U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 18,467 times

Advertisements

Dear readers,

I am looking to immigrate to the US. I am from Holland, been to the US twice now for a month. I hold a bachelor of Business Economics from the University of Amsterdam. First order of business should be a job.

I absolutely love states like Wyoming, Colorado, Vermont, Tennessee and Oregon. However I do not think some of those are the optimal states to start working.

Which states (and cities) would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 AM

21,241 posts, read 30,495,025 times
I would recommend cities such as New York City, Washington DC, Boston MA, Chicago IL and Atlanta GA which have a very significant presence of multi-national companies with European ties where you might be able to take advantage more so of your Dutch background and presumed grasp of at least two to three languages. While some are evidently more expensive than your other choices I would bet job options would be a good bit more available, as well as more lucrative than your initial list save perhaps Portland OR or Denver CO. Atlanta could be the wildcard as it has a surprising number of major companies based there or with satellite offices, and provides a very affordable lifestyle similar to Tennessee which was on your favored list.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 AM

56,892 posts, read 81,238,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would recommend cities such as New York City, Washington DC, Boston MA, Chicago IL and Atlanta GA which have a very significant presence of multi-national companies with European ties where you might be able to take advantage more so of your Dutch background and presumed grasp of at least two to three languages. While some are evidently more expensive than your other choices I would bet job options would be a good bit more available, as well as more lucrative than your initial list save perhaps Portland OR or Denver CO. Atlanta could be the wildcard as it has a surprising number of major companies based there or with satellite offices, and provides a very affordable lifestyle similar to Tennessee which was on your favored list.
This and this list of stock exchanges may offer a few other possibilities: List of stock exchanges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,935,369 times
Open a dutch bakery in the states lol.. just kidding. My grandparents came to the US from the Holland in the 20s or 30s and immigrated to New York City. NYC was founded by the Dutch and still has a lot of Dutch immigrants to that to the Big Apple. They came to America and had help from family and the Jewish community in NYC at the time. Like Kyle said if you are in business and an international you might want to try NYC, Washington DC or Atlanta or maybe Chicago because they all have large inter-national business communities. Good Luck and God Bless.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:15 PM

35 posts, read 38,709 times
Come to NYC! And good luck!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 PM

22,800 posts, read 28,912,620 times
First, you have to be eligible for a visa. Unless you can qualify as a US citizen, the easiest to obtain would be a work visa, but you can't apply for that yourself. You must find a company to hire you and they apply for permission to bring you to the States as an employee.

So, you will move to a place where you have found a job.

If you like the western states Seattle Washington has an immense business community. Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco are the business centers of California.

Denver Colorado and Portland Oregon are possible, although there is less of a business culture there. It's worth looking, though.

If you are fluent in several European languages, that skill is more valuable on the East coast of the USA. Chinese and Japanese are more valuable on the West coast. However, that doesn't mean that European languages are worthless on the West coast.

Since you have a degree, I suggest that you apply to some of the larger universities and see if they will hire you are an instructor of the Dutch language with maybe a few classes of European culture (probably labeled as Humanities). That's worth a try, at any rate. A work visa for a visiting professor is about the easiest to obtain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.