U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 PM

10 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Alpharetta GA....

Tech jobs (preferably a tech hub) - Lots of Tech Jobs
Low Crime Rate - yes
Comparatively good Weather - Yes
Little to none Bugs, Snakes, Scorpions, other creatures - Yes
Good schools (KG to 12) - Very yes
Diversity (at least some) - Somewhat
Home Affordability (Be able to buy ~2000 sq ft home (4-5 beds) for ~$400k house or condo; 20-30 min drive from core of the town: job dense area) - 3000sf home
Transportation (not being stuck in traffic for an hour during rush time; or other times for that matter. Or other good transportation such as trains etc.) - Within the Alpharetta Are around 20min if you need to go into ATL or other (off I285 cities, can be a bit of a commute/traffice, ) but there are lots of tech job in/around alpharetta.

Thanks. This is great! I will look into Alpharetta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Simi Valley, CA to live, has all your wants except the diversity (except Hispanic):

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0/sqft-9/sby-2

Downtown Los Angeles to work, 1 hour by train:

Train Schedules | Metrolink

Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 PM

56,571 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Albany NY: http://www.techvalley.org

Tech Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2014, 11:34 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Raleigh
While "no bugs" is debatable, the rest reads like a recipe for the city.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:50 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,832,254 times
Yeah, Raleigh/Durham fits the bill. Great culture there with Duke.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:18 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Denver

Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,761,065 times
I go with Raleigh, or south of Durham, or Chapel Hill, NC That whole Research Triangle Park area is supposed to be high tech as well as have some outstanding medical facilities and universities.

[I have 2 nephews who moved north of Charlotte, NC (Lake Norman area?), and they love it. My brother retired and he and his wife moved to the same area and love it there as well.]

The weather was fine, except for some higher humidity than I was exposed to where I grew up. A few times there was snow (melted within a few hours), several times icy/sleety. I enjoyed the mild changes of the seasons.

I regretted choosing a home so far from Raleigh (Raleigh/Durham was where all the jobs were--the kind I needed). It was a 50 minute commute, on a 65 mph highway. Hated it.
We weren't welcomed by the other residents of the area where we lived. It was too rural, most people were born and raised there, and there was most definitely an attitude towards us that we would never be fully welcome, because we were Yankees. I was called that a couple of times, too. There were people from other states in that area, and many of them loved the area, and got along fine with the locals, embracing their southern culture and mentality/perspective.

I can't speak for the culture in Durham or Raleigh since I didn't live there, but I felt much more comfortable spending my time there than the town where I lived. I'd go back, to southern Durham (I remember people said crime was less in the Southern part of Durham), or somewhere around there, but not sure if my husband would.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsegal View Post
Little to none Bugs, Snakes, Scorpions, other creatures
I never understood this when people post requirements. Are you really not going to move somewhere because of bugs, aside from Central Africa? It's not like they coat the windows anywhere. I find it funny. Same thing when people post about alligators. It's not like they're roaming the streets and shopping in your grocery stores.

I agree with others; Tri-Cities, NC is a good bet. Probably the most solid outside of the Bay area NYC. Here are some others (fastest growing):

Silicon America: A Map of Tech Hubs in the United States | StateTech Magazine

Old 09-10-2014, 01:19 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I never understood this when people post requirements. Are you really not going to move somewhere because of bugs, aside from Central Africa? It's not like they coat the windows anywhere. I find it funny. Same thing when people post about alligators. It's not like they're roaming the streets and shopping in your grocery stores.

I agree with others; Tri-Cities, NC is a good bet. Probably the most solid outside of the Bay area NYC. Here are some others (fastest growing):

Silicon America: A Map of Tech Hubs in the United States | StateTech Magazine
I guess you don't get listed in that link unless you have the tired word "silicon" in your name?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,037,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
These are the first two places I would have mentioned. Raleigh is a larger metro with more going on, but Huntsville is solid for a smaller place.
"Raleigh" should be considered a catch-all for Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, Cary, Apex and others. You get more bang for your $ in Durham, but school system is not at the level of Chapel Hill (I can't say anything about Raleigh/Wake County schools, but do know the area's expanding really fast and I'll bet that has a negative impact on physical and social infrastructure).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or