U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 AM

16,017 posts, read 19,666,166 times

Advertisements

To be quit honest. Having read some of your other posts, just to see if you are a troll....I think you may need help, but not the kind you are discussing. I do wish you the best. Remember one thing. Life is what you make it. If you want things, working for them is the surest way.

I think your perceived notion that you can walk into a social service office in a city, in another State when you arrive at random is so off track that you are going to be shocked.

Most States require at least 6 mths of residence for things that you are wanting to happen, free housing, financial assistance is almost non-existent for a homeless person, unless they receive SSDI, which that application process can take years, and is made more difficult to collect when you do not have an address....and is based on physical and mentally disabling conditions, documented historically, for which you would need papers from home. You can't even get a library card without a local address in most places. Where will you charge your laptop?? Your cell phone?

If you are lucky, there will be a mission that will take you in where ever you are going. I hope that you checked ahead, small towns don't always have such things. Again, those that do most are charging residents fees, especially able bodied residents. So, nothing is really free, not in our world.
Why not pursue your plan right there, in your own town? Then at least you'll know if it fails, you have a place to go, Home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:13 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
To be quit honest. Having read some of your other posts, just to see if you are a troll....I think you may need help, but not the kind you are discussing. I do wish you the best. Remember one thing. Life is what you make it. If you want things, working for them is the surest way.

I think your perceived notion that you can walk into a social service office in a city, in another State when you arrive at random is so off track that you are going to be shocked.

Most States require at least 6 mths of residence for things that you are wanting to happen, free housing, financial assistance is almost non-existent for a homeless person, unless they receive SSDI, which that application process can take years, and is made more difficult to collect when you do not have an address....and is based on physical and mentally disabling conditions, documented historically, for which you would need papers from home. You can't even get a library card without a local address in most places. Where will you charge your laptop?? Your cell phone?

If you are lucky, there will be a mission that will take you in where ever you are going. I hope that you checked ahead, small towns don't always have such things. Again, those that do most are charging residents fees, especially able bodied residents. So, nothing is really free, not in our world.
Why not pursue your plan right there, in your own town? Then at least you'll know if it fails, you have a place to go, Home.
I personally don't believe the poster but whatever. He/she is similar to the many citydwellers who leave to live off the land in their hippie utopia. They return within a year.

Not sure about other states but section 8 vouchers are tough to come by even for those that qualify. The last article I read stated that some towns have waiting lists as long as years for the program.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,957 times
Honestly, sounds like an underage runaway.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,454 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
Now the other brilliant part of this is that I'll be in a college town, so if I'm homeless during the day I can read or sit in the library. And if the library is open 24 hours, I'll just take naps on the bean bag chairs...another facet is that when it's late I can wander into the bars and maybe find someone who takes a liking to me and offers me a couch for a while until I sort things out.
Alrighty then, if this isn't a joke do you realize that most libraries don't take kindly to the homeless using them as a shelter and that you aren't likely to have a lot of success with that idea?
And wandering into a bar to be basically picked up, that seems iffy at best, dangerous at worst.
You've got access to a computer, at least look up couch surfing instead of hoping to get lucky in a bar.

Gov't assitance for the able bodied is generally limited to five years during your lifetime. So unless you plan on having kids or shacking up with a welfare queen or are disabled in some way I don't think that's going to pan out for you. If it were that easy you don't think the streets and shelters would be full of homeless people right now do you?
If you're really determined not to work and you're reasonably attractive and personable you might consider being someones 'paid companion' or what used to be known as 'being kept'.

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-08-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 PM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Don't come to Oregon. There is no gevernment help except for single parents with minor children and the disabled. Eligible people can sit for years on waiting lists. No one gets any aid until they have been in the state long enough to establish legal residency.

There is a flaw in your small town idea. In every state, all the funds go to the biggest cities, where the majority of voters live, and the small towns are on their own, which means they don't have any money to hand out free to slackers who have just moved in. You'll have better luck in a huge city where you are just one of a huge mass of homeless being herded like infectious cattle through the shelters and soup kitchens. But at least there will be homeless shelters and soup kitchens instead of the local sheriff advising you to move on.

Or try a place like Detroit where there are miles of abandoned and decaying buildings where you can remove a window covering and squat and no one will care.

