U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2014, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,401,621 times
Reputation: 1386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I guess you don't get listed in that link unless you have the tired word "silicon" in your name?
Just some examples, is all.

List of places with "Silicon" names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM
 
2,786 posts, read 3,963,138 times
Reputation: 3001
Raleigh would be my first choice. We visited there this past summer and I liked the area. Chapel Hill is expensive but there are many other choices of where to live. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 AM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I never understood this when people post requirements. Are you really not going to move somewhere because of bugs, aside from Central Africa? It's not like they coat the windows anywhere. I find it funny. Same thing when people post about alligators. It's not like they're roaming the streets and shopping in your grocery stores.

I agree with others; Tri-Cities, NC is a good bet. Probably the most solid outside of the Bay area NYC. Here are some others (fastest growing):

Silicon America: A Map of Tech Hubs in the United States | StateTech Magazine
You mean the Triangle? It's never called "Tri-Cities;" that typically refers to the Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol area of northeastern TN and southwestern VA. Tri-Cities, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,557 posts, read 10,261,428 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I never understood this when people post requirements. Are you really not going to move somewhere because of bugs, aside from Central Africa? It's not like they coat the windows anywhere. I find it funny. Same thing when people post about alligators. It's not like they're roaming the streets and shopping in your grocery stores.
Believe it or not there are places in the US that have fewer insects than others. I lived in Dallas for over a decade and quarterly pest control was an absolute must because of roaches, ants, spiders, lacewings, wasps, springtails, etc. 3 years in Denver and I haven't given the exterminator a dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post

I agree with others; Tri-Cities, NC is a good bet.
Triangle.

And it's not too buggy. At least not compared to areas farther south or east. The lower (both elevation and latitude) and warmer you get, the more bugs (generally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,401,621 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You mean the Triangle? It's never called "Tri-Cities;" that typically refers to the Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol area of northeastern TN and southwestern VA. Tri-Cities, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Triangle.

And it's not too buggy. At least not compared to areas farther south or east. The lower (both elevation and latitude) and warmer you get, the more bugs (generally).
Tri-Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes, Triangle is more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Believe it or not there are places in the US that have fewer insects than others. I lived in Dallas for over a decade and quarterly pest control was an absolute must because of roaches, ants, spiders, lacewings, wasps, springtails, etc. 3 years in Denver and I haven't given the exterminator a dime.
I'm sure of that. But it's not that big of a deal not to move somewhere. That's what I find silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 AM
 
29,905 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Reputation: 18439
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Tri-Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yes, Triangle is more common.
It's never called Tri-Cities in NC; it's always the Triangle or Triad. They are both 'triplex' metro areas but "Tri-Cities" isn't the term either is called by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,401,621 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's never called Tri-Cities in NC; it's always the Triangle or Triad. They are both 'triplex' metro areas but "Tri-Cities" isn't the term either is called by.
Not sure what to tell you, just going off of that link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
 
7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Not sure what to tell you, just going off of that link.
The link doesn't refer to the Triangle as the Tri-Cities. It lists both the Triad and the Triangle in the disambiguation section, but doesn't claim that either is ever referred to as the Tri-Cities. AND it's Wikipedia. So anyone can edit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2014, 04:22 PM
 
10 posts, read 7,719 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I never understood this when people post requirements. Are you really not going to move somewhere because of bugs, aside from Central Africa? It's not like they coat the windows anywhere. I find it funny. Same thing when people post about alligators. It's not like they're roaming the streets and shopping in your grocery stores.

I agree with others; Tri-Cities, NC is a good bet. Probably the most solid outside of the Bay area NYC. Here are some others (fastest growing):

Silicon America: A Map of Tech Hubs in the United States | StateTech Magazine

I guess if we stay close to downtown such as inside 410 loop of san antonio in a building 3rd floor or higher we should not see too many bugs? This is probably true of most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top