U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:40 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,154,182 times

Advertisements

got a limited housing budget, two places I have finally narrowed it down to are NW Arkansas..around Fayettville, or the outskirts of Saint Cloud MN.......both have plenty of nice homes on acreage in my price range.......has anyone lived in both places?? Can you chime in? Which do think I should choose? thanks...I am in the PNW right now, but homes are too high for me to purchase....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:53 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times
How do you like shoveling snow?

Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 PM

well from what I understand NWA has a pretty large growing illegal immigration problem, and can get some severe tornadoes as well....I really don't want the long cold winters of MN, but not sure if AR would be a good fit...I never been there...but I been to Branson MO, and I liked that area a lot....and I have read many good things about Fayetteville AR, ....

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 AM

21,195 posts, read 30,388,339 times
I would head back to the drawing board. Neither strikes me as similar in any way, shape or form especially when factoring climate. There are many other areas of the country with nice homes on acreage that would fulfill your criteria suitably.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,222,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
How do you like shoveling snow?
I had the same thought. I lived through 10 years of winters in the upper Midwest. Although it has its charms in the summer, you couldn't pay me to live there in retirement.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,370,424 times
Have you considered southern Missouri? Much better winters than MN if you can handle the summers.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:54 PM

596 posts, read 676,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Have you considered southern Missouri? Much better winters than MN if you can handle the summers.
Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville) > southern Missouri

Old 09-07-2014, 04:10 PM

yes I was in Branson a year ago looking at houses for never made it down to Fayetteville..... Tornadoes troubled me a bit too though.....

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 09-07-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 04:55 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,718,331 times
Saint Cloud is just some random small city, its not even in the northwoods and there is nothing really special about the city except that it has a university.

I would recommend the outskirts of Brainerd, Grand Rapids, Duluth and Bemidiji.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:28 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,007,961 times
I've lived in SW MO, NE OK, and spent a lot of time in NWA mountains between Eureka Springs and Fayetteville. Western Arkansas is three mountain ranges: Ozark, Boston, and Quichitas(sp). Fayetteville sits in the Ozark Mountain Range where it borders the Boston Mountain. The TV drama North and South was filmed in Fayetteville.

NWA is steeped in history from Pea Ridge National Civll War Battlefield to the mineral springs bath houses and and horse racing of the 1930s in Hot Springs. You;ll find a mall, some nice small shops near UA campus, and pretty good medical care.

Fayetteville is in Washington County. Most of the time the weather is moderate, but there is the occasional storm that can be brutal. It is true there is a Hispanic population that lives near, and and works at, the chicken plant but that is at Decatur and closer to Gravette than Fayetteville. There are workers from Noel in SW MO who work in the same chicken place.

If I wanted acreage I would look West of Springdale, and West of Tontitown, and I would have a F150 with a 4x4. I might look at War Eagle which is in the Ozark Mountain bed below Eureka Springs. It is common to see trucks with dogs and guns in AR. .It is a very conservative thinking place that can have some radical ideas. NWA is the home of Walmart, Daisy Rifle, UA at Fayetteville, and some other stuff.

SW MO and NWA are as different as a cat and a boat. the only thing they have in common is a state line.

While you are in the area, you might take a look at Grove, OK. It is situated on Grand Lake in NE OK. The lake is 60,xxx square miles of surface water in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. It is a retirement area that can be very affordable in the county. The weather between Lake Road 8 (*south of Grove and the Honey Creek Bridge*) and the Town of Jay - particularly around the Zena area - can have horrible weather that includes tornadoes. Do not live in or around Zena.

Oklahoma is the Native State. It is home to more Native American Tribes than any other state. Eastern Oklahoma border is home to the nine confederated tribes, and the Five Civilized Tribes that include the home of the Cherokee Nation. Splitlog, the only church in America built by an Indian Chief using his own funds, is near Grove at Iron Horse Resort.

There is senior center, a community center where seniors meet, and senior group trips arranged through the local banks. You can also find a botanical garden at Lendonwood Garden where PNW plants flourish, and a 30 acres of antiques at Har-Ber Village. If you camp you will love Honey Creek Park in Grove because it is full service for primitive and RV campers. If you sail you will love the member owned Grand Lake Sailing Club. The launch can accommodate a 40 footer. There is a new movieplex theater, new library, golf and bowling, too.

The EMS and hospital are quite decent. It offers life flight to OK, MO and AR hospitals. Tulsa has some awesome doctors and hospitals. So does Grove. Both have some good restaurants. I miss the weekend breakfast buffet at Drake's on Main Street. Grove is small but only in stature. I has some amazing services for residents. There are some interesting volunteer jobs, too.

Grand Lake provides the water and the electricity to Grove. AT&T phone and internet, Suddenlink Cable, Family Y, many national stores, three pharmacies, two grocers, two lumber companies, tool rental, lake cruises, fishing guide, specular scenery, and community events. Pelican come in the fall. It is not unusual to see eagle or hawk, or scissortail, orKoit at the Japanese garden,

If is difficult to compare large to small. If you omit the water and traffic, and look at services Fayetteville and Grove are very much alike in what it offers. Is one better than the other? It is a matter of personal preference. I lived in Grove. I loved Fayetteville and my friends, and I visited often, but I did not like the traffic flow, and I disliked I-71 even more. Sometimes it was so congested it reminded me of I-5 in SoCal. What I really liked
about Grove was the traffic flow. Regardless of how busy it was, one can drive on side streets and bypass all of it.

I lived in SW MO three different times. I don't plan to return except to pass through it. .On the other hand I consider Grove a second home, and I would even consider Springdale - it really is a neat little community.

One last thing. Fayetteville and Grove both have a nice variety of reasonably priced housing stock. If I wanted a lot of acreage to run cattle or horses I would talk to Jack Forest at Forest Realty in Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or