If you are young and good looking, there is an unattractive way that the homeless teens get cash, and that lifestyle is available to you as long as you don't mind the risk of non-curable disease or death by serial killer.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM

44 posts, read 66,873 times
judging by your posts, youre looking into new england(mass,vt, and nh). i can assure you, you will not live very long...temps are going to start to drop here in about 1 month. and the biggest thing, we dont really want your sorry ass. planning on living off the government, and using business for your personal pleasure isnt going to work. why dont you suck up your troubles get a damn job, and move to your own place, or stay out west.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 PM

149 posts, read 170,082 times
a lot of these posts are really freaking me out...and no I'm not a 'she'...

well hey, maybe this won't work, but at least I can say that I tried...Or died.

well the thing about this town is that there is such an abundance of inexpensive housing, sublets, blah blah, you name it...and again it's the type of town people actually want to live in, so if there are happy people, and happy social workers who actually like the place they live...okay maybe the logistics are that they just don't have a budget. Whatever, I don't know what will happen, but I'm willing to find out and take a little bus ride for the experiment. Is 7-8 hours really that long of a trip?

And no, I'm not going to take a risk in that sort of grotesque way...I'm only saying it's not uncommon to find like minded young folks who don't care whether you chill on their couch or not...that's all I'm saying, I was not implying anything sexual. And if worst comes to worst I'll put those improv society club meetings to use and I'll con my way into getting some sort of disability...I think they throw those things out like hot cakes. Maybe not? I don't actually know...but if worst comes to worst for real, I can always just ask around for a job???? and work my way to an apartment, sleep in the library during the day...Look the truth is I just want to live somewhere that has some oxygen, some trees, some fields and open space man...that's my dream right now...I'm gonna be stuck in this city for the rest of my life.com if I don't take a little risk...whatever happened to following your dreams, ''ain't nobody ever broke down...'' that's not true, folks break down everyday in the social services offices.

Okay, well I haven't left yet, but pretty soon...

Old 09-08-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEN78 View Post
judging by your posts, youre looking into new england(mass,vt, and nh). i can assure you, you will not live very long...temps are going to start to drop here in about 1 month. and the biggest thing, we dont really want your sorry ass. planning on living off the government, and using business for your personal pleasure isnt going to work. why dont you suck up your troubles get a damn job, and move to your own place, or stay out west.
I'm coming to New england and you can't stop me...it's not your land, acting like we don't want you... you can't claim that land, it's American land, and I have American lineage.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM

43,172 posts, read 41,773,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
a lot of these posts are really freaking me out...and no I'm not a 'she'...

well hey, maybe this won't work, but at least I can say that I tried...Or died.

well the thing about this town is that there is such an abundance of inexpensive housing, sublets, blah blah, you name it...and again it's the type of town people actually want to live in, so if there are happy people, and happy social workers who actually like the place they live...okay maybe the logistics are that they just don't have a budget. Whatever, I don't know what will happen, but I'm willing to find out and take a little bus ride for the experiment. Is 7-8 hours really that long of a trip?

And no, I'm not going to take a risk in that sort of grotesque way...I'm only saying it's not uncommon to find like minded young folks who don't care whether you chill on their couch or not...that's all I'm saying, I was not implying anything sexual. And if worst comes to worst I'll put those improv society club meetings to use and I'll con my way into getting some sort of disability...I think they throw those things out like hot cakes. Maybe not? I don't actually know...but if worst comes to worst for real, I can always just ask around for a job???? and work my way to an apartment, sleep in the library during the day...Look the truth is I just want to live somewhere that has some oxygen, some trees, some fields and open space man...that's my dream right now...I'm gonna be stuck in this city for the rest of my life.com if I don't take a little risk...whatever happened to following your dreams, ''ain't nobody ever broke down...'' that's not true, folks break down everyday in the social services offices.

Okay, well I haven't left yet, but pretty soon...
The minute you apply for any government services, including disability, they will flag you and start hunting you down for those unpaid student expenses.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 PM

nobody hunts people down...getting letters in the mail, phone calls, that's hunting people down? I keep my cell phone off most of the time anyway... you can defer those loans too, nobody is caring about that...people get wrapped up in the wrong stuff man. There is still this thing called life happening, and spontaneity, regardless of money and loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or