U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle Of The States: NY vs CT vs NJ
New York 20 60.61%
Connecticut 6 18.18%
New Jersey 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:04 AM

215 posts, read 303,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
I'm a little confused on the repeated Six Flags reference? ... who cares about a tacky six flags? I voted New York and NOT for NYC.

I voted because I think Buffalo has great potential, Upstate recreation, Canadian exposure, and the Great Lakes proximity - also the culture up there.
It's nice to see Buffalo get some love around here. It truly has been coming around again and I am glad I get to witness it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
New York: Known for NYC, arguably the worlds best city. NYC is known for its very low crime rate, tourist attractions, the Plaza Hotel, and its food. There is also a lot of tourism upstate, like Niagara Falls, the Finger Lakes, the Great Lakes, Lake George, 1000 islands, etc. There are also 4 major cities Upstate. Crime is mostly in the smaller cities (Newburgh, and Schenectady) while the 4 major cities are dropping crime. Like NJ (read below), there is a Six Flags there.

Connecticut: CT has 5 major cities with a population above 100K. It has sucky traffic (FFC), but it also very rich. That can be a bad thing, as a house can cost $400-500K when it costs under $200K in Upstate NY. Tourism is not as rich as Upstate NY, as most tourism is along the coastline, Northeast of New Haven. It is also known for its food, with New Haven having some of the best pizza. Stamford is very bland, and is really only for business. The other 3 cities are very depressed.

New Jersey: This state has some of the richest counties in America, but also the poorest. NJ is home to many ghettos (Atlantic City, Camden, Newark, etc) and the only city I would live in is Jersey City. With the exception of the Jersey Shore, there isnt that much tourism in the state itself. Most of the boardwalk was destroyed after Hurricane Sandy, and again with a fire destroying all the construction. Also, there is a Six Flags there.
This seems very random.

This whole comparison is odd, to be honest.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:12 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I wouldn't want to live in NY outside the metro region. Meanwhile, half of NJ IS in the metro region. You can probably see where I'd rather live if my name didn't give it away...

I wonder how many people are thinking of the city when they see "New York."
I grew up in the 'Tri-state area', so my vote was basically considering the state as a whole because in my mind New York City is 'Greater New York City' and includes parts of NJ and CT.

When I voted for NY it was because of things NY has that NJ and CT don't have, and in my opinion, both NJ and CT can, in some real sense, say they "have" NYC.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:09 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,518,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I grew up in the 'Tri-state area', so my vote was basically considering the state as a whole because in my mind New York City is 'Greater New York City' and includes parts of NJ and CT.

When I voted for NY it was because of things NY has that NJ and CT don't have, and in my opinion, both NJ and CT can, in some real sense, say they "have" NYC.
I agree with all that you said, and that's fair. You may be an exception though as you grew up here.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,050,929 times
New York--go big, or go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or