Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 04:53 AM

149 posts, read 207,138 times

Advertisements

If I show up to the social services office in the state of ________, will I get expedited rental assistance, or will I be sleeping in the park?

My idea--because I need to relocate ASAP, and not live with mom and dad--is to go to a college town with not such a huge population...under 15,000. And I'll take a bus down with the small amount of money I have.

So maybe if I go into a smaller town I can have an easier shot at getting some help from the social services office...maybe I can get myself into an apartment without a ton of difficulty. Now the other brilliant part of this is that I'll be in a college town, so if I'm homeless during the day I can read or sit in the library. And if the library is open 24 hours, I'll just take naps on the bean bag chairs...another facet is that when it's late I can wander into the bars and maybe find someone who takes a liking to me and offers me a couch for a while until I sort things out. I think when you take a big risk like this, you will have an easier time finding people who will help you out in person.

So does anyone know if certain states would be more or less likely to help me out? And would anyone know of a good college town to relocate to? I'm really open to anywhere in the US (that I can get to on a greyhound). I currently live in New York state.

Last edited by transientsalmon; 09-08-2014 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
What is so dire that you need to move and become homeless in another state? I would seriously give that some thought. Do you plan to go to college? That might be a good idea versus hanging out near one. There are student loan and grant programs which can provide you housing, pay for tuition and other expenses including food.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
So others pay for your relocation and you take money away from those that really need it.

All I have to say is: Karma.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
If I show up to the social services office in the state of ________, will I get expedited rental assistance, or will I be sleeping in the park?

My idea--because I need to relocate ASAP, and not live with mom and dad--is to go to a college town with not such a huge population...under 15,000. And I'll take a bus down with the small amount of money I have.

So maybe if I go into a smaller town I can have an easier shot at getting some help from the social services office...maybe I can get myself into an apartment without a ton of difficulty. Now the other brilliant part of this is that I'll be in a college town, so if I'm homeless during the day I can read or sit in the library. And if the library is open 24 hours, I'll just take naps on the bean bag chairs...another facet is that when it's late I can wander into the bars and maybe find someone who takes a liking to me and offers me a couch for a while until I sort things out. I think when you take a big risk like this, you will have an easier time finding people who will help you out in person.

So does anyone know if certain states would be more or less likely to help me out? And would anyone know of a good college town to relocate to? I'm really open to anywhere in the US (that I can get to on a greyhound). I currently live in New York state.
No, no state is going to hand you an apartment.

If it were that easy, everyone would do it.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 AM

149 posts, read 207,138 times
All I can say right now is....Bus ticket purchased

Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
CALIFORNIA! Super cool to the homeless!
Attached Thumbnails
if I show up homeless to state X...-homeless.jpg  

Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
All I can say right now is....Bus ticket purchased
To where??

Old 09-08-2014, 07:57 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
The prudent thing is to get a job and a room ,most are part time any way, then get schooling you can afford .
Student loans are a joke and they are not getting paid off .
Looking at the economy rationally the future for work is not looking great no matter what field your aiming at.
Besides, having a job while going to school gives you a heads up on a job history , which most students don't have ,making it harder for them to get jobs .
Employers are looking for the reputation and work ethic, more than skill , because it is likely that you will have to learn how they want things done any way.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,976 times
so where are you headed?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:50 AM

44 posts, read 91,296 times
this has to be the dumbest **** ive heard all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.