U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 07:55 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,197,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My husband and I are wanting to move OUT of California in a few years. Does anyone know any decent cities that fit the following criteria:

- Doesn't snow, or at least VERY minimally
- Not in NV, AZ, NM, TX, FL or anywhere considered the South
- Not Hawaii

These are all my husband's conditions, and he's most adamant about the no-snow one (he's from NY). I'm not as picky, I just want out of California.

So far, all we can think of that meets these requirements are Portland OR and Seattle. Any other ideas?
First of all, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas are not Southern by any stretch of imagination; they are in the Desert Southwest region.

Based on that premise, try lowland Arizona, and southern Nevada, cities including Phoenix, Las Vegas, from each state respectively. The dry, desert climate, and very mild winters, combined with low elevation in those cities, aren't conducive to winter snow. New Mexico and Western Texas, while dry, are much higher in elevation, making them more prone to snow in the winter, so they are out according to your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Eugene, Oregon only gets around 2.8 inches of snow a year. It might be the best you'd do unless you lived somewhere on the coast, like Astoria.

There's virtually nowhere except for Southern California and South Florida that it absolutely never snows in the country. Of course, there are many more areas where snow is so rare/light that it melts on its own and no shovel is needed. I'm guessing shoveling is your husband's issue.
In addition to those two areas, the Coastal South (both the Gulf Coast, and South Atlantic), lowland Arizona, and Hawaii also never receive snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Trust me...when it's 105 in the shade during the day and 90+ degrees at 10pm outside is the last place you'll wanna be. Summer in Texas (and the southeast in general) is absolutely lousy if you like the outdoors.
Not true. Those conditions don't exist in the South at all. The US South is a subtropical paradise, especially the coastal portion. Summer days in the Coastal South always have lots of fluffy clouds that pass over the sun, lots of huge, subtropical trees that provide shade, lots of tropical-style storms that offer relief during, and after their occurrence, and lots of ocean breezes to keep things cool. They are not lousy by any stretch of imagination. I see people doing all sorts of outdoor activity en-masse in the Coastal South, even in the middle of afternoon. You will not need A/C nor Heat to live in the Coastal South.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,460 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
In addition to those two areas, the Coastal South (both the Gulf Coast, and South Atlantic), lowland Arizona, and Hawaii also never receive snow.

Not true. Those conditions don't exist in the South at all. The US South is a subtropical paradise, especially the coastal portion. Summer days in the Coastal South always have lots of fluffy clouds that pass over the sun, lots of huge, subtropical trees that provide shade, lots of tropical-style storms that offer relief during, and after their occurrence, and lots of ocean breezes to keep things cool. They are not lousy by any stretch of imagination. I see people doing all sorts of outdoor activity en-masse in the Coastal South, even in the middle of afternoon. You will not need A/C nor Heat to live in the Coastal South.
Stop, please. The coastal south does on rare occasion get snow or ice. I've been there when it happened, in Mobile. And all I'm going to say is it takes a special kind of person to live there with no AC or heat and not be uncomfortable, it's not a at all doable for the average person. Most people also do the majority of their more strenous outdoor activities in the cooler temps of the mornings and evenings, water activities being the big exception.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:26 PM

233 posts, read 281,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere2 View Post
I know that it's probably not somewhere you'd think about quickly, but how about Nebraska? Barely snows there, and Omaha is a very nice city.
Barely snows in Omaha, Nebraska? I would love to see someone jump off of their puddle hopper plane at the Omaha airport in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt in January only to be knee deep in snow.

Omaha definitely experiences Upper Midwestern winters with LOTS of wind and cold in my experience and time spent there.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:35 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Omaha, NE gets 26" of snow a year, on average. That's slightly more than NYC.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Omaha, NE gets 26" of snow a year, on average. That's slightly more than NYC.
And boy does that cold wind whip in off those western plains! Yeehaw watch your tears freeze!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 PM

11,055 posts, read 4,860,550 times
yep, I'm gonna veto Omaha! lol

Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
and southern Nevada, cities including Phoenix, Las Vegas, from each state respectively. The dry, desert climate, and very mild winters, combined with low elevation in those cities, aren't conducive to winter snow. New Mexico and Western Texas, while dry, are much higher in elevation, making them more prone to snow in the winter, so they are out according to your wishes.
And here you go again. Where do you get this stuff? I'll give you Phoenix, but I lived in Las Vegas for 4 years, and every single one of those 4 years it snowed at least once. Even when it doesn't snow, the winters there can get pretty cold, with a constant wind blowing all winter long, keeping the chill factor at uncomfortable levels.

Las Vegas is in the high Mojave desert. The Western half of the metro sits well above 2,000 feet above sea level. Yes, there are palm trees there, but they are a species of palm trees that can take the colder weather.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
yep, I'm gonna veto Omaha! lol
lol, well I wasn't saying that. It is still worth considering. My cousin and her husband just bought a very nice home there in a beautiful area. It is very suburban in some areas, where it is hard to find anything built longer than ten years ago. But there are a lot of safe areas and nice people in that area.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Quote:
You will not need A/C nor Heat to live in the Coastal South.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:16 PM

11,055 posts, read 4,860,550 times
Why must it be so hard to find even a few cities that fits the basic criteria?

I honestly had no clue it'd be so stumping...the US is a huge country!!

gah...maybe we'll just have to stay in CA. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or