustment.

You?

Last edited by nep321; 09-04-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:45 AM

17,341 posts, read 19,609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are there certain regions, cities or any places within the U.S. that you feel like you simply fit in naturally and best?
That's pretty easy for me:

1. New York City metro area

2. Washington DC metro area.

The pace, the vibe, the attitudes and the lifestyle feel like a perfect fit.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:50 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,510,387 times
Quote:
Are there certain regions, cities or any places within the U.S. that you feel like you simply fit in naturally and best? Likewise, are there certain places where you feel like you just don't fit in at all?

I had a friend who was born and raised in Indianapolis and he moved to central CT for work, after college. After about 7 years, he moved back to Indianapolis and told me that he "felt like he never fit in, in CT." This is just an example.

For me, I would say that I feel comfortable with almost anywhere in the BosWash Corridor, Florida (other than the panhandle), and certain places out West, such as Albuquerque and Las Vegas. But that's it. Everywhere else would require some substantial adjustment.

You?
I fit in best where people are in your face, politically lilberal / democratic, fast paced and make awesome food.

And back to the northeast I shall go! ;-)

Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM

45,154 posts, read 36,355,190 times
I fit in best in two regions (which overlap each other to some extent) - the Mid Atlantic and the South. I have LEARNED to fit in very nicely (and to appreciate) Texas very much but Texas has been an acquired taste for me - sort of like sashimi or merlot. I was taken aback at first but now I love it.

I fit in best where people are friendly and laid back - where they talk with other people in the check out line. One thing that really resonates with me about Texas (as I've gotten older and wiser and more tolerant of others, and yet more put out with government) is that independent sort of spirit coupled with a strong work ethic. When I was younger and more idealistic (and more strident in my beliefs before time and experience mellowed me) I wouldn't have fit in as well here, but now it fits me like a glove.

I like the faster pace of the Mid Atlantic region, coupled with the GREAT beaches and culture closely tied to the coast. Those are two things I miss about that region in particular but I know I can always go visit!

I like many things about other regions but I don't feel that pull or that affinity to them like I do to the south and mid Atlantic regions.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:09 AM

3,336 posts, read 4,008,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I fit in best where people are in your face, politically lilberal / democratic, fast paced and make awesome food.

And back to the northeast I shall go! ;-)
Ditto this for me and going back to Chicago. I'm also considering New York City or Seattle.

I lived in Atlanta many years and didn't like it. Was so glad to finally leave there. I had great friends there but I felt like the city just wasn't me. I'm in Texas now, and while I ironically like it better than Georgia, I don't think this is some place where I want to put down roots.

Everyone is very nice and friendly here, but as a single woman who is also liberal, I don't think this will be a good place for me socially in the long run, as it seems everyone I meet is married, engaged or in long-term relationships and/or have small children and are very religious. I am religious (meaning I actively practice my faith) but I am not Christian, so I feel like I don't belong here.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 AM

10,569 posts, read 13,149,753 times
Big, liberal cities are where I fit best. In general, suburbs make me squeemish and very paranoid. I don't fit in with most suburbanites.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I fit in best in two regions (which overlap each other to some extent) - the Mid Atlantic and the South. I have LEARNED to fit in very nicely (and to appreciate) Texas very much but Texas has been an acquired taste for me - sort of like sashimi or merlot. I was taken aback at first but now I love it.

I fit in best where people are friendly and laid back - where they talk with other people in the check out line. One thing that really resonates with me about Texas (as I've gotten older and wiser and more tolerant of others, and yet more put out with government) is that independent sort of spirit coupled with a strong work ethic. When I was younger and more idealistic (and more strident in my beliefs before time and experience mellowed me) I wouldn't have fit in as well here, but now it fits me like a glove.

I like the faster pace of the Mid Atlantic region, coupled with the GREAT beaches and culture closely tied to the coast. Those are two things I miss about that region in particular but I know I can always go visit!

I like many things about other regions but I don't feel that pull or that affinity to them like I do to the south and mid Atlantic regions.
Didn't you say that you were planning a visit to New England soon, with your husband or something?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 PM

45,154 posts, read 36,355,190 times
Quote:
Didn't you say that you were planning a visit to New England soon, with your husband or something?
Yes, that's our vacation plan for next year for our tenth anniversary. I can hardly wait!

I find that places where my ancestors came from pull at me, probably because I am very into history. Some of my earliest ancestors settled in Salem, MA and were actually on both sides of the Salem witch trials. Then they moved south into PA and the Yorktown and Williamsburg area of VA and stayed there for a long time. In the mid 1700s a branch of them moved to SC and then another branch (my branch ) moved from there to Arkansas and Texas in the early 1800s. Actually they were run out of town, which I think is pretty funny - and didn't stop running till they got to Arkansas, which was definitely the west in those days.

So my ancestors fought (on both sides) in the Revolutionary War, both sides in the Civil War (but predominately the Confederacy), and in the Texas Revolution as well. YEEEHAW!

But back to your question - yes, we'll be doing the New England thing about this time next year. We're very excited! When it gets closer to that date, I'll be picking the brains of CDers for ideas and suggestions!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,143,015 times
Texas and the South is definitely the area I fit in with most. In general fun culture and not as much pretense as in other places. The place I fit in the lease would probably be the Bay Area. Beautiful scenery, and there are nice people there, but also a lot of pretense. A lot of friends I have from the Bay Area that move here do tend to say that's a problem in social circles up there.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, that's our vacation plan for next year for our tenth anniversary. I can hardly wait!

I find that places where my ancestors came from pull at me, probably because I am very into history. Some of my earliest ancestors settled in Salem, MA and were actually on both sides of the Salem witch trials. Then they moved south into PA and the Yorktown and Williamsburg area of VA and stayed there for a long time. In the mid 1700s a branch of them moved to SC and then another branch (my branch ) moved from there to Arkansas and Texas in the early 1800s. Actually they were run out of town, which I think is pretty funny - and didn't stop running till they got to Arkansas, which was definitely the west in those days.

So my ancestors fought (on both sides) in the Revolutionary War, both sides in the Civil War (but predominately the Confederacy), and in the Texas Revolution as well. YEEEHAW!

But back to your question - yes, we'll be doing the New England thing about this time next year. We're very excited! When it gets closer to that date, I'll be picking the brains of CDers for ideas and suggestions!
Lol oh ok, that's nice!

I'm not sure what types of things you enjoy, but I would recommend Acadia National Park in Maine. It was the first national park in the U.S. and is supposedly beautiful as heck. I never been there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or