U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM

11,055 posts, read 4,860,550 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for the input so far. Addressing several points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Sounds like he doesn't really want to move.
He's adamant about us moving out of CA. Unfortunately the US is a very snowy country overall, except for the South, which he's not a fan of.

We were initially hopeful about Austin, but after we spent some time there recently, he couldn't tolerate the heat, thunderstorms and allergies.

I guess just Portland then? I really like Portland and Oregon nature in general. But I do think it'd be wise for us to have several possible choices....if that's even possible in this snowy country!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Eugene, Oregon only gets around 2.8 inches of snow a year. might be the best you'd do unless you lived somewhere on the coast, like Astoria.

There's virtually nowhere except for Southern California and South Florida that it absolutely never snows in the country. Of course, there are many more areas where snow is so rare/light that it melts on its own and no shovel is needed. I'm guessing shoveling is your husband's issue.
He's mainly concerned about safety issues with driving in snow. He doesn't like the cold that accompanies it, either. Or power outages from snowstorms, shoveling, etc.

He's from Long Island, born and raised. I'm from San Francisco. So to me, snow is a beautiful treat, because of memories of skiing and snowboarding with family and friends in North Lake Tahoe for a week each winter. To him, it's a dangerous hassle.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 09-04-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 02:54 PM

As for why we want out of CA...

I'm 24 and he's 29, and we're wanting to start a family soon. So we need a place that's a little more affordable, family-oriented, safe and small business friendly than CA affords.

Also, it'd be nice to be out when the Big Earthquake(s) hit...especially once we're rooted down with our future family.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Also, it'd be nice to be out when the Big Earthquake(s) hit...especially once we're rooted down with our future family.
Then you're looking in the wrong area:

"Against traditional thinking, it's not the San Andreas fault that could do the most damage to California. It's actually the Cascadia subduction zone. Now, scientists are trying to deliver a serious message to citizens: although the San Andreas fault is capable of producing The Big One, the Cascadia subduction zone, located off the coast of the Pacific Northwest, could produce The Really Big One."

314 years ago Sunday, a megathrust earthquake devastated the region … ready for another? - The Big Science Blog

California's Biggest Earthquake and Tsunami Threat: The Cascadia Subduction Zone - weather.com

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 09-04-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 03:20 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Try Costa Rica?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,913,870 times
Why does everyone not want to live in the South. I used to live in NY and MA before the so called most educated part of the country and they had a lot of ignorant people in the Northeast as well. The South really is not like Hollywood makes it out to be. People are just people everywhere you go.. we are all Americans. I do like the climate way better out West thou. The South does tend to have really hot and humid summers. Most of the South besides Florida has all four seasons thou so you will get some snow and ice. The climate you are looking for sounds like Northern California and Seattle thou. Good luck

Old 09-04-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Why does everyone not want to live in the South. I used to live in NY and MA before the so called most educated part of the country and they had a lot of ignorant people in the Northeast as well. The South really is not like Hollywood makes it out to be. People are just people everywhere you go.. we are all Americans. I do like the climate way better out West thou. The South does tend to have really hot and humid summers. Most of the South besides Florida has all four seasons thou so you will get some snow and ice. The climate you are looking for sounds like Northern California and Seattle thou. Good luck
I don't know why he's against the South, tbh. He says the humidity and bible thumpers. Lol.

I honestly wouldn't have ruled it out. More relaxed pace of life, more family oriented, and great for an outdoors lover like me! And there are plenty of thriving cities.

Hmm. I think I'll try to get him to consider some parts of the south.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:43 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,913,870 times
Quote:
I don't know why he's against the South, tbh. He says the humidity and bible thumpers. Lol.

I honestly wouldn't have ruled it out. More relaxed pace of life, more family oriented, and great for an outdoors lover like me! And there are plenty of thriving cities.

Hmm. I think I'll try to get him to consider some parts of the south.
Atlanta, Austin, Dallas and Nashville are very diverse.. they literally have people move to those cities from all 50 states. The South/Southwest is growing faster than any other part of the country. Other than the heat and humidity and believe me it can wear you out after a year or two... I love the south and southwest. The people are super outgoing here and way more gracious in general than the East Coast.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Most of FL from Tampa down is not going to be culturally Southern, but you have humidity in spades.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:04 PM

18,642 posts, read 23,230,355 times
Quote:
He's mainly concerned about safety issues with driving in snow. He doesn't like the cold that accompanies it, either. Or power outages from snowstorms, shoveling, etc.

He's from Long Island, born and raised. I'm from San Francisco. So to me, snow is a beautiful treat, because of memories of skiing and snowboarding with family and friends in North Lake Tahoe for a week each winter. To him, it's a dangerous hassle.

Oh, he's from Long Island. I am originally from Long Island - Oyster Bay Cove, to be exact.
Long Island gets less snow than most of the North East because of the warming effects of the ocean. Long Island winters are not warm, but there isn't a huge amount of snow. I was shocked by the amount of snow that fell when I went to college in New England.

It really is hard to think of a place that is not southern and has no snow. Very little snow is about the best he's going to do.

Portland sounds good. If you are interested in the East Coast, coastal Maryland and Delaware are pretty mild. Again, if you hug the coast, you will have much less of a chance of snow that in a inland location of the same latitude.

Delray Beach Florida does not feel at all southern and it's rather attractive. I don't think it ever snows there. He might meet some old friends from The Island down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or