U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,916,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsegal View Post
Home Affordability (Be able to buy ~2000 sq ft home (4-5 beds) for ~$400k house or condo; 20-30 min drive from core of the town)
Transportation (not being stuck in traffic for an hour during rush time; or other times for that matter. Or other good transportation such as trains etc.)
You're not going to find this in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsegal View Post
Low Crime Rate
One thing I will never forget about visiting Raleigh, a few years back, was how much crime was reported on the local news. It was just one violent crime after the other.

Look hard at the crime rate there.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 AM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
One thing I will never forget about visiting Raleigh, a few years back, was how much crime was reported on the local news. It was just one violent crime after the other.

While I'm sure it isn't crime free, its city and metro crime rates are the best in the South for a center city and metro in terms of top 100 metros in the uS. http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...pzz14nmbuNuMJA

CQ Press: City Crime 2014

Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,521,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While I'm sure it isn't crime free, its city and metro crime rates are the best in the South for a center city and metro in terms of top 100 metros in the uS. http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...pzz14nmbuNuMJA

CQ Press: City Crime 2014
Yep. Taking a look at the 2012 FBI crime statistics, the Raleigh metro has a lower violent crime rate than the Austin or San Antonio metros, for example. Lower than South Bay (San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara), Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Phoenix, SLC, and pretty much every other metro mentioned in this thread. Heck, it's half that of Huntsville metro. FBI — Table 6

So maybe the newspeople there are just a tad sensationalist?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yep. Taking a look at the 2012 FBI crime statistics, the Raleigh metro has a lower violent crime rate than the Austin or San Antonio metros, for example. Lower than South Bay (San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara), Dallas-Fort Worth, Denver, Phoenix, SLC, and pretty much every other metro mentioned in this thread. Heck, it's half that of Huntsville metro. FBI — Table 6

So maybe the newspeople there are just a tad sensationalist?
That is a part of it and what is also interesting is how many Rust Belt metros have a lower metro crime rate.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:38 PM

29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

Actually Raleigh's crime rate is pretty low compared to many of its peers.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,203,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually Raleigh's crime rate is pretty low compared to many of its peers.
I fully admit that my sample size is small, since it comes from one visit a few years ago. My contribution was just an observation that formed a perception and stuck with me. The OP should make a decision that's based on a lot of input, not just mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or