U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Not true. Those conditions don't exist in the South at all. The US South is a subtropical paradise, especially the coastal portion. Summer days in the Coastal South always have lots of fluffy clouds that pass over the sun, lots of huge, subtropical trees that provide shade, lots of tropical-style storms that offer relief during, and after their occurrence, and lots of ocean breezes to keep things cool. They are not lousy by any stretch of imagination. I see people doing all sorts of outdoor activity en-masse in the Coastal South, even in the middle of afternoon. You will not need A/C nor Heat to live in the Coastal South.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:30 PM

6,554 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Quote:
Not true. Those conditions don't exist in the South at all. The US South is a subtropical paradise, especially the coastal portion. Summer days in the Coastal South always have lots of fluffy clouds that pass over the sun, lots of huge, subtropical trees that provide shade, lots of tropical-style storms that offer relief during, and after their occurrence, and lots of ocean breezes to keep things cool. They are not lousy by any stretch of imagination. I see people doing all sorts of outdoor activity en-masse in the Coastal South, even in the middle of afternoon. You will not need A/C nor Heat to live in the Coastal South.
I'm calling a massive BS flag on that one. While the coast may not see ambient temps near 100, the heat index (product of temp + humidity, measured in the shade) is routinely at or above 100 degrees, and I'd bet for a vast majority of people that is intolerably uncomfortable.

Mobile, AL 8/22/2014
2:53 PM Air Temp 93.0 F
Heat Index 105.3 F
Dew Point 75.9 F
Humidity 57%

Last edited by bluescreen73; 09-04-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't know why he's against the South, tbh. He says the humidity and bible thumpers. Lol.

I honestly wouldn't have ruled it out. More relaxed pace of life, more family oriented, and great for an outdoors lover like me! And there are plenty of thriving cities.

Hmm. I think I'll try to get him to consider some parts of the south.

Please keep him out of the South. We do not need his ignorance here.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 PM

12,332 posts, read 10,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Stop, please. The coastal south does on rare occasion get snow or ice. I've been there when it happened, in Mobile. And all I'm going to say is it takes a special kind of person to live there with no AC or heat and not be uncomfortable, it's not a at all doable for the average person. Most people also do the majority of their more strenous outdoor activities in the cooler temps of the mornings and evenings, water activities being the big exception.

That poster is on the strangest mission to prove the South is a subtropical paradise lol. He just never quits. When you mention that Mobile went down to the single digits in temps in the 1980's, he talks about how North America is in a cold epoch, while the rest of the world is in a warm epoch. That poster knows nothing about climate or meteo. Just ignore the ramblings.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
My husband and I are wanting to move OUT of California in a few years. Does anyone know any decent cities that fit the following criteria:

- Doesn't snow, or at least VERY minimally
- Not in NV, AZ, NM, TX, FL or anywhere considered the South
- Not Hawaii

These are all my husband's conditions, and he's most adamant about the no-snow one (he's from NY). I'm not as picky, I just want out of California.

So far, all we can think of that meets these requirements are Portland OR and Seattle. Any other ideas?
I don't know where in CA you are, but I'm sure you know it's a big place. One person's version is the polar opposite of another's.

Your criteria has eliminated nearly anywhere worth recommending, as many of those places are IN California, or the other states you've given nays. What are the problems with the individual states or the South?

To be completely honest, your once annual Seattle or Portland snow experience will be many levels worse than most snowstorms in many places that get regular snow. Moving to the NW will not shield you from your earthquake fear.

My answer: St. George, UT.

Spoiler
I did it, that's the one.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,335,610 times
Quote:
First of all, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas are not Southern by any stretch of imagination; they are in the Desert Southwest region.

Based on that premise, try lowland Arizona, and southern Nevada, cities including Phoenix, Las Vegas, from each state respectively. The dry, desert climate, and very mild winters, combined with low elevation in those cities, aren't conducive to winter snow. New Mexico and Western Texas, while dry, are much higher in elevation, making them more prone to snow in the winter, so they are out according to your wishes.

In addition to those two areas, the Coastal South (both the Gulf Coast, and South Atlantic), lowland Arizona, and Hawaii also never receive snow.

This is a strange post. It can get hotter than hell around here, and the humidity is high. Being native, I love it. Being in a state that has attracted a lot of new comers, this is horrible advice. I have seen many transplants just melt into their foyers and close the door. If you are acclimated, you can more than enjoy the outdoors. Have no illusions though, it's hot down here!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:20 AM

69 posts, read 55,083 times
Quote:
Why must it be so hard to find even a few cities that fits the basic criteria?

I honestly had no clue it'd be so stumping...the US is a huge country!!

gah...maybe we'll just have to stay in CA. :/
Cali honestly isn't so bad, I'm never leaving lol. You could maybe move to less expensive areas in Cali, maybe Inland, and then commute to la for work? It'd be less than an hr drive but a lot more affordable, there's also quite a few cozy little towns hidden there.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:35 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,799,834 times
City to move to that doesn't snow, and isn't in the South?-dbacks-snow-5.jpeg

City to move to that doesn't snow, and isn't in the South?-snow.jpeg

Uhh, we may not get snow in Phoenix, but last year we got graupel, a combination of snow, rain and hail. Of course, it didn't last long, but it was entertaining. My recommendation would be to move inland and stay in California.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM

11,055 posts, read 4,860,550 times
Quote:
LittleFishBigPond;36371284]Cali honestly isn't so bad, I'm never leaving lol. You could maybe move to less expensive areas in Cali, maybe Inland, and then commute to la for work? It'd be less than an hr drive but a lot more affordable, there's also quite a few cozy little towns hidden there.
Yeah, if we stayed in CA, I'd probably want to go down to San Diego or the Orange County areas. Both places are mostly a bit cheaper than SF proper, and I like the vibe/climate more. So does the hub.

And then instead of two big earthquake faults to deal with (San Andreas AND Hayward), we just have one! xD

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 AM

78 posts, read 113,455 times
Seems like the only option that sort of meets your requirements is North Carolina, for instance Raleigh, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